Crypto.com Prepaid Card and Crypto Exchange Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2021 6:39 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2011
666 posts
634 upvotes
stillmatic11 wrote: I used Crypto.com Tax and it treated all Staking, Interest Earned and etc as Non Taxable, so I don't think it's taxable upon receipt but I can't say 100% for sure as there is no definitive answer I've seen yet for this. It would then be calculated at $0 Cost Basis if converting back to CAD or another Crypto.
How could this be non-taxable? Are they claiming this is return of capital?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
islander59 wrote: How could this be non-taxable? Are they claiming this is return of capital?
Tax on crypto is still poorly defined.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1481 posts
512 upvotes
islander59 wrote: How could this be non-taxable? Are they claiming this is return of capital?
It is counted as a non-taxable reward.

You still eventually pay taxes as whatever crypto you get from these get added to your ACB but at least you wouldn't be taxed before even spending or selling it doing it this way.
Sep 7, 2007
33 posts
87 upvotes
Terrace
Thanks for the post!

I have been using my Jade Green VISA for about a month now and it has been flawless. With the CC stake I'm eligible for 10% back on the Tim's and Starbucks gift cards in the "Pay" area of the app, so I'm taking full advantage of that. Also, the 12% cash back on TCAD for a 3 month earn term is awesome.

I think I will be getting rid of my Brim World Elite now that I have this card.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1136 posts
575 upvotes
I don't want this exploit to be fixed for netflix so i won't exactly mention how to do it but if you use a vpn a bit south of us and then signup for a netflix account... the rebate is enough to get the max uhd plan without spending any money....

(most of the cheap countries netflix only accept payments from credit cards issued in there country, however since this country is only slightly cheaper they appear to accept it without issue)
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
bryceton wrote: I don't want this exploit to be fixed for netflix so i won't exactly mention how to do it but if you use a vpn a bit south of us and then signup for a netflix account... the rebate is enough to get the max uhd plan without spending any money....

(most of the cheap countries netflix only accept payments from credit cards issued in there country, however since this country is only slightly cheaper they appear to accept it without issue)
Lolz, $16.10 CAD/month for UHD Premium at current rate and no hassle punching in CDC card without any workarounds or loopholes? Not bad.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1111 posts
2162 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Quick question -- for termed Earn deposits, what happens after the term ends? I have a bunch in 3-month terms, but the first one doesn't finish until June, and I haven't done any 1-month terms (just have 3-month and flex). Does it automatically get moved to the Crypto wallet? Or perhaps to Flex Earn?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2060 posts
3247 upvotes
BC
CalgaryBen wrote: Quick question -- for termed Earn deposits, what happens after the term ends? I have a bunch in 3-month terms, but the first one doesn't finish until June, and I haven't done any 1-month terms (just have 3-month and flex). Does it automatically get moved to the Crypto wallet? Or perhaps to Flex Earn?
It goes to your wallet, you have to manually deposit it into a new term again in you want to keep earning.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
mrelusive wrote: CDC is going to add Ethereum VM support to their blockchain that nobody uses in a few months. Will be interesting to see how much it gets adopted and how that affects CRO: https://cointelegraph.com/news/crypto-c ... lated-fund
Nice find and thank you for sharing!
Jul 20, 2017
962 posts
1124 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Lolz, $16.10 CAD/month for UHD Premium at current rate and no hassle punching in CDC card without any workarounds or loopholes? Not bad.
At the current exchange, it's barely over a dollar a month extra for the canadian UHD charge.. Gotta be quite a penny pincher to afford to invest $5k and worry about that little money lol.

And you do get your 3% on the extra dollar you spend, so yea..

I get it's easy, and i'm quite tech savvy so no problem for me to do it, just to break the netflix terms of service for a buck a month isn't worth to me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Eleventeen wrote: At the current exchange, it's barely over a dollar a month extra for the canadian UHD charge.. Gotta be quite a penny pincher to afford to invest $5k and worry about that little money lol.

And you do get your 3% on the extra dollar you spend, so yea..

