• Aug 13th, 2021 9:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4259 posts
1863 upvotes
Toronto

Cross-shopping Honda Ridgeline & Rivian R1T

*flame suit on* but I'm legit looking for some type of online cost:benefit calculator tool that will help me find the "break even point" for comparing a traditional ICE (internal combustion engine) gas truck versus a full EV truck.

In other words, something to tell me; it will take X years before you realize the savings of not needing gas, oil changes, etc, based on my local utility rate and amount of estimated kilometers per year.

The cost difference between the two vehicles is pretty wide (configured the way I'd want to buy them):
  • 2022 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition = $56,963
  • 2022 Rivian R1T Adventure Package = $101,740

... Prices quoted above are MSRP and before taxes and negotiated discounts.

Being that the Rivian is just over $100K, IIRC there may not be any provincial/federal rebates available (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, and not derail it into a conversation about "real vs fake trucks" or "EV driving range", etc. This will be a truck for personal/family use only with occasional hauling to the cottage on weekends and future plans to tow/launch a pair of sea-doo's in the future.

FYI, I did consider the Ford F-150 Lightning EV, but its just way too big to fit into our garage at 232" long. The R1T and the Ridgeline are 217" and 210" , respectively.

It may very well be too far apart in price to realize any tangible cost savings for going EV, and I'm willing to accept that fact as I do my buying research.
22 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Subscribing to this gongshow!

You're going to need that flameauit @Repooc
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
Repooc wrote: The cost difference between the two vehicles is pretty wide (configured the way I'd want to buy them):
  • 2022 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition = $56,963
  • 2022 Rivian R1T Adventure Package = $101,740

... Prices quoted above are MSRP and before taxes and negotiated discounts.

Being that the Rivian is just over $100K, IIRC there may not be any provincial/federal rebates available (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Ever consider the Hyundai Santa Cruz (would be my small pickup pick) or the Ford Maverick?

The R1T should qualify for $55,000 in year #1 tax deductions if used for business under the federal iZEV program (same as any other EV used for business).
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transporta ... n-vehicles
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2390 posts
1974 upvotes
Montreal
Rivian will take 10 years (I have not done the math) or so to get any type of savings vs the Ridgeline if you manage to keep it that long.

Being a first time manufacturer of cars, I wouldn't buy them for a couple of years. There also planning to build smaller truck in years to come.

I would stick with Honda and see how the EV market goes in 3 to 5 years. In 2025+ is where EV will shine and be hotter than anything else.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
KevinM56081 wrote: Subscribing to this gongshow!

You're going to need that flameauit @Repooc
It'll only turn into a gongshow depending on who decides their opinion is importa.... Ahhh I see the usual's are already here...

Something like this OP?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7268 posts
1807 upvotes
Just ordered a Model Y and I'm driving like 10,000kms a year. Don't think of fuel cost saving. Think of saving the planet.

This is what my 8 years old son reminded me which I agreed. He loves the Tesla mainly because of that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
elpaso wrote: Rivian will take 10 years (I have not done the math) or so to get any type of savings vs the Ridgeline if you manage to keep it that long.

Being a first time manufacturer of cars, I wouldn't buy them for a couple of years. There also planning to build smaller truck in years to come.
It's not like the R1T and the Ridgeline are 100% comparable at the pricing differential outlined. You'll get a MUCH nicer, much more powerful and better driving truck in the R1T. For the average driver the gasoline payback timeframe on a $45k price differential is more like 15+ years.

As for quality, who really knows, can only make assumptions? Not sure how they can plan to build a smaller truck, as the R1T "Adventure Vehicle" already has a very small 4-1/2' bed (54")? Maybe a standard cab "fleet vehicle" setup?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2390 posts
1974 upvotes
Montreal
Rob_EV wrote: It's not like the R1T and the Ridgeline are 100% comparable at the pricing differential outlined. You'll get a MUCH nicer, much more powerful and better driving truck in the R1T. For the average driver the gasoline payback timeframe on a $45k price differential is more like 15+ years.

As for quality, who really knows, can only make assumptions? Not sure how they can plan to build a smaller truck, as the R1T "Adventure Vehicle" already has a very small 4-1/2' bed (54")? Maybe a standard cab "fleet vehicle" setup?
I tend to agree but yes they can make smaller pickups like Ford, GM and others have done. Shrink the cabin, smaller wheels, remove the tunnel storage, etc.

