Home & Garden

Crushed Stone - what size to use to minimize weed

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 1:20 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 26, 2016
200 posts
30 upvotes

Crushed Stone - what size to use to minimize weed

Would 3/4in crushed stone have better chance of preventing weed from coming through, or should it be smaller?
13 replies
Member
Dec 7, 2009
490 posts
312 upvotes
B-Town
ArsenalFanatic wrote: Would 3/4in crushed stone have better chance of preventing weed from coming through, or should it be smaller?
No, you need to lay down landscaping fabric first. That's what will prevent the weeds from coming through. You can get it at Costco for like $30.00.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11471 posts
6653 upvotes
Paris
Landscaping fabric then 3/4 crushed is what’s under my deck.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
2462 posts
1428 upvotes
Edmonton
You shouldn’t cheap out on the landscape fabric. The best is expensive, heavy, multi-layered and worth it. Weeds can’t push through and if one roots it the rocks, it pulls right out.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9330 posts
3699 upvotes
Maple
2 layers of fabric, 2 layers crushed stones.

1. 1st layer of fabric
2. 1st layer of crushed stones
3. Tamper
4. 2nd layer of fabric
5. 2nd layer of crushed stones

It is over doing it but it will help.
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
[OP]
Member
Apr 26, 2016
200 posts
30 upvotes
ManInTheBurbs wrote: No, you need to lay down landscaping fabric first. That's what will prevent the weeds from coming through. You can get it at Costco for like $30.00.
Thanks. I am aware of having to use the fabric but from what I gathered it wouldn't suffice by itself.
[OP]
Member
Apr 26, 2016
200 posts
30 upvotes
walleye*guy wrote: You shouldn’t cheap out on the landscape fabric. The best is expensive, heavy, multi-layered and worth it. Weeds can’t push through and if one roots it the rocks, it pulls right out.
Any recommendations where to find that? Costco?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
2462 posts
1428 upvotes
Edmonton
Not Costco. Not even a big box store.
Landscaping places - in Edmonton Canar Rock Products, Burnco....

Don't know where you are, just google landscaping supplies and phone around.....
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 30, 2015
34 posts
10 upvotes
Ashburn, ON
You did not say where you want to put this stone. Is it a walkway, under a deck or some sort of lawn or garden edging? There are different answers depending on the project.
I have 4" of 3/4 crushed limestone around my shed. No fabric. Not a weed in years.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
10055 posts
1934 upvotes
Toronto
Tell you the truth, after 2-3 years, weeds will come regardless.

Soil blows on top of your rocks then seed comes in and it grows on top of your rocks on top of the weed barrier.

At least with rocks it's easier to pull out weeds.

I used 4 layers of Costco barrier , rocks, and weeds started popping out after 2 yrs. I go and pluck them out one by one.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
You don't need landscape fabric if the crushed rock is deep enough, i.e. at least 5-6". It's much easier to pull weeds that are loosely anchored in rock than stuff that has germinated under the weed fabric. If I absolutely needed to put something down, it would be a few layers of cardboard and then the rock.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1793 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: You don't need landscape fabric if the crushed rock is deep enough, i.e. at least 5-6". It's much easier to pull weeds that are loosely anchored in rock than stuff that has germinated under the weed fabric. If I absolutely needed to put something down, it would be a few layers of cardboard and then the rock.
Wouldn't cardboard decompose rather quickly?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
10055 posts
1934 upvotes
Toronto
VertigoM wrote: Wouldn't cardboard decompose rather quickly?
I also read cardboard promotes bugs to stay around too
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
VertigoM wrote: Wouldn't cardboard decompose rather quickly?
Depends on the conditions (how damp, etc)...I don't mind it breaking down over time, like I said, you don't really need any barrier if the rock layer is thick enough.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)