Shopping Discussion

Cross border shopping: false declaration..Am I flagged?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2011 7:47 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4100 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
tdeem1 wrote: watch what the border dude does when you pull up to the booth. He looks at the screen, asks/ takes your ID, glances at it and asks you a couple of questions.
he doesn't input where you say you are going
he doesn't input any of your identification
he doesn't input how long you claim you are going to be staying
(you can fib about all those things)

always rehearse your answers to:
Where are you from?
Where are you going?
How long are you staying?
Are you coming for business or pleasure?
What are you bringing across?

so, to Op -- buy your dad some vanity plates for christmas ( not one like SMUGLER) and the car will be good to go.

and finally, on your return trip make sure you do not hesitate when they ask "How long have you been in the USA?" -- have the date, don't answer with "since last Tuesday"

That's great advice. I strongly recommend lying, especially when entering a foreign country where you have very limited rights and are being admitted as a privilege. It's best if you do this in a country that's maybe a bit paranoid and is known to tail people to verify if they're doing what they say, and conduct export checks to do the same. :facepalm:

PS: You're wrong about most of what you stated too.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6836 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
tdeem1 wrote: when you get to the border, the license plate is photo'd and scanned.
obviously the information is shared between US customs & CDN customs or they wouldn't know you're lying when you say you've been over for 48 hrs, when it is really 32 hrs.

watch what the border dude does when you pull up to the booth. He looks at the screen, asks/ takes your ID, glances at it and asks you a couple of questions.
he doesn't input how long you claim you are going to be staying
(you can fib about all those things)

always rehearse your answers to:
Where are you from?
Where are you going?
How long are you staying?
Are you coming for business or pleasure?
What are you bringing across?

so, to Op -- buy your dad some vanity plates for christmas ( not one like SMUGLER) and the car will be good to go.

and finally, on your return trip make sure you do not hesitate when they ask "How long have you been in the USA?" -- have the date, don't answer with "since last Tuesday"
Misinformed people make me laugh.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
like people have said, lesson for everyone... declare the right amount!

i cross regularly and have never been charged taxes.

last time i crossed was last wednesday, and i declared $250 and my friend declared $150.

i have been honest every single time and haven't had issues. i was stopped my first time (back in 2007), they just searched my car and then let me go.

the canadian border is generally nice to me. i had an issue with one lady late last year:

her: so what are you bringing back to the country?
me: well i went to visit my cousin at school and he gave me some dirty clothes to bring back home
her: what's the value?
me: there is no value.. i don't know?
her: pop your truck
me: ok
her: so you have a suit case in there, what's the value of the suitcase?
me: i don't know.. i didn't buy it. there's dirty clothes in there
her: give me a value
me: $50
her: go ahead

:|

however, i have beef with the US border as they love these "random" inspections. i had 2 in one month last year :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1239 posts
100 upvotes
Beamsville
al3x89 wrote: l

the canadian border is generally nice to me. i had an issue with one lady late last year:
She much like myself was probably wondering why on earth you were bring back your cousins dirty clothes lol. Italian? taking them home for Mama to wash? ;)

I've been charged "taxes" never duty on 2 of the 4 set's of motorcycle tires I've brought over, 15 minute trip $200-250 value. And I've had to pay taxes once when the wife went nuts back to school shopping, that was over $600 of stuff. Other than that I've had 1 secondary inspection when I brought over a pair of paintball tactical vests (declared), no taxes or duty just a search. I imported a bike in Dec 09 and it was a breeze on both sides of the border, and yes I had to pay taxes on that one lol, but it was factored into my budget.

I cross weekly, 2 people and we've been waved through with as much as $350 between the two of us on a two hour trip, a friend got waved through with an $800 dishwasher just last month. There's really is no reason to try to wiggle out of things, at the worst you'll pay the taxes. I've asked about "duty" a few times and the general response is if they catch you lying then they will look everything up and charge the appropriate duty plus taxes but normally they just charge the taxes on anything over the limit.

Any smart cross border shopper factors in taxes at the border, then if you get waved through it's an added bonus.
Dec 16, 2004
765 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
tdeem1 wrote: asks/ takes your ID, glances at it and asks you a couple of questions.

I'm pretty sure they scan my passport every time I cross back in to Canada - not sure if they do it on the way in but I imagine they would. Also US border personnel have asked to see my hotel and flight confirmations when I am driving over to fly out of BUF.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6836 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
dishguy1977 wrote: I'm pretty sure they scan my passport every time I cross back in to Canada - not sure if they do it on the way in but I imagine they would. Also US border personnel have asked to see my hotel and flight confirmations when I am driving over to fly out of BUF.

Don't pay attention to that guy, he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
woobie wrote: She much like myself was probably wondering why on earth you were bring back your cousins dirty clothes lol. Italian? taking them home for Mama to wash? ;)

haha no, not italian.

i don't care about her asking me, but wtf.. i can't give you a value on something like that.