[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10402 upvotes
Ottawa

Cruise Ships Banned in Venice

Plus charging and entry fee to Venice.

Glad I was able to experience the cruise ship entry to Venice a couple times. Some of the most magnificent scenery ever....now gone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... attle.html
"Now, after a decades-long battle, residents in Venice have succeeded in getting cruise ships banned from docking there.

The Italian government yesterday announced it would begin re-routing the liners away from the historic city centre, which draws some 30 million tourists a year."

"By next year the plan is for a third to berth at ports well away from the city, such as the Fusina and Lombardia terminals three miles away across the lagoon on the Italian mainland."

"Authorities said tourists - even day-trippers who only visit for a matter of hours - will be charged an entry fee of between two and five euros (£1.70 and £4.40) but it could go up to 10 euros (£9) in the high season.

And by 2022, the city council said it hoped that most people visiting Venice will reserve an entry ticket to the city before visiting - then it can monitor tourism numbers. "
33 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Good!!
...but this should of happened 20 years ago.

I heard on local news when I was there 2 weeks ago that they want to utilize/expand ports as far south as Ravenna for the largest of ships.

When the locals don’t want to / can’t live there anymore I think this is a step in the right direction (and the entrance fee should be higher for cruise ship passengers ). The cruise ship folks were less likely to spend significant $$ in Venice anyways (often retreating back to their ships to eat/drink) VS those staying at a land based accommodation.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
With the entry fee, Venice has now officially become a museum or an amusement park.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6931 posts
6458 upvotes
Toronto
heymikey wrote: With the entry fee, Venice has now officially become a museum or an amusement park.
Better to be a museum or an amusement park, than the zoo it currently is
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10402 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote: Good!!
...but this should of happened 20 years ago.

I heard on local news when I was there 2 weeks ago that they want to utilize/expand ports as far south as Ravenna for the largest of ships.

When the locals don’t want to / can’t live there anymore I think this is a step in the right direction (and the entrance fee should be higher for cruise ship passengers ). The cruise ship folks were less likely to spend significant $$ in Venice anyways (often retreating back to their ships to eat/drink) VS those staying at a land based accommodation.
It has been spoken about for decades. When you turn a city into an tourist economy, you need to be careful how you treat the people feeding your economy and livelihood. The shops selling to those cruise ship passengers will argue that they do not spend money when on day trips and the ships doing overnights have many passengers eating and drinking onshore.
Having been to Venice a number of times, on cruise stops as well as on day trips and land vacations, I can be pretty sure to say that the cruise ship passengers are more numerous than land based tourists and that they spend an awful lot o money in their short stays.

Locals have not been able to live in Venice for 50 years or more. Most homes have been turn into hotels and B&B's and even trattorias for decades. "Since about 20 million tourists pour in each year - 55,000 a day - it's a safe bet that most days there are now more tourists than locals in Venice."
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
roblombardi wrote: Better to be a museum or an amusement park, than the zoo it currently is
^ molti animali!

I can’t think of any other place on earth (tourist attraction) with that many people confined in such a small space. Times Square?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
Just like anywhere else, it's only crowded in the popular tourist spots, such as Piazza San Marco or the Rialto Bridge. If you step back and venture into the side streets, especially in Dorsoduro or Cannaregio, then there is a greater chance you'll be the only tourist there amongst the locals.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10312 posts
2916 upvotes
we went last Oct, we didn't it find it crowded, we walked all over venice, never had lineups or waits for boats, or meals, or anything. sure its the end of the summer, it was early October, It was in the 20s.
Mar 30, 2009
920 posts
402 upvotes
Venice is one of the most over-hyped destinations in the world so I don’t think the new measures will be that effective. Sure, some people won’t pay a few extra dollars to visit, but I can’t imagine most people who have never been before and are on a cruise that stops there wouldn’t pay for a cab or bus ride and an entrance to see it just once.