I get it's easy, and i'm quite tech savvy so no problem for me to do it, just to break the netflix terms of service for a buck a month isn't worth to me.
Am happy with my 55 TRL 100% rebated Netflix UHD Premium. I think pricing in CAD is subject to sales tax. I think ppl wanna "do it once" and squeeze the rebate cycle for the long haul 🤣
Jul 20, 2017
962 posts
1124 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Am happy with my 55 TRL 100% rebated Netflix UHD Premium. I think pricing in CAD is subject to sales tax. I think ppl wanna "do it once" and squeeze the rebate cycle for the long haul 🤣
like i said, it's not taxed. If it was , ya would be a few dollars. $1 to $1.50 is all i pay after the rebate. it pops up and tells me each month, rebate + X.XX pennies in cashback on the remainder.

That said, yes tax laws are screwy and the gov is trying to screw us. It's not taxed atm because netflix is cool and taxing purely digital products by american companies is very much not required at the moment. They are trying to change the laws because they are morons and think it would be more competitive.. (When in reality more canadians will just opt to pay for the US or other countries versions of the same product, where it's not taxed, especially for products that are smart about regionalization so you don't suffer any difference, like our netflix, which is actually superior to the US version lately. (and ofc you can watch any region with a decent vpn)

Luckily my US cards are registered to FL , which seems fairly steady on not taxing digital products, so I could switch there.. Or yea turkey , if this new bs tax bill goes through. Gonna be extra annoying to buy steam games, but at least cdkeys.com is a new thing now that seems to stock an insane amount of steam keys and easily allows you to pay in any currency.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5955 posts
5019 upvotes
Vancouver
Messy right now.. can't log in.. error error error..

Seems like it's something to do with the SHIB coin.. people going crazy to buy or sell...? Twitter is full of people freaking out.

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8546 posts
2456 upvotes
multi city dweller
newfbc wrote: Messy right now.. can't log in.. error error error..

Seems like it's something to do with the SHIB coin.. people going crazy to buy or sell...? Twitter is full of people freaking out.

Ron.
still down ...
https://status.crypto.com/
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
LOL808 wrote: still down ...
https://status.crypto.com/
It's sort of back up @newfbc but it's slugging. Managed to withdraw CRO from Supercharger, sell into TCAD and top-up card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8546 posts
2456 upvotes
multi city dweller
titaniumtux wrote: It's sort of back up @newfbc but it's slugging. Managed to withdraw CRO from Supercharger, sell into TCAD and top-up card.
i am unable to login ... after logging out ... Neutral Face
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1921 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
k.moz wrote: Thanks for the post!

I have been using my Jade Green VISA for about a month now and it has been flawless. With the CC stake I'm eligible for 10% back on the Tim's and Starbucks gift cards in the "Pay" area of the app, so I'm taking full advantage of that. Also, the 12% cash back on TCAD for a 3 month earn term is awesome.

You should have a few backup cards for foreign travel- get a Stack card if you don't already have one, and downgrade Brim to the free version.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1874 posts
67 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Out of curiosity, is there a "hold period" of how many CROs I can stake - if I selected the midnight blue crypto card?

What happens if I decided that if down the road - I wanted to upgrade to to the Ruby Red Crypto card (or something like that) - providing if I stake a certain number of CROs?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14602 posts
12636 upvotes
Going to the Moon
k.moz wrote: Thanks for the post!

Bull Dog wrote: You should have a few backup cards for foreign travel- get a Stack card if you don't already have one, and downgrade Brim to the free version.
Depending on one's needs...
  1. Stack's a prepaid, so no opportunity cost (doesn't affect credit history), benefit of expanding one's ATM limits (especially useful for forex ATM's) and fund fast via e-transfer
  2. Brim WE would be a worthy downgrade. Cancel? Only if you have something better. I use my Cap1 Quicksilver Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Um card for no-FTF/3Ds transactions as I have a use case for it, but for day to day in-store or online spend (including PayPal), CDC's a no-brainer. But ya, without US cards, Brim no-AF MC is quite alright
  3. To cover other things...I guess an AmEx (can be SimplyCash) for dodgy merchants where there's a significant exposure to the risk of chargebacks (and for larger purchases where it'd be worth the hassle to make a claim), a premium card for car rental CWD (CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE for domestic, then a US card preferably for forex car rentals unless it's a travel card where the car rental is booked in CAD)

@FutureHeartsJunkie to answer your question. You don't need to stake anything for Midnight Blue, and you can upgrade to Ruby Red (or higher) any time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Bomberman07