cUL vs UL listing for Amazon rpodcuts

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 12:24 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes

cUL vs UL listing for Amazon rpodcuts

Are UL listed items authorized for sale in Canada? Apparently Canada has its own cUL certification. The following item from Amazon.ca carries only a UL sticker.

AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector | 4,320 Joule, 8-Foot Cord https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GPF72BZ/

Is there a risk of insurance denials in Canada should this product cause any fires or electrical malfunctions?? How the hell is amazon allowed to sell such products in the first place?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Yes, cUL is certified for use in Canada. UL certified for use in the US.

UL = Underwriters Laboratories

I don’t buy no name surge protectors, only APC for me. All APC surge protectors have a Lifetime warranty and $ amount Equipment Protection Policy.
Last edited by jackrabbit000 on Dec 19th, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
What APC product would you recommend? Are there any USB Type C capable one? I only see regular USB ones on Costco and those have fewer ports.
Apr 25, 2018
125 posts
166 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Apparently UL or cUL is not a legal requirement, just a recommendation.
Dec 7, 2012
870 posts
590 upvotes
Ontario
Lots of no name junk on Amazon have fake ul/etl/fcc, etc certifications. They just print the logos along with the usual meaningless CE/Rohs and whatnot because it makes the product look more legit.

AZ doesn't care as long as they take a cut of the sale of course. If possible look up the UL file number or fcc ID to make sure it matches the product.
Your advertisement here
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19660 posts
7202 upvotes
Socially Distanced
There was a CNN(?) article about amazon basics products catching in fire randomly.
It could mean the electrical isolations are insufficient, a slight surge could have caused those fires.
Which means fake certifications.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2626 posts
1364 upvotes
London
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just bought this one last week. I don’t think there are any APC’s with USB-C but I haven’t really looked.

https://www.amazon.ca/SCHNEIDER-ELECTRI ... 84&sr=8-14

This is the one I’m using on my new 65” LG OLED TV.

https://www.amazon.ca/APC-8-Oultet-Prot ... 45&sr=8-13
i use the same one as the first link i have 1 usb cable with A on one end and C on the other and one A to micro for charging stuff. the ports are 2.4A so they charge stuff up quite fast if the device supports fast charging. u use to be able to get it from costco.ca for $35 with free shipping now u have to have a membership to order
Nov 14, 2010
965 posts
230 upvotes
Alligatorclip wrote: Apparently UL or cUL is not a legal requirement, just a recommendation.
http://www.mtccc.com/wp-content/uploads ... o_Show.pdf
Before an electrical product or piece of electrical equipment is used, sold, displayed or advertised for sale in Ontario, it must be approved by an accredited certification or inspection body. The item must carry the official mark or label of the agency which indicate that the product has been independently assessed for safety. See the list of recognized marks and labels on the back of this card.
The Ontario Electrical Safety Code and Ontario Regulation 438/07 both require that all electrical products, devices and equipment be approved before they can be sold. These rules define the standards for safe electrical products and electrical installations in Ontario, and when followed, protect the public, workers, contractors and business owners. Failure to comply with the Code and Regulation is an offence and upon conviction a corporation may be found liable to a fine up to $1 million and a person or director/officer of a corporation could be fined up to $50,000 and/or imprisonment of not more than one year. Installation and connection of unapproved electrical equipment is against the law, puts people at risk and is liable to prosecution.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1335 posts
301 upvotes
Ottawa
Trying to find a certified flame led bulb for awhile now, no luck... love the looks though.
Nov 14, 2010
965 posts
230 upvotes
BadakC30989 wrote: Wait, so Amazon is violating Ontario law by selling UL devices?
They sell a ton of fake crap that isn't even certified to anything, and do what they can to circumvent labour laws. Amazon is not an ethical company.

Is there any more information about the certification other than a vague user-contributed Q&A in the product list? I would like to see an actual photo of the tag, to make sure it's just UL, and not cULus. Also curious someone points out the similarities to the APC P12U2, which Schneider lists on their website as having the approval "CULus".
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30959 posts
1773 upvotes
Fernando Poo
rpodcuts? Anyway, I avoid anything built in China from a Chinese company as not having proper certification.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
cheapskatescooner wrote: They sell a ton of fake crap that isn't even certified to anything, and do what they can to circumvent labour laws. Amazon is not an ethical company.

Is there any more information about the certification other than a vague user-contributed Q&A in the product list? I would like to see an actual photo of the tag, to make sure it's just UL, and not cULus. Also curious someone points out the similarities to the APC P12U2, which Schneider lists on their website as having the approval "CULus".
This is an AmazonBasics product which I’d assume is at least designed and approved by Amazon. I realize there’s a ton of third party sellers but I won’t buy those at all. I’d have thought an AmazonBasics product would meet some sensible local laws where they’re selling the product. The UL sticker looks genuine on the original product — but I’ll need to verify this against a database as suggested in an earlier post.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19660 posts
7202 upvotes
Socially Distanced
cheapskatescooner wrote:
They sell a ton of fake crap that isn't even certified to anything, and do what they can to circumvent labour laws. Amazon is not an ethical company.

A run of fake stickers would cost them a few dollars. These days i only trust electronics from name brands or sold by big box stores. Amazon is not one of them, they can claim third party, they have deep pockets and expensive lawyers and are too big to fail.
BadakC30989 wrote:
This is an AmazonBasics product which I’d assume is at least designed and approved by Amazon. I realize there’s a ton of third party sellers but I won’t buy those at all. I’d have thought an AmazonBasics product would meet some sensible local laws where they’re selling the product. The UL sticker looks genuine on the original product — but I’ll need to verify this against a database as suggested in an earlier post.
I figured about the same, that Amazon's own brand should be legal because they are a legitimate multinational corporation.
This changed my mind
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/business ... index.html

Here is a thread where this is talked about:
amazon-ca-amazonbasics-6-sheet-high-sec ... 2-2410528/
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people