Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Black & Decker Energy Monitor

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2014 12:20 am
[OP]
Member
Apr 27, 2007
341 posts
337 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Black & Decker Energy Monitor

Canadian tire at major mack and Woodbine has this black and decker energy monitor on clearance at their lighting isle.

To be honest I am not sure if it is useful and it looks to be like a discontinued model or something. It is the same as this one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-EM10 ... y-monitors

There is a similar looking but rebanded one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Line-Innovat ... gy+monitor

There were only 3 left. So for whoever is looking for something like this maybe it is worth checking out.

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qs9a5lhriv0x ... 4XCzL_ApKa[/IMG]
21 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
It looks like a carbon copy of the blue line model which i have, it works fine, its only accurate to within 100W so it can't be used for small items, only big ones and its not exact (.1kw could mean 100 watt up to 199 watt) but since its reading the meter i assume the black and decker will be the same.

The Kill a watt is still the best for anything not hard wired but will not work on hardwired appliances like a furnace, dryer, stove, etc, but htis tells you cumulative for hte whole house not just oen appliance.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 12, 2005
5020 posts
291 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Do public libraries still loan these things out?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
5311 posts
2036 upvotes
Was always interested in this but not sure how useful and accurate it would be.
Dunno if it would be worth it.

Edit:
Also, does this work with the new smart meters? I dont think I have a turney thing on mine anymore..
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Tha DraGun wrote: Was always interested in this but not sure how useful and accurate it would be.
Dunno if it would be worth it.

Edit:
Also, does this work with the new smart meters? I dont think I have a turney thing on mine anymore..
The blue line one does work with smart meters, and some cities give them out for free when you sign up for peaksaver (some cities have wifi and internet enabled thermostats, some have the energy meter)

I don't know anything about the black and decker model, but its reasonable to assume it works the same way.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2720 posts
1462 upvotes
Ottawa
Picked one up years back for about the same price on clearance at RCSS.

Works well, from what I've seen of the peaksaver unit, looks identical.

Reads the IR signal from a sender on the meter face. Just a matter of lining up the B&D sender unit with the IR port on the meter. Had issues with battery fit on the sending unit but not insurmountable ones.

Good deal for the unit, free and clear of Peaksaver and the clutches of Hydro.

Interesting that once you watch the energy use spikes for a while, you pretty much know exactly which appliance or what is turned on.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2007
4968 posts
3127 upvotes
Grabbed the $28 Belkin Conserve from Hookbag after receiving a $20 off promo.
Honestly, these sort of devices are cool for maybe a few hours when you test your big ticket items in the house, but after that you sort of toss it aside. If possible, borrow one from a friend or as some have mentioned, grab it from the library if available (this might just be Ontario).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
I have one. It's a whole-house power consumption meter, not like the ones you get from the library that read the power consumption at an individual outlet.

It worked fine with the old analog meters with the rotating wheel, although the reading wasn't very accurate at low consumption because it has to wait for the wheel to spin all the way around to update the reading, which might take a minute or more.

It can also work with smart meters by using its IR sensor to count pulses from the IR port on the meter, but it doesn't work properly with all smart meters. For example with the Telus smart meters in BC, it reads the current consumption accurately most of the time, but every few minutes the meter puts out a blast of rapid IR pulses that cause the reading to spike way up and throws off the total power consumption reading. In any case, most smart meters offer daily consumption readings online now, so maybe you don't need a meter like this any more.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
rayray13 wrote: Interesting that once you watch the energy use spikes for a while, you pretty much know exactly which appliance or what is turned on.
I discovered some odd information, my gas oven uses 400W which is outrageous, my furnace fan is about the same, i have not tested the furnace itself though, but the dryer uses almost 6kw when its running :eek:
And i've noticed my fridge uses about 2kw a day, which is more then i use
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6953 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: I discovered some odd information, my gas oven uses 400W which is outrageous, my furnace fan is about the same, i have not tested the furnace itself though, but the dryer uses almost 6kw when its running :eek:
And i've noticed my fridge uses about 2kw a day, which is more then i use

