Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
29656 posts
9211 upvotes
Toronto

Crossclimate 2 or ComfortDrive?

My Camry is in need of new 3 season tires. I have Xi3s for winter so winter performance isn't a factor here.

According to tirerack the Michelin Crossclimate 2 is the top rated grand tourer followed by the Goodyear Comfortdrive. And for what it's worth the CC2s are the top rated Consumer Reports' tire.

Price wise after taxes and rebates they're the same - $714-$716 (via blackcircles).

My only concerns with the CC2 is that it's a unidirectional tire so i don't know if that will be more of a hassle during tire rotations. Also I haven't read much about it's summer performance. Most of the positive reviews seem focused on how well it does in the winter. Lastly, it seems to have a high rolling resistance which may decrease fuel economy.

Any other thoughts or opinions? Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to shop around due to incoming price hikes :\
Be kind and civil with one another
27 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3015 posts
1363 upvotes
GTA
I have the ComfortDrive's in a 225/45/18 on my Mazda5 - not a quiet van to begin with - and they are indeed quiet.
Very smooth riding as well, and the grip is actually pretty decent too (dry, cold, and in the wet). Haven't tried them in the snow.

Can't compare to the CC2, but I would expect the CC2 to be more like a 3 season than a Grand Touerer, whereas the ComfortDrive is definitely a Grand Touring tire.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9054 posts
5309 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
CD does not have much mileage in terms of reviews vs CC2.

Since using winters look at dry and wet ratings... Pirelli Cinturato rates well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... ?type=GTAS
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12900 posts
2028 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote: My only concerns with the CC2 is that it's a unidirectional tire so i don't know if that will be more of a hassle during tire rotations.
I don't think so. You're generally rotating by moving the front tires to the rear, and rear tires to the front.

My pick is the CC2, especially if they're the same price.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
29656 posts
9211 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Since using winters look at dry and wet ratings... Pirelli Cinturato rates well.
I never gave those a look, but wow I would save ~$125 after taxes and rebates :O
Also seems highly rated
KorruptioN wrote: My pick is the CC2, especially if they're the same price.
any opinion on the CC2 vs the Cinturato P7 Plus 2?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9054 posts
5309 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
MrDisco wrote: I never gave those a look, but wow I would save ~$125 after taxes and rebates :O
Also seems highly rated

any opinion on the CC2 vs the Cinturato P7 Plus 2?
CC2 rated better overall but more equal when it comes to Dry and Wet. They both rate well... only caveat is if late to put on winters or freak early storm then CC2 better buy.

https://tirewheelguide.com/tires/compar ... ason-plus/

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/acc ... ch.555942/

ordered-2-sets-tires-should-i-keep-pire ... 0-2520066/
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12900 posts
2028 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote: any opinion on the CC2 vs the Cinturato P7 Plus 2?
I would go with whatever's cheaper. Both those are excellent choices, and you have dedicated winter tires, anyway.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2632 posts
1557 upvotes
Ontario
I agree, if you have winters go with whatever is cheaper. I like the CC2's (I have them on my DD,) but never tried the GY's or know anyone with them, so can't compare other then reviews. From my experience with both brands I'd pick the Michelin's, as I've had a few minor issues with GY's going hard or not lasting long/being that great in winter... I'd look for rebates for either and pick whats cheaper.

Michelin has spring rebates going (March 21- May 15, not incl Costco or CT): https://www.michelin.ca/en/auto/promotions-and-rebates

GY has rebates too (till June 30, only certain sellers in their TSN): https://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/ass ... mfortdrive
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18144 posts
10979 upvotes
Ottawa
I have the CC2 and they are champs for bad weather and winter use, but if you're not going to drive in the winter, then I would probably choose something else cheaper. Dry handling is probably their weakest trait.

If the same price, I would choose them over other all-weather tires.

Have you looked at General AW365? They seem to be a good budget pick
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
29656 posts
9211 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up with the CC2. Was going nuts looking at all the different reviews for tires available in my size and it seemed they all had something negative about them.

Decided the CC2s were highly rated everywhere I looked, they have that funky tread pattern, and they should offer decent grip in the wet (at the trade off of a few dollars at the pump). I only hope they last longer than my current set.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. It was appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9054 posts
5309 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
MrDisco wrote: I ended up with the CC2. Was going nuts looking at all the different reviews for tires available in my size and it seemed they all had something negative about them.