I am not a big fan of Venice and I am also not much of a cruiser, but I can see why Venice is a popular cruise destination. It’s a place where you can truly see the highlights in a day and that’s pretty much all what people want when they say they want to visit Venice.
Jan 13, 2016
559 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Glad i went there 20 years ago before it became a zoo.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2905 posts
453 upvotes
Cruise ships should be banned period.
Anyone knows what is the carbon footprint of only one ship?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5326 posts
4368 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: Better to be a museum or an amusement park, than the zoo it currently is
It'll be an amusement park with a zoo?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17052 posts
14436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
HammerJoe wrote: Cruise ships should be banned period.
Oh sure...
And while we are at it
Let’s ban trains, planes & automobiles
And just go back to horse drawn carriages

But ya know what someone will b!tch about that carbon footprint
Methane output too

Like this recent post
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/so-cops- ... p-2292193/

In reality part of the reason the invention of the car was so popular
Was in big cities like NY City
They were having a tough time keeping up to the daily production / disposal of horse manure, urine, carcasses and the ongoing health crisis that came with them ... flies, rodents, diseases, etc
(each horse producing ~20 Lbs of Manure, and ~2 Pints of Urine a day)

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... s-of-1894/

But hey, ya know what
Let’s just back ourselves up to the Stone Age
When the planet was pristine
But life expectancy was under 30 years
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11856 posts
4180 upvotes
Toronto
Some people love it, some people hate this new ban.

Local Tourist business rely strongly by cruise ships.
One cruise ship at the port drop off 1000-2000 people to eat, shop, paying drivers or tour guides to visit, etc....

Will see how it goes later in few years after in Venice after no cruise ship at their ports.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10402 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote: Some people love it, some people hate this new ban.

Local Tourist business rely strongly by cruise ships.
One cruise ship at the port drop off 1000-2000 people to eat, shop, paying drivers or tour guides to visit, etc....

Will see how it goes later in few years after in Venice after no cruise ship at their ports.
I think you misunderstand.
What is being banned is cruise ships from entering the canals and docking in Venice Maritimma proper. The cruise ships will still come to Venice but will bypass the canal and dock on the mainland and passengers will transit from the dock by tender or by bus to Piazzale Roma.
It will encourage other opportunities for excursions to places like Ravenna or Verona or Padua or other places on the mainland as well as just to Venice proper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9526 posts
2111 upvotes
Somewhere
HammerJoe wrote: Cruise ships should be banned period.
What is the carbon footprint of 4,000 passengers travelling individually on roads instead?
:confused:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2905 posts
453 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: What is the carbon footprint of 4,000 passengers travelling individually on roads instead?
Comparing apples to oranges?
Rather have the 4000 cars on the road than one cruise ship at sea.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17052 posts
14436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
HammerJoe wrote: Comparing apples to oranges?
See, right there this argument makes NO SENSE
A cruise ship that carries 4000 Pax sails 52 weeks a year
So you gotta DIVIDE their carbon footprint by ~200,000 to get the actual effect
Whereas 4000 cars more often than not are only going to have a few pax in it
(Statistically they say most pax cars are more often than not carrying just 1 person)
So that’s 4000 TIMES 1 for 52 weeks a year
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9526 posts
2111 upvotes
Somewhere
HammerJoe wrote: Comparing apples to oranges?
Absolutely not comparing apples to oranges.

What we're comparing is travel by cruise ship compared to the next best alternative for these travelers, which is to travel to all the ports by car or other forms of transport. Not to mention traveling to the restaurants for food, to the hotels for accommodation.

Can cruise ships do more to be more environmentally conscious? Absolutely. I hate how they burn dirty fuel while in international waters and dumping waste into the oceans, for example. But if done correctly, cruising is pound for pound more efficient than individuals traveling on their own.
:confused:
Nov 26, 2012
335 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
In the overall scheme of things, this won't change much for Venice. Few people on a cruise around Italy is going to skip Venice because they docked 5 km away. Also, how many tourist spending thousands of dollars to go to Italy won't pay a nominal tourism fee to enter one of its most famous cities? But I suppose even a few % drop in tourism numbers would bring some relief. I realize that some vendors will be negatively affected but I think it should be an overall positive direction for the city.