Convection gas oven? 2Kw/day for a fridge makes sense, it does need to keep things cold.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
cwb27 wrote: Convection gas oven? 2Kw/day for a fridge makes sense, it does need to keep things cold.
I don't know what convection gas oven is but it uses natural gas and apparently electricity as well to heat the oven. Its a regualr stove oven, you can get electric or gas stoves.
The fridge is surprising that it needs so much energy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6953 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: I don't know what convection gas oven is but it uses natural gas and apparently electricity as well to heat the oven. Its a regualr stove oven, you can get electric or gas stoves.
The fridge is surprising that it needs so much energy.
Convection gas ovens have a fan that blows the heat around (same as electric convection ovens).

What are you comparing the fridge energy use to that makes you think that 2kw/day is a lot of energy? 2kw/day roughly works out to 0.083kw/hour (or 83 watts an hour).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
cwb27 wrote: Convection gas ovens have a fan that blows the heat around (same as electric convection ovens).

What are you comparing the fridge energy use to that makes you think that 2kw/day is a lot of energy? 2kw/day roughly works out to 0.083kw/hour (or 83 watts an hour).
I don't think its a convection oven based on your description, and i can buy fridges that use about 375 kwh/year so about half the energy which i do plan to do in future.
Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2011
330 posts
107 upvotes
I live in an apartment, how should i configure this ??
any experiences ?
I am not talking abt an individual plug or an appliance, i am looking at the whole unit.

Because my Current bill is [IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/1znaadk.jpg[/IMG]

Is this normal?
Mine is 1 bedroom 750sft condo.
I use AC, have few computers, refrigerator and pretty much thats it ( no Laundry). I think i am being ripped off.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
5311 posts
2036 upvotes
Ur bill is only $88. The rest is overdue. I wish my bill was that low. Not sure if that is expensive for the size of place u have tho
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
hurlyhunk wrote: I live in an apartment, how should i configure this ??
any experiences ?
I am not talking abt an individual plug or an appliance, i am looking at the whole unit.

Because my Current bill is [IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/1znaadk.jpg[/IMG]

Is this normal?
Mine is 1 bedroom 750sft condo.
I use AC, have few computers, refrigerator and pretty much thats it ( no Laundry). I think i am being ripped off.
Its highly unlikely your being ripped off, but you can figure out where you using energy, lightbulbs (especially incandescent), fridge, computers, space heaters, air conditioning, TVs, etc.
You could buy a kill a watt and figure out how much each appliance uses, the meters discussed in this thread can calculate total at a given time and total over a month, you could cut yoru bill in half but that would involve some work and lifestyle changes (after a while you forget your doing it because it becomes automatic, and the money saved is yours to enjoy, i recommend paying off loans and credit cards)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3390 posts
725 upvotes
Winnipeg
I bought this for $1 on a yard sale... tried it and it really wasn't helpful... probably if you want to monitor a particular appliance you want to compare with previous readings... but all in all, it's something you still have to manually track as it doesn't give you logs or anything but the final consumption....
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26991 posts
11438 upvotes
Socially Distanced
khulit wrote: I bought this for $1 on a yard sale... tried it and it really wasn't helpful... probably if you want to monitor a particular appliance you want to compare with previous readings... but all in all, it's something you still have to manually track as it doesn't give you logs or anything but the final consumption....
Thats what it does, tell you how much energy your using, and it can tell you what a particular device uses, especially those you can't plug into an outlet (stove, dryer, furnace, central air etc.), or combinations of devices (TVs, speakers, DVRs etc.)

I'd buy it from you for a dollar, heck even double what you paid.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1960 posts
373 upvotes
Aurora
This is identical to the Blue Line one that is given free from Peaksaver (and loaned from libraries). I have both and they're excellent for their purpose. It's good to check everything is turned off when leaving the house.
And gives pretty accurate outside temp if the sender is not in direct sunlight.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)