Decided the CC2s were highly rated everywhere I looked, they have that funky tread pattern, and they should offer decent grip in the wet (at the trade off of a few dollars at the pump). I only hope they last longer than my current set.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. It was appreciated.
Please report back after driving on them.

Should have wet and cold, wet and warm, dry and cold, dry and warm weather next little while.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2166 posts
559 upvotes
Alberta
Kinda falling into this same question.
I have XIce Snow for winters and looking for some All Seasons.

Was leaning towards some Continental ContiProContact ($168 x4) with $100 rebate, but the reviews for the CrossClimate 2 rate them higher on comfort/noise which is kinda surprising. Plus they're only $173 x4 with $150 rebate.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18144 posts
10979 upvotes
Ottawa
Chingyul wrote: Kinda falling into this same question.

Was leaning towards some Continental ContiProContact ($168 x4) with $100 rebate, but the reviews for the CrossClimate 2 rate them higher on comfort/noise which is kinda surprising. Plus they're only $173 x4 with $150 rebate.
The Cross Climate are pretty comfortable and probably about average in noise to me compared to other all-season tires I've owned. I woudn't say they are quiet tires. I think their disadvantage shows in dry weather, they aren't the grippiest on the dry during hard cornering, and lots of people with EVs seem to think that their rolling resistance is high so there is a minor hit in mileage too. That's not surprising since the compound is soft and there are a lot of tread grooves (which is what makes them so good in the winter snow and slush)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12900 posts
2028 upvotes
Toronto
Chingyul wrote: Kinda falling into this same question.

The Continental ContiProContact is a very lousy tire, built on technology at least a decade old, if not more. It works, but you can do better, easily. I would avoid.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1605 posts
411 upvotes
GTA
Currently own 19" summer wheels and 17" winter wheels, but much prefer the ride comfort of my 17" wheels with more tire sidewall.

Thinking of installing CrossClimate2s on my winter rims and running them year round. I know dedicated winter tires are > CC2 for snowy/icy conditions, but was wondering if others here have been running CC2s year round and doing ok for GTA winters.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8305 posts
7007 upvotes
Ottawa
No experience with these

Presume you have read this thread: [url=official-all-weather-tire-thread-2035604/22/]Official All-Weather Tire Thread/url]

FWIW, once upon a time, I was a strong advocate of Nokian WRG2 (an earlier equivalent of the CC2) but they honestly sucked in the summer. That's the downside of all-weather - you get adequate performance year round but you don't get great performance at any time. Whether or not that is important to you is another thing...
I always upvote respectful/helpful posts wherever I encounter them.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4767 posts
2037 upvotes
GTA
I purchased and installed the CC2's on my Dad's Lexus CUV and this was his first winter with them. Overall he said they felt much better than the all seasons we took off but felt they weren't quite as confidence inspiring as the Blizzaks he had previously. Given he drives very little though he just opted not to go out on the really bad snow days and said he was fine. I've only driven the vehicle on dry roads but the tires were very smooth and quiet (I expected them to be louder than the all-seasons but they weren't).
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4160 posts
4399 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My car came with 19" summers and after experiencing 17" wheels in the winter, I just bought a second set of wheels for summer usage. So high performance summer tires on 17"s in the summer, and good dedicated winter/snow tires for the cold also on 17"s. Really it the best of both worlds, especially if you enjoy driving.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19939 posts
23518 upvotes
GTA
nyxsonder wrote: Currently own 19" summer wheels and 17" winter wheels, but much prefer the ride comfort of my 17" wheels with more tire sidewall.

Thinking of installing CrossClimate2s on my winter rims and running them year round. I know dedicated winter tires are > CC2 for snowy/icy conditions, but was wondering if others here have been running CC2s year round and doing ok for GTA winters.
What car are you driving? How much do you drive each year?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2251 posts
1339 upvotes
Vancouver
If you enjoy your summer tires and how they perform your going to hate the CC2 in summer. Also the CC2 are going to be drop off in winter performance. So for the sake of convenience your losing performance everywhere.