Computers & Electronics

CRTC has set final rates for third party wholesale internet access - Prices to drop?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 12:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3984 posts
1149 upvotes
GTA

CRTC has set final rates for third party wholesale internet access - Prices to drop?

We'll see soon
“The monthly capacity rates are 15 percent to 43 percent lower than the interim rates,” the CRTC said in the new decision. “As for the access rates, they are three percent to 77 percent lower than the interim rates.”
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-288.htm

So.. for instance, in the past, Rogers area TPIA internet providers were being charged access rates from $23-30 per line for a 75Mbps connection. Now, it looks like all speeds are set at one rate - $13.44
Capacity costs were also decreased.
However, I don't think this was related to FTTN connections

Should be interesting to see what comes up
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1769 posts
859 upvotes
GTA
Indeed. Looks like the access rates are finally reduced to one price for all speeds. This means that they will probably get access also to all cable speed tiers up to 1Gbps in supporting area's, depending how long INCUMBENTS will stall on approved DOCSIS 3.1 modems.

Also, looks like maybe bonded Bell FTTN (100mbps) maybe doable, since the access rate is probably somewhat reasonable, I think before it was just double of a single line in the $23/month range. Right now the only TPIA that offers 100/10 is Virgin besides going directly though Bell, for those that would want to stay on FTTN VDSL network instead.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9532 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
being how the big 3, i don't think they will make changes to their prices, more like take their time.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3271 posts
450 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: We'll see soon

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-288.htm

So.. for instance, in the past, Rogers area TPIA internet providers were being charged access rates from $23-30 per line for a 75Mbps connection. Now, it looks like all speeds are set at one rate - $13.44
Capacity costs were also decreased.
However, I don't think this was related to FTTN connections

Should be interesting to see what comes up
Fido just renewed my contract for almost same price. So I am staying with Fido for at least a year now.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.