Careers

Crown Corporations Ontario, unionized?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2017 10:03 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2017
16 posts

Crown Corporations Ontario, unionized?

Are employees working in Ontario crown corporations unionized? The one i have an interview with is reporting to one of the provincial ministries.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4993 posts
1683 upvotes
What difference does it make if the position is unionized or not? Regardless, it depends on the agency.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2017
16 posts
I'm greedy and want the benefits and job security. I also believe you have to be unionized to apply to other AMA/OPU/PEG positions withing the OPS?
Feb 20, 2017
330 posts
102 upvotes
Barrie, ON
WantToWorkForTheMan wrote: I'm greedy and want the benefits and job security. I also believe you have to be unionized to apply to other AMA/OPU/PEG positions withing the OPS?
This isn't true if you're not working for OPS you can't apply internally for OPS. If it just reports to it you may not be eligible, and no not all of them are unionized it should of stated whether it was or not on the job posting.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1880 upvotes
Believe so. My mother works for Canada Post and it's CUPW I think? I would assume they are but google would be useful.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12913 posts
7669 upvotes
Brampton
WantToWorkForTheMan wrote: Are employees working in Ontario crown corporations unionized? The one i have an interview with is reporting to one of the provincial ministries.
LCBO? IESO? eHealth?
Crown corps have both union and non-union it depends on the role. If you're a manager (Mgmt) for example you're non-union.
Dpack22 wrote: Believe so. My mother works for Canada Post and it's CUPW I think? I would assume they are but google would be useful.
That's a Federal Crown Corp. So it's a different union.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2017
16 posts
Infrastructure Ontario.
The date for the interview has not been set yet so I still have some time to investigate but I can't find any info regarding unionization anywhere. It's not a management position.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1021 posts
1334 upvotes
@home
Depends what Department / Field you are in in the Crown, some are, some aren't
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4993 posts
1683 upvotes
WantToWorkForTheMan wrote: I'm greedy and want the benefits and job security.
I'm assuming you're thinking health and dental? Even if the agency or position isn't unionized, the employer may still have their own health and dental benefits. If you're thinking about a pension, then understand that the pension plan is tied to the position and not the agency.

In regards to job security, well no job is 100% secure. Unionized positions can still be laid off/surplused. There are lines in bargaining agreements which identify the process for how this should happen between the employer and the employee.

TLDR: There's no one answer because it depends on the agency and position.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2017
16 posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Health, dental, pension, work/life balance, job security and last but not least that I've greatly enjoyed the Gov't work I've done so far. Providing a public service feels good and is interesting industry as well.

Care to elaborate on the pension plan being tied to the position? I've been told that a certain tenure in your highest paid position within the OPS is one of the variables calculating the final benefit. I assume it's connected to the collective agreements that exists between the OPS and the different bargaining agents?
Dec 7, 2011
21 posts
39 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
I work for a provincial crown agency and we are not unionized.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
4873 posts
1401 upvotes
GTA
I have work experience with an Ontario Government Agency/Crown corporation, we can’t apply to Ops internal postings but we have our internal job postings.

It’s unionized as well and a lot of things in terms of benefits, pension and so on are very similar to the Ops itself.