Credit Cards

Cross-Border US Banking and Credit Cards Mega-Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2022 3:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
andriykoua wrote: That is correct
Seems better than RBC US account where you have to pay $3/month.

Just another question. With the TD US account will I be able to use their Visa Debit card to make purchases from US vendors like I'm able to do with my RBC US visa debit card?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2010
1963 posts
372 upvotes
Ottawa
you don't if you leave enough money in the bank

Matryx wrote: Seems better than RBC US account where you have to pay $3/month.

Just another question. With the TD US account will I be able to use their Visa Debit card to make purchases from US vendors like I'm able to do with my RBC US visa debit card?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Banned
User avatar
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Matryx wrote: Seems better than RBC US account where you have to pay $3/month.

Just another question. With the TD US account will I be able to use their Visa Debit card to make purchases from US vendors like I'm able to do with my RBC US visa debit card?
In order for you to get the TD Debit Visa (US) You have to either 1) visit a branch or h ave US mailing address. At least that's what I was told over the phone. and yes, once you have US issued Visa debit you may use it like RBC US Visa debit card. I would suggest getting a regular US credit card, that way you get cashback and other incentives.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
46875 posts
12801 upvotes
Markham
andriykoua wrote: In order for you to get the TD Debit Visa (US) You have to either 1) visit a branch or h ave US mailing address. At least that's what I was told over the phone.
Really? i have my TD US debit card shipped to my Canada address, is that another change recently?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 23, 2005
8850 posts
5331 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: Really? i have my TD US debit card shipped to my Canada address, is that another change recently?
Debit cards they can ship to Canada and you are able to have a Canadian address. I think he might have been referring to the actual Visa, the credit card.
Banned
User avatar
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
boyoflondon wrote: Debit cards they can ship to Canada and you are able to have a Canadian address. I think he might have been referring to the actual Visa, the credit card.
My apologies, yes Td Visa.
Member
User avatar
Jan 30, 2014
266 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
I recently opened the TD Bank convenience checking account at a Florida branch as well. One of the reps told me that as a Canadian we couldn't apply for the credit cards, on a second trip to the bank another rep told me that I was able to apply for it. Very misleading... next time when I visit the branch I will applied for it since this time I was rushing to get to the airport and fly back home.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
To anyone that has a Bank of America credit card and opened the account in branch:

How many did you try and sign up for at once? The three main ones they have actually all have worthwhile perks for me:
Cash Rewards - 3% on gas
Travel Rewards - 1.5% on everything, *no fee on foreign currency transactions*
Better Balance Rewards - free money!

I'm guessing I might manage "I'd like to have one on each network" (VISA & MC), but I really doubt they'd sign me up for all three!

Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
daverobev wrote: To anyone that has a Bank of America credit card and opened the account in branch:

How many did you try and sign up for at once? The three main ones they have actually all have worthwhile perks for me:
Cash Rewards - 3% on gas
Travel Rewards - 1.5% on everything, *no fee on foreign currency transactions*
Better Balance Rewards - free money!

I'm guessing I might manage "I'd like to have one on each network" (VISA & MC), but I really doubt they'd sign me up for all three!

Thoughts?
They wouldn't let me sign up for more than one so I signed up for the Cash Rewards card first because you get $100 back if you spend $500 in the first 90 days. After I got the $100, I transferred to the Better Balance to earn $25 each quarter. This would avoid another credit check as I am only transferring products and not applying for a new one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
redboy69 wrote: They wouldn't let me sign up for more than one so I signed up for the Cash Rewards card first because you get $100 back if you spend $500 in the first 90 days. After I got the $100, I transferred to the Better Balance to earn $25 each quarter. This would avoid another credit check as I am only transferring products and not applying for a new one.
Thanks - they confirmed you'd be eligible for the sign-up bonus when you apply in the branch? I read someone got diddled out of theirs. Did you use a Canadian or US address (where did they send your card - or do you get a temp. one there and then?)
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
andriykoua wrote: In order for you to get the TD Debit Visa (US) You have to either 1) visit a branch or h ave US mailing address. At least that's what I was told over the phone. and yes, once you have US issued Visa debit you may use it like RBC US Visa debit card. I would suggest getting a regular US credit card, that way you get cashback and other incentives.
Dang, I guess I'll have to stick with my RBC US checking account for now. I don't have a US mailing address except for my CBI mailbox. I thought the TD one you can just open up over the phone or in branch like the RBC account I opened.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
daverobev wrote: Thanks - they confirmed you'd be eligible for the sign-up bonus when you apply in the branch? I read someone got diddled out of theirs. Did you use a Canadian or US address (where did they send your card - or do you get a temp. one there and then?)
I actually only qualified for a secured credit card when I applied at the branch on their computer. The teller was nice enough though to fax my application in directly to their application dept and thats when I was approved. The card was sent to my US mailbox a few weeks later.

