• May 13th, 2022 3:31 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
andriykoua wrote: 100% correct
Not so. I just tried the Credit Karma and it failed to verify my identity even though I have 3 US credit cards and 1 Chequing account. It's been over 6 months that I have them.

In the US there are 3 major credit bureaus: EquiFax, Experian and TransUnion.

Not all Banks check all of them. Barclay, for instance, told me that I have nothing in Experian.

I'm guessing it would take a year to build a proper credit history in all major bureaus.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
radiko wrote: Not so. I just tried the Credit Karma and it failed to verify my identity even though I have 3 US credit cards and 1 Chequing account. It's been over 6 months that I have them.

In the US there are 3 major credit bureaus: EquiFax, Experian and TransUnion.

Not all Banks check all of them. Barclay, for instance, told me that I have nothing in Experian.

I'm guessing it would take a year to build a proper credit history in all major bureaus.

Edit: ooops sorry double post... 1st time it reported an error
I started with Mary's store credit card in in 2006 and moved my way to Amex and discover. It's fairly easy to get Boa Visa if you visit a branch. You would need Canadian Passport and D/L + US mailing address
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
radiko wrote: AFAIK, SSN is only numbers. Have you ever saw an SSN field in an Application that asks for more than 9 numbers?
SSN and Sin are both 9 characters long. As far as I know from auto generators SSN has letters. I never seen a real one lol
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
andriykoua wrote: Nothing would happen. US/can credit history are kept separate, also if you ever more to US and get SSN, have banks update your SIN with SSN, the only thing that would happen is that you would end up with a credit file and with good credit history. Treat SIN like imaginary number, because technically you can provide them with a fake #.
I would agree that the US and Canada credit history is kept separate. All of my US issued credit cards were applied using my US address and none of them show up on my Equifax Canada reports. However, when I used my Canadian address when I applied for my Target US and that shows up as a Credit Inquiry on my Equifax Canada report.

I'm just surprised that I actually have a FICO score.
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
redboy69 wrote: I would agree that the US and Canada credit history is kept separate. All of my US issued credit cards were applied using my US address and none of them show up on my Equifax Canada reports. However, when I used my Canadian address when I applied for my Target US and that shows up as a Credit Inquiry on my Equifax Canada report.

How long it's been since you applied for your first US CC?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
andriykoua wrote: SSN and Sin are never the same as SSN has letters and numbers, and SIN has numbers only. I hope I've answered your question.
Absolutely wrong. SSN does not have letters in. 9 digits, they just format it differently (xxx-xx-xxxx rather than xxx-xxx-xxx) - which doesn't mean they can't overlap!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 944AAS8pZv
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
redboy69 wrote: I would agree that the US and Canada credit history is kept separate. All of my US issued credit cards were applied using my US address and none of them show up on my Equifax Canada reports. However, when I used my Canadian address when I applied for my Target US and that shows up as a Credit Inquiry on my Equifax Canada report.

If you have credit, you'll have a file; if you have a file, they can generate a score off it!

I just got RBC (US) to report to my *ITIN* but as yet I have no US address (I want the statements to come here, there is apparently no secondary address on the RBC card...), I wonder how that'll work.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
andriykoua wrote: Overlap as in being identical? It's like winning the lottery :)
Yeah I know.. except that, in theory, there are one billion numbers - but some aren't used, or are for special purposes; and SINs are based on where you were born or immigrated to.

There are 1/3 billion Americans, right? I know - only 3x million Canadians. But the Canadian side's chance of that SIN existing is a big fat ONE - YOU have that SIN!

So I reckon there is a slightly more than 1/3 chance your SIN overlaps with an SSN...
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2552 posts
982 upvotes
ettebe wrote: I just signed up with the RBC BANK and I a bit confused with the website:

http://www.rbcbank.com/products-and-ser ... 97479.html
This page says you can use: PNC ATMs, VISA/PLUS ATMs and NYCE ATMs.

http://www.rbcbank.com/products-and-ser ... 97035.html
This page says you can use: PNC ATMs. Plus you get reimbursed 2/month for ATM fees at other banks.

Seeing VISA/PLUS ATMs would give me access to TD Bank and other banks ATMs.

So what is it?
You can *use* and you can use *fee free* are not the same ;) RBC might not charge you.. but other ATM providers might! So you can get money out at any old ATM, but if its not a PNC one you'll get charges from the ATM provider, which RBC will give back up to twice a month.
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
andriykoua wrote: for those wondering, this is what CreditKarma looks like. I just took a screen shot of my profile
When did you get your first US CC or Chequing ? I'm trying to figure out how long it takes to get a file. My CC are less than 6 months I guess. Maybe that's why I have no FICO yet.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
radiko wrote: When did you get your first US CC or Chequing ? I'm trying to figure out how long it takes to get a file. My CC are less than 6 months I guess. Maybe that's why I have no FICO yet.
I got my first US CC in 2006. I use US address for all my CC.
Jul 9, 2012
79 posts
11 upvotes
ACTON
Credit Karma is pretty fickle. Sometimes all my accounts report, then 2 weeks later they drop off and then all return 2 weeks later. I guess you get what you pay for. I set it up using my US address in FL. However both Target USA and Nordstrom which I have billed to my Canadian address and were set up with my SIN report to both my Canadian Reports and show up on Credit Karma which was set up with my SSN and US Address only. Quite odd.
Nov 23, 2010
687 posts
116 upvotes
Montreal
andriykoua wrote: I got my first US CC in 2006. I use US address for all my CC.
So that's why Credit Karma could not find me. My accounts are barely 6 months old.
Feb 1, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote
daverobev wrote: You can *use* and you can use *fee free* are not the same ;) RBC might not charge you.. but other ATM providers might! So you can get money out at any old ATM, but if its not a PNC one you'll get charges from the ATM provider, which RBC will give back up to twice a month.
Thanks. All I can hope for that I get approved for the RBC Bank Visa, so I don't have to deal with none-PNC ATMs seeing they don't serve: Texas or Hawaii or Vermont or parts of New York state (at least I am covered for NYC).
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
daverobev wrote: If you have credit, you'll have a file; if you have a file, they can generate a score off it!

I just got RBC (US) to report to my *ITIN* but as yet I have no US address (I want the statements to come here, there is apparently no secondary address on the RBC card...), I wonder how that'll work.
I have this question too.
Can a US credit report have a Canadian address, if that's the only one RBC has on file?
Jul 9, 2012
79 posts
11 upvotes
ACTON
Got my Discover Card today - what a presentation - box / packaging everything! Sweet looking card. The only store that I know that I have seen that takes it in Canada is Walmart - I don't think Sears accepts it anymore in Canada. Will have to give it a whirl to see what kind of a look I get when I use it there. Otherwise will be using it in the US!
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1634 posts
4230 upvotes
Pawtucket
tabcola wrote: Got my Discover Card today - what a presentation - box / packaging everything! Sweet looking card. The only store that I know that I have seen that takes it in Canada is Walmart - I don't think Sears accepts it anymore in Canada. Will have to give it a whirl to see what kind of a look I get when I use it there. Otherwise will be using it in the US!
Don't forget to sign up for the 5% quarterly bonus when you sign up your online account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)