Shopping Discussion

Cup of water at McDonald's now $.20 ?? (Edmonton)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 12:08 pm
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
6 posts
4 upvotes

Cup of water at McDonald's now $.20 ?? (Edmonton)

Stopped by McDonald's and ordered food but no drink. Said I wanted just a cup of water. Manager said that would be $.20. I said I never had to pay before. He said now you have to. OK, forget about the water; just paid for my food. This happened at the McDonald's on Gateway Blvd & 80th Ave in Edmonton. Drove to another McDonald's (109 St & 63rd Ave) - got a cup of water for free along with a cup of coffee. No charge. So what is the deal ? Managers and staff charge if they want to ? Or is someone having a bad day ?
Last edited by ShirleyE785283 on Jan 7th, 2018 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
53 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10242 posts
2762 upvotes
Newmarket
ShirleyE785283 wrote: Stopped by McDonald's and ordered food but no drink. Said I wanted just a cup of water. Manager said that would be $.20. I said I never had to pay before. He said now you have to. OK, forget about the water; just paid for my food. This happened at the McDonald's on Gateway Blvd & 80th Ave in Edmonton. Drove to another McDonald's (109 St & 63rd Ave) - got a cup of water for free along with a cup of coffee. No charge. So what is the deal ? Managers and staff charge if they want to ? Or is someone having a bad day ?
Interesting first post here on RFD....Is the restaurant not entitled to be compensated for the cup & time to fill the cup & water?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9405 posts
1769 upvotes
Toronto
Do they give you a cup and the water is dispensed from a self serve machine?
I figure not all of them have self serve machines either.
Or maybe the water is dispensed from behind the counter and maybe just a charge for the cup?
At the McDonalds close to me, once saw a woman walk off the street,take one of those small ketchup cups and headed to the self serve drinks dispenser.
She filled one of those small cups and had a gulp before exiting and continuing on her way. Lolz
Sep 6, 2015
41 posts
8 upvotes
I do not eat fast food often but you would be surprised at how many people pick up a used cup from the garbage or use an old cup from their last visit
and steal free drinks at the fountain or ask for free coffee refills at these places.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9405 posts
1769 upvotes
Toronto
EyeGasm wrote: I do not eat fast food often but you would be surprised at how many people pick up a used cup from the garbage or use an old cup from their last visit
and steal free drinks at the fountain or ask for free coffee refills at these places.
Hopefully this is not someone I kissed recently or ever would in the future.
As an aside, I see quite a few older men especially, searching through the trash bins in TTC subways.
Many of them don't look like bums, and are even well dressed sometimes.
Maybe searching for some Mc Donalds cups maybe.
Especially at places like Dundas West where there is a Mc Donalds attached to the subway station.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1560 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't see anything wrong with charging .20 cents for a cup of water. I hate McDonald's but hey someone has to pay for the cup.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4672 posts
4186 upvotes
Just go to Starbucks where it's still free to get any size cup of filtered water (the same water they use to make coffee).
gh05t wrote: As an aside, I see quite a few older men especially, searching through the trash bins in TTC subways.
Many of them don't look like bums, and are even well dressed sometimes.
Maybe searching for some Mc Donalds cups maybe.
Especially at places like Dundas West where there is a Mc Donalds attached to the subway station.
Probably looking for cups that still have the sticker on them... 7 stickers = free premium McCafe drink....
Friendly reminder #1: Keurig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20711 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Probably looking for cups that still have the sticker on them... 7 stickers = free premium McCafe drink....
Yes, that's what they are doing. I even seen people pick up McDonalds cups in parking lots just for the sticker.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4565 upvotes
Alberta
They are just recuperating the minimum wage increase to $15.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19932 posts
4517 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
EyeGasm wrote: I do not eat fast food often but you would be surprised at how many people pick up a used cup from the garbage or use an old cup from their last visit
Labour is the most expensive component of those fountain drinks.
I guess restaurants don't mind this kind of theft, in the same way grocery stores probably would prefer to give free plastic bags rather than have those plastic baskets stolen left and right.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jan 7th, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
May 12, 2012
87 posts
49 upvotes
BC
Could just be a specific franchise doing it. Some owners are a lot cheaper than others. Some have dyson hand dryers in their bathrooms, others have vents that shoot out cold air. It's all over the place.

Big picture wise, 20 cents is very reasonable IMO considering the costs involved and impact this has on the environment. If this was my franchise I would charge for a cup for your impact on the environment and consider it on the house if you provide me with a reusable bottle to fill water up for you.

Things to consider:

1. Cost of cup
2. Cost of employee spending time on your request (and cleaning it up).
3. Cost of waste collection and disposal.
4. City mandated tax on disposal.

I work in waste disposal so the back end piece is huge for me. The amount of fast food garbage thrown all over the city is a disgrace. Restaurants need to send employees out in the parking lot every few hours to cleanup all the crap thrown all over their parking lots... and that's just capturing a small amount of it as a TON of fast food garbage ends up at bus stops, on the side of the street, etc.

Not many are aware but cities force companies like McDs to pay a substantial tax on a yearly basis to account for all of their waste that ends up elsewhere.

Not saying OP is going to throw his/her cup on the ground, but all things considered 20 cents is nothing when you consider the bigger picture.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15566 posts
13169 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Only on RFD would someone complain about a 20 cent charge.
Sep 27, 2003
10242 posts
2762 upvotes
Newmarket
EP32k2 wrote: Only on RFD would someone complain about a 20 cent charge.
And as their first post...
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15566 posts
13169 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WorldIRC wrote: And as their first post...
My issue with OPs rant isn't even about the 20 cents. It's self entitlement thinking that business should be giving stuff away for free. As others have already said, cups and labour isn't free.

What irks me are those that ask for a second cup for their coffee at Timmie's because the cup is too hot to hold onto. Timmie's has the sleeves for that purpose but people would still rather have another cup and create more waste...
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2349 posts
994 upvotes
Montreal, QC
WorldIRC wrote: And as their first post...
if what i learned on twitter is correct, someone with that many numbers next to their name is a russian bot. way to go bot
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11645 posts
506 upvotes
Reminds me of the time I was in Starbucks and some lady came in and asked if the free refill policy would work if she bought the hobo by the door a coffee and he could come in all day for free refills.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15189 posts
12342 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It’s a Franchisee decision.

Looking to ensure their bottom line is as big & fat as possible.

If you had come in and ONLY wanted water, then I could see the thought process...
“they are in the restaurant biz to make money... not just give stuff away”

But, because you bought food too... I think they are being totally unreasonable.
A cup with water is something that a Restaurant (any restaurant) should be able to give their paying Customer for free

A lot of folks drink water with their meals... and then have a Coffee afterwards

This store IMO was being unreasonable. Such a stingy policy for a PAYING Customer.
I’d be boycotting this McDs if I was in your shoes
There are lots of others to pick from (or other Fast Food joints)