Government should encourage people to spend now
52 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3964 posts
1459 upvotes
Mississauga
Lower the interest rate to what?

Canadians are up to their eyeballs in debt due to the housing market madness. We’re all tapped out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6453 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
Nobody wants our tar sands oil, Alberta is a giant make work project. Oil projects will get a bailout, then they will cut and run leaving the cleanup to the government and then the government will have another make work project to clean up the mess.

If I was the government, I would put a refinery in Alberta and designate that province as a special zone where you can store toxic waste and have environmentally unfriendly industries. If Albertains want to frack; they can, if they want to set fire to the forest; they can, if they want to dump raw sewage into lakes; they can.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Jun 6, 2009
501 posts
65 upvotes
Yes, bring on back those 0% BT credit cards!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5834 posts
2576 upvotes
toalan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 5:17 pm
Nobody wants our tar sands oil, Alberta is a giant make work project. Oil projects will get a bailout, then they will cut and run leaving the cleanup to the government and then the government will have another make work project to clean up the mess.

If I was the government, I would put a refinery in Alberta and designate that province as a special zone where you can store toxic waste and have environmentally unfriendly industries. If Albertains want to frack; they can, if they want to set fire to the forest; they can, if they want to dump raw sewage into lakes; they can.
Two things:

1. Thankfully, you will never be in a position to make any decisions that impact any significant number of people.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 21st, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rude
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6453 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 5:41 pm
Two things:

1. Thankfully, you will never be in a position to make any decisions that impact any significant number of people.
Are you ignorant to the fact that the tar sands projects occupy 25% of the province? Are you also ignorant to the fact that the tar sands oil is likely the dirtiest source of oil that is currently being extracted? Alberta has already said they do not give a f*ck about the environment, and they prefer jobs/money. All I am saying is to big it up, do it to 100% of the land, it will create more jobs/money. And when the bill for the cleanup needs to be paid, we just write the province off and bulldoze it all.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 21st, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote was edited
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2198 posts
816 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
toalan wrote:

How about fracking in BC? Lots being done there. Is that okay?
They burn lots of forests in BC and elsewhere, sometimes intentionally (that's called slash burning).
How about dumping sewage into the St. Lawrence or the Strait of Juan de Fuca?

Or is it just Albertains that concern you?
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16635 posts
2526 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 5:06 pm
Lower the interest rate to what?

Canadians are up to their eyeballs in debt due to the housing market madness. We’re all tapped out.
I think they want negative rates so people can pay them to spend other people's money.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6453 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
poleman wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 7:49 pm
How about fracking in BC? Lots being done there. Is that okay?
They burn lots of forests in BC and elsewhere, sometimes intentionally (that's called slash burning).
How about dumping sewage into the St. Lawrence or the Strait of Juan de Fuca?

Or is it just Albertains that concern you?
If BC did what Alberta did, I would say BC is stupid. But it is their province and if they want to ruin 25% of their land for an empty promise of jobs and money then so be it. The oil sand project as it stands now, the logical conclusion is that the oil companies will ask for a bailout, they will get some kind of bailout, then they will run. There will not be enough money to clean up that land and the land will be abandoned until we have sufficient technology to clean it up easily.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2198 posts
816 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
toalan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 8:26 pm
If BC did what Alberta did, I would say BC is stupid. But it is their province and if they want to ruin 25% of their land for an empty promise of jobs and money then so be it. The oil sand project as it stands now, the logical conclusion is that the oil companies will ask for a bailout, they will get some kind of bailout, then they will run. There will not be enough money to clean up that land and the land will be abandoned until we have sufficient technology to clean it up easily.
You don't get it, do you.
That don't want a bailout. All they want is a pipeline or two. That's all. Really, really simple.

And where do you come up with them ruining 25% of their land?
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7148 posts
1947 upvotes
Canadian Alberta oil sands product is low grade oil and has less practical uses and applications than the oil that is refined elsewhere in the world.
That is one of the main reasons why Canadian oil sells at a price well below other countries. He does have a point.

Most refineries cannot process bitumen, the thick tar-like hydrocarbon that comes out of the Athabasca Oil Sands. Almost anybody can process Saudi Arabian crude, but only an elite fraternity of the world’s most complex refineries can turn Alberta bitumen into gasoline.

If Canadian produced oil was actually of good grade, then Canada would be self-sufficient in oil supply and
there would be no need to import billions of dollars worth of higher quality oil from other nations.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7231 posts
1739 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:10 pm
Canadian Alberta oil sands product is low grade oil and has less practical uses and applications than the oil that is refined elsewhere in the world.
That is one of the main reasons why Canadian oil sells at a price well below other countries. He does have a point.

If Canadian produced oil was actually of good grade, then Canada would be self-sufficient in oil supply and
there would be no need to import billions of dollars worth of higher quality oil from other nations.
Do you have a source for this? (legit question and not questioning your post)
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30124 posts
2434 upvotes
Winnipeg
toalan wrote:

China wants that oil, at least they used to before we kidnapped their CFO. The oil sands contributes billions to equalization payment, don't you forget that. And lastly, either BC or Quebec are known to dump saw sewage into the ocean, not Alberta. Only thing I agree is that Alberta should build more refineries, or more in location where there are pipelines, such as Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northern Ontario.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30124 posts
2434 upvotes
Winnipeg
toalan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 6:10 pm
Are you ignorant to the fact that the tar sands projects occupy 25% of the province? Are you also ignorant to the fact that the tar sands oil is likely the dirtiest source of oil that is currently being extracted? Alberta has already said they do not give a f*ck about the environment, and they prefer jobs/money. All I am saying is to big it up, do it to 100% of the land, it will create more jobs/money. And when the bill for the cleanup needs to be paid, we just write the province off and bulldoze it all.
Alberta would love to separate from rest of the country to save you from all that hassle.