Home & Garden

Curb Stop replacement

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 6:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto

Curb Stop replacement

Just wondering what the going rate is to have the curb stop by your home replaced? The entire head of the curb stop is broken, so I imagine having to dig out the broken pieces and installing a new one.

Is $1000 reasonable? No idea as I've never even seen this come up in all the places I've lived in.

The curb stop is not the city's responsibility in this scenario.
10 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
610 posts
301 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Yep I just had mine replaced in Oshawa. Call your local Works department and they should handle it all with no fees or charges. Including repatching your driveway.

Why would the city not cover for you? Your ownership of the pipework is from the curb stop to your meter, I think. Maybe even after your meter.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7788 posts
2529 upvotes
Maple
What is ‘curb stop’?
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
560 posts
447 upvotes
teoconca wrote: What is ‘curb stop’?
A curb stop is the water shutoff valve that is usually located on the property line for most residential properties. Some people also call it a water key.

It is usually part of the municipal water infrastructure and it allows the municipality to shut off your water without entering your property.

This guy:

Image

Anyways, in most municipalities it is not owned by the homeowner, and generally illegal to touch it. To even turn it on and off you need to usually call your Town/City.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Because I live in a situation where the city sends one bill for the entire complex, and it is up to the board to sort out individual water use amongst the units. Also, because of this situation, the city said the Curb Stops are our own problem to deal with.

Otherwise I'd just let the city deal with it. Unfortunately they confirmed they won't touch it (since they have one big Curb Stop somewhere closer to the main that controls it for the entire complex).\

Anyway, it looks like most people will never have to deal with this issue. Thanks for trying.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
15679 posts
4736 upvotes
London
Xeros wrote: Because I live in a situation where the city sends one bill for the entire complex, and it is up to the board to sort out individual water use amongst the units. Also, because of this situation, the city said the Curb Stops are our own problem to deal with.

Otherwise I'd just let the city deal with it. Unfortunately they confirmed they won't touch it (since they have one big Curb Stop somewhere closer to the main that controls it for the entire complex).\

Anyway, it looks like most people will never have to deal with this issue. Thanks for trying.
Try a specialized contractor like maybe
https://trustedpros.ca/company/nu-tech- ... ox-repairs

Instead of excavating down with a back hoe and making a huge mess, some specialized contractors use a vacuum truck. They make a hole about only 1 ft x 1 ft around the curb stop, replace the bad parts and refill with gravel. Someone I knew had this done (by the city's contractor). They rolled up one night at 11:30pm and were gone by just after midnight. They went all the way down to the water line too.

You can also ask the city if they contract this work out and who the subcontractor is.
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2018
109 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
the head is just a cover... they'll swap that out in a jiffy. The actual valve is deep underground
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
560 posts
447 upvotes
Xeros wrote: Because I live in a situation where the city sends one bill for the entire complex, and it is up to the board to sort out individual water use amongst the units. Also, because of this situation, the city said the Curb Stops are our own problem to deal with.

Otherwise I'd just let the city deal with it. Unfortunately they confirmed they won't touch it (since they have one big Curb Stop somewhere closer to the main that controls it for the entire complex).\

Anyway, it looks like most people will never have to deal with this issue. Thanks for trying.
In this case, is the shutoff part of your responsibility or is it part of the common element?

Anyways, what I would recommend is to call the City and ask them for a list of contractors who do their site servicing work or service connections. You could potentially contact them directly. In the end, if you can get a servicing contractor to do it, it's probably the best way forward, however it is harder to get them to do some of the smaller jobs.

I assume you are in Toronto? If so, I could maybe see if some of the smaller guys are interested in this work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: In this case, is the shutoff part of your responsibility or is it part of the common element?

Anyways, what I would recommend is to call the City and ask them for a list of contractors who do their site servicing work or service connections. You could potentially contact them directly. In the end, if you can get a servicing contractor to do it, it's probably the best way forward, however it is harder to get them to do some of the smaller jobs.

I assume you are in Toronto? If so, I could maybe see if some of the smaller guys are interested in this work.
Left the shutoff as unit owner responsibility.

Already found a company, just wondering if the $1K quote was reasonable, and if any other people have experience with privately fixing their curb stop.

However, just from the responses, it seems like it is rare to have to personally repair this.

I appreciate the help.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27676 posts
8034 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: A curb stop is the water shutoff valve that is usually located on the property line for most residential properties. Some people also call it a water key.
Why don't they just call it the water shut-off valve on the drive/lawn? lol

Anyway yeah my mom hit mine one time when "helping" to mow the lawn :rolleyes: Took a big chunk out of it. Called the city and they replaced.

OP OTOH sounds like they are up the creek if they gotta pay for this themselves, and if it costs $1k. I mean how badly damaged is it and is it causing a problem? 'Cