• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 5:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Cityscape wrote: So I live in BC but do shop a bunch in the US. I'm not a citizen or resident of the US and don't have an SSN. Is there anywhere in the US that I could get a credit card from? Everywhere I've looked online seems to require the SSN.
Discover card. Apply with your SIN over the phone.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jul 25, 2013
59 posts
5 upvotes
Northern BC
brunes wrote: Discover card. Apply with your SIN over the phone.
Will they accept a Canadian address? And will my SIN conflict with the SSN number of another American? (I'd hope not)

Have you done this or know someone that has?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
SSN and SIN are not the same numbering
Cityscape wrote: Will they accept a Canadian address? And will my SIN conflict with the SSN number of another American? (I'd hope not)

Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
Cityscape wrote: So I live in BC but do shop a bunch in the US. I'm not a citizen or resident of the US and don't have an SSN. Is there anywhere in the US that I could get a credit card from? Everywhere I've looked online seems to require the SSN.
I opened an Everyday Checking Account at Sterling Bank in Blaine. Minimum deposit is $100 with no monthly fees if you opt for eStatements. The account also includes a Debit Visa Card but they will also help you get a Visa Credit card as well. They are really friendly to Canadians and I used my SIN and Canadian address.
Cityscape wrote: Will they accept a Canadian address? And will my SIN conflict with the SSN number of another American? (I'd hope not)

I called Discover and applied over the phone. Depending on which csr you get, they may or may not allow you to apply with your SIN. I had to call a couple of times until I got someone that would accept my application without an SSN. I did however use my US address instead and mentioned that I also have a US checking account and and US issued Visa card which may have helped. I was then transferred to their credit approval dept and the other person verified some information and then I was instantly approved. Got my Discover Card less than a week later. This is YMMV.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
I might try the Discover card.. probably not though, I'm more interested in the BoA 3/2/1 cashback card. Taking a road trip in the next couple of months, 3% back on fuel would be nice!

We'll see.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
daverobev wrote: I'm more interested in the BoA 3/2/1 cashback card. Taking a road trip in the next couple of months, 3% back on fuel would be nice!
Thats a good card. They still have the promo where you get $100 cashback if you spend $500 within the first 90 days. I applied at the branch and forgot to mention the promo but then called in and they gave me the $100 casback.
After I redeemed the statement credit, I transferred to the Better Balance Rewards card where you get upto $100 cashback per year just by paying on time each month and having a positive balance each month. I figure, I could buy a pack of gum each month and qualify for the cashback. Another positive is that because I am just transferring to another BoA product, there is not another credit pull.
Details here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... rewards.go
Jul 25, 2013
59 posts
5 upvotes
Northern BC
redboy69 wrote: I opened an Everyday Checking Account at Sterling Bank in Blaine. Minimum deposit is $100 with no monthly fees if you opt for eStatements. The account also includes a Debit Visa Card but they will also help you get a Visa Credit card as well. They are really friendly to Canadians and I used my SIN and Canadian address.
This looks promising! They have a branch in Lynden too, which is great because I enter from the Fraser Valley. How would you go about transferring money from Canada to that bank or card to pay the bills.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
Cityscape wrote: This looks promising! They have a branch in Lynden too, which is great because I enter from the Fraser Valley. How would you go about transferring money from Canada to that bank or card to pay the bills.
I setup an online account through VBCE to take pre-authorized withdrawls from my CDN bank account and transfer it via ACH to my US checking account. Then I would use the online payment service from Sterling to pay for the US cards. This is all free of course.
There are other online sites where you can make transfers to US accounts but VBCE is convenient for me because they are in Vancouver and the rates they provide are pretty competitive.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
Tried Discover on the phone: They told me I'd need a US address AND an SSN or TIN.
Tried BoA on the phone: Weird, it goes to a US person but they transferred me to a line that says MBNA.ca while waiting; then it transferred to India and I just didn't want to spell everything out so I hung up.

I guess I'll do BoA in person when I go down to the US.

Oh yeah, I called RBC Bank too: The US Line of Credit has a $25 fee. Ugh!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
How long ago did TD bank get tight with their credit cards?

My friend applied in branch in Florida and got his CC approved and mailed up to him in Toronto. I took home the paperwork, but when I faxed it in they declined me (but due to having an older toronto address on file with transunion :@)

He told me he put CBI's address as his USA address on the form when we were in the branch. I did the same on my application but i don't know if I refax it in today if they'd accept it or not.
Jul 9, 2012
80 posts
11 upvotes
ACTON
RBC has a great virtual US Bank..... you can even do you own online transfers. Free use of PNC ATM's. Have had the account since 2010, - full banking, line of credit, credit card.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
So I opened a US RBC checking account and applied for one of their credit cards, but I was not approved because they couldn't find my credit score in the US. I thought they were supposed to assess my eligibility based on my Canadian credit score. What gives?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Aznsilvrboy wrote: So I opened a US RBC checking account and applied for one of their credit cards, but I was not approved because they couldn't find my credit score in the US. I thought they were supposed to assess my eligibility based on my Canadian credit score. What gives?
yes they should be, i will talk to your rep and ask him/her wtf happened and to follow up.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
I was approved over the phone without having a credit score in US within minutes. I had allot of problems setting up the accounts but once they were going I am fine. I suggest you contact RBC as we surely can't tell you why.
Aznsilvrboy wrote: So I opened a US RBC checking account and applied for one of their credit cards, but I was not approved because they couldn't find my credit score in the US. I thought they were supposed to assess my eligibility based on my Canadian credit score. What gives?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Okay so I called RBC and apparently I was approved for the Visa. They said it's normal to receive two letters: one rejection because of no US credit history and one approval letter based on Canadian credit history. My approval letter didn't arrive yet so that's why I thought I was rejected.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2004
2276 posts
226 upvotes
Got a letter in the mail to my US address from Chase. $125 bonus for opening an account. Visited a branch in Florida, opened the account and $125 has been deposited by Chase. Also have a US Visa Debit card from them. Chase has more B&M locations than PNC so it is a good supplement to my RBC account.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
peano wrote: Got a letter in the mail to my US address from Chase. $125 bonus for opening an account. Visited a branch in Florida, opened the account and $125 has been deposited by Chase. Also have a US Visa Debit card from them. Chase has more B&M locations than PNC so it is a good supplement to my RBC account.
I also have a Chase checking account. I would have liked to get a credit card from them but they said they don't really issue them to people with no credit history in the US. :|
Oct 31, 2013
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph
radiko wrote: BTW, I got a Macy's Store Card extremely easily (in 5 minutes or so).
Is there any downside of a Macy's CC? Does it only work at Macy's? Can Canadian sign up for their AMEX cards?

Seems like a much simpler process than going through the banks.
Jul 9, 2012
80 posts
11 upvotes
ACTON
Completed an online application for Discover Card. I have an SSN and a US based address. Was instantly approved. Already have RBC USA accounts, Signature VISA. Also have credit cards from Chase, PNC Bank and a MasterCard from Capital One USA. Looking forward to the 5% cash back from Discover.