Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton

Cuba CUC is no More, Long Live CUP

If you have some CUC is your sock drawer, I hope you like paper souvenirs because it is no longer legal currency. You can change it for CUP at a bank until June. The exchange rate hasn’t changed: 1 CUC for 24 CUP.

I realize some people are obsessed with bringing US dollars, but like before, you really should be bringing Canadian, although maybe the 10% penalty is gone. 1 US dollar is 24 CUP. I think you need a credit card for dollar stores.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2351 posts
784 upvotes
Whitehorse
If you took Cuban Pesos out of Cuba, you broke Cuban law. It is illegal to remove their currency from their country. It is also illegal to bring Cuban currency back into Cuba.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3963 posts
1842 upvotes
Mississauga
sokolov wrote: If you took Cuban Pesos out of Cuba, you broke Cuban law. It is illegal to remove their currency from their country. It is also illegal to bring Cuban currency back into Cuba.
CUC is not and never was Cuban currency. Its the currency for us, tourists.
Aug 21, 2010
892 posts
344 upvotes
toronto
so how are we tipping now...i always gave american dollars at the bar...so now give a toonie..loonie...so cary change
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6094 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
your best bet wrote: so how are we tipping now...i always gave american dollars at the bar...so now give a toonie..loonie...so cary change
Don't. Coins can't be exchanged easily.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3144 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
your best bet wrote: so how are we tipping now...i always gave american dollars at the bar...so now give a toonie..loonie...so cary change
I always tipping with the Cuban currency I got from the airport or the resort.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6555 posts
2244 upvotes
Vancouver
I still have probably $10-15 worth of $1CUCs. Hopefully those will be valid. I was using them for tips and my last trip was so bad, I didn't tip half of the time as service was beyond horrible. Exchange at the hotel was closed, Airport had a long line up so I took them home in hopes to use again.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Aug 21, 2010
892 posts
344 upvotes
toronto
which hotel in cuba
dazz wrote: I still have probably $10-15 worth of $1CUCs. Hopefully those will be valid. I was using them for tips and my last trip was so bad, I didn't tip half of the time as service was beyond horrible. Exchange at the hotel was closed, Airport had a long line up so I took them home in hopes to use again.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2646 upvotes
your best bet wrote: which hotel in cuba
Face With Tears Of Joy..does it matter? Was in Cuba only once and never again. Stayed at Grand Memories, Varadero in 2015.
Aug 21, 2010
892 posts
344 upvotes
toronto
thanks
i go down south 5-6 times a year..no have not stayed at that resort
eldiablo wrote: Face With Tears Of Joy..does it matter? Was in Cuba only once and never again. Stayed at Grand Memories, Varadero in 2015.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2646 upvotes
your best bet wrote: thanks
i go down south 5-6 times a year..no have not stayed at that resort
With all the sanctions and the embargo ( I feel very sorry for the people), it is hard to justify shitty food, smelly rooms even at a fraction of the cost compared to other Caribbean resort locations.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton
dazz wrote: I still have probably $10-15 worth of $1CUCs. Hopefully those will be valid. I was using them for tips and my last trip was so bad, I didn't tip half of the time as service was beyond horrible. Exchange at the hotel was closed, Airport had a long line up so I took them home in hopes to use again.
Well, you tipped Cuba $15. The CUC is only valid until June and thanks to Covid19 it is unlikely you will be making the trip this winter.

According to Twitter, the US dollar is currently trading at a 50% premium on the black market, as locals can only buy US dollars at the airport when leaving the country. US dollars aren’t particularly useful, as payments in dollar stores are supposed to be electronic, although presumably that will change if Americans start visiting again.

As with any currency artificially pegged to the US dollar, the risk is it will be officially devalued, making the peso a lousy currency for savings. Although that is also a risk with currencies that float like the Canadian dollar and the Mexican Peso, although at least those countries don’t import 60% of their food.

I was hoping they would keep the CUC and peg it to the Canadian dollar. But shame on me for thinking a communist country would put the needs of the customer first. :)

Maybe everything will feel cheaper now that we aren’t converting to US dollars first. If oil prices/the Canadian dollar goes up a bit, the conversion will be 1CAD =20 Cuban pesos (currently 1 CAD for 18.80CUP ).
Jun 19, 2017
73 posts
24 upvotes
Change it at a Cuban bank? Or do Canadian banks have the currency in their branch?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1337 upvotes
Moncton
gymrat999 wrote: Change it at a Cuban bank? Or do Canadian banks have the currency in their branch?
You have until June to change your CUC at a Cuban bank. Canadian banks don’t accept Cuban currency. According to Cuban law, you aren’t suppose to bring it in or out of the country. Although it isn’t a violation of Canadian law.