Let's see in a couple of years how they manage and if they ever come out with other vehicules.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
golden wrote: Just ordered a Model Y and I'm driving like 10,000kms a year. Don't think of fuel cost saving. Think of saving the planet.

This is what my 8 years old son reminded me which I agreed. He loves the Tesla mainly because of that.
Are there any potential environmental impacts to the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries used in EVs?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Unfortunately most of the online calculators are rather opaque and don't let you put your own information in. I made a spreadsheet for comparison between the ICE F-150 and the Lightning last month. The link no longer works, but I'll upload it again when I get home if you're interested.

Realistically though, you're extremely unlikely to get that cost back in any realistic timeframe. Assume a saving of in the region of $10-15k over the first 5 years (assuming average use) and probably a bit more over the next 5 years (due to more drivetrain maintenance on the ICE).

They're quite different vehicles at the end of the day though, so if you really want an R1T and can afford it then...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19009 upvotes
Richmond Hill
golden wrote: Just ordered a Model Y and I'm driving like 10,000kms a year. Don't think of fuel cost saving. Think of saving the planet.

You just opened a can of worms. 20pg gong show inbound.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Unfortunately most of the online calculators are rather opaque and don't let you put your own information in. I made a spreadsheet for comparison between the ICE F-150 and the Lightning last month. The link no longer works, but I'll upload it again when I get home if you're interested.

Realistically though, you're extremely unlikely to get that cost back in any realistic timeframe. Assume a saving of in the region of $10-15k over the first 5 years (assuming average use) and probably a bit more over the next 5 years (due to more drivetrain maintenance on the ICE).

They're quite different vehicles at the end of the day though, so if you really want an R1T and can afford it then...
You don't say......

Some members here suggest the EV payback is the first week past without a fill-up.
Dec 25, 2007
679 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
Gutty96 wrote: You don't say......

Some members here suggest the EV payback is the first week past without a fill-up.
The biggest win for the EV in terms of payback is the slow depreciation. Trucks are a bit different as the market as the market is also red hot for them right now. You can pretty much sell an old truck for the price of a new one..if you can wait.
When you compare say a 3 Series to a Model 3- that argument does hold true. Trucks, I would imagine the Ridgeline holds its value really well within the first 3 years. A Tacoma would probably fair even better

Going back on topic, the R1T seems like a bad idea to me. First vehicle from a new manufacturer is bound to have some serious headaches involved. Ridgeline for the win in this case. Once Rivian can prove their platform then maybe consider it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3475 upvotes
Barrie, ON
How can anyone make a comparison chart for a vehicle that's not even released yet? This is like comparing apples to submarines.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I suggest you buy an old school mechanical diesel. Turn the pump up. Trigger all the tree hugger and pull stumps out of the ground.

Pre 98 cummins would fit the bill.
Aug 20, 2009
9159 posts
4506 upvotes
The Ridgeline is a great truck for your use case and the maintenance is reasonable. I would suggest avoiding the R1T just because it's not only new but unproven and very expensive. The fuel savings stuff is not really worth considering in this scenario, especially with the R1T being so expensive upfront. You're correct, there are no federal incentives for that truck due to the MSRP being so high.

Also we're in the process of cleaning up this sub so making low content posts to troll others and people going overboard in evangelizing their personal choices everywhere are going to start getting infractions or suspensions.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3475 upvotes
Barrie, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: I suggest you buy an old school mechanical diesel. Turn the pump up. Trigger all the tree hugger and pull stumps out of the ground.

Pre 98 cummins would fit the bill.
6BT FTW!
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
mxthor3 wrote: 6BT FTW!
On a 5 speed stick! With upgraded valve springs, goverener springs. Arp head studs!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5221 posts
3648 upvotes
Ontario
Maverick hybrid gives a good balance of upfront cost vs fuel/planet saving if you want a smaller truck sooner rather than later.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mxthor3 wrote: How can anyone make a comparison chart for a vehicle that's not even released yet? This is like comparing apples to submarines.
Because you can input some reasonable assumptions based on what is released about the vehicles (i.e. battery size vs range to calculate approximate efficiency). The biggest factors are the users local costs - fuel, electricity, mileage and usage.

It's going to be wrong whatever you do, even after release - no one can accurately predict future energy prices or specific repair costs - but at least it gives you an idea of the costs involved.