Cultured marble sink repair

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2017 4:52 pm
Sep 14, 2003
723 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto

Cultured marble sink repair

Has anyone done it before? Is it to repair a cracked cultured marble sink? I have a crack that's grown considerably in size and is in need of repair... it's really noticeable now. I've looked at some 'diy repair' stuff on Youtube, but all of them are on the two extremes - hairline cracks or a hole. This one is a long crack and you can feel it with your finger...

... or is it time to consider replacement?
crack.jpg
4 replies
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
go to a marble place and ask them? Get several opinions though
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
You'll never be able to repair this well and any fix will be temporary. And, it will look like crap which you'll have to stare at every time you use the sink.

if you want to save some money, just get a replacement top, perhaps not the entire complete vanity.

cracks don't usually appear in the corner like that. They usually originate from the drain hole and spread out. I've actually never seen a crack like that in that location.
In any case, a crack up there is ok - i.e. it won't suddenly give out and collapse on you. You can go on years with that crack , but it will just be an eyesore.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
same color caulking smeared over it might do
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
You can either get white epoxy grout (it's glossy, unlike cement-based grout) and because it's epoxy, it might keep it from getting bigger. Alternatively (especially if you don't want to buy a tub of grout), white 100% silicone caulk to fill the gap, but that's just to keep water from getting into the crack; it still might get bigger.

"Cultured" marble is ground marble particles mixed with resin (i.e. plastic). It's more similar to plastic than marble, hence the significantly lower cost compared to slab marble.