There was no mention of the bonus when I signed up but I just called customer service to request the $100 after I had spent $1000. They sent the the request to their rewards dept people and about 1-2 weeks later, the $100 reward was in my account. I guess I got lucky so this might be YMMV.

If you are looking for a US Mastercard, you might want to consider the Barclays Arrival Mastercard. Its good for $400 worth of travel if you spend $1000 within the first 90 days and annual fee is waived the first year. I'm going on vacation soon so I was just planning on churning this card with no intention of keeping it after the first year. I applied online using my SIN and US address and was approved instantly with $3000 credit limit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
redboy69 wrote: I actually only qualified for a secured credit card when I applied at the branch on their computer. The teller was nice enough though to fax my application in directly to their application dept and thats when I was approved. The card was sent to my US mailbox a few weeks later.

There was no mention of the bonus when I signed up but I just called customer service to request the $100 after I had spent $1000. They sent the the request to their rewards dept people and about 1-2 weeks later, the $100 reward was in my account. I guess I got lucky so this might be YMMV.

If you are looking for a US Mastercard, you might want to consider the Barclays Arrival Mastercard. Its good for $400 worth of travel if you spend $1000 within the first 90 days and annual fee is waived the first year. I'm going on vacation soon so I was just planning on churning this card with no intention of keeping it after the first year. I applied online using my SIN and US address and was approved instantly with $3000 credit limit.
Interesting - you applied using your SIN? Isn't that.. really quite dodgy? Doesn't the app state "only for US residents"?

I have an ITIN, not sure if that works for or against me!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
Oh yeah - another question - anyone get mail *forwarding* from a US mailbox to their home address in Canada? Did you fill in a USPS form blah blah due to Federal Law XYZ, or do they just forward letters on ok?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
daverobev wrote: Interesting - you applied using your SIN? Isn't that.. really quite dodgy? Doesn't the app state "only for US residents"?

I have an ITIN, not sure if that works for or against me!
I agree its strange that my application was accepted using my SIN but then again, I also have a FICO score based on my SIN.

On a side note, I highly recommend Credit Karma for anyone with US credit cards. Its free and really accurate. When I signed up for my Barclays Mastercard, I received an email alert the very next day about my a hard pull on my account.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
redboy69 wrote: I agree its strange that my application was accepted using my SIN but then again, I also have a FICO score based on my SIN.

On a side note, I highly recommend Credit Karma for anyone with US credit cards. Its free and really accurate. When I signed up for my Barclays Mastercard, I received an email alert the very next day about my a hard pull on my account.
I applied for this card last year and got refused. They said not enough credit history. Credit Karma?

I have on question for you. How did you answer the question about being a US Citizen?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
radiko wrote: I applied for this card last year and got refused. They said not enough credit history. Credit Karma?

I have on question for you. How did you answer the question about being a US Citizen?
I said no and then selected Canada as my country.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
redboy69 wrote: On a side note, I highly recommend Credit Karma for anyone with US credit cards..
What is credit karma?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
redboy69 wrote: I said no and then selected Canada as my country.
Did you put your primary address as US or Canadian? What about your employer, US or Canadian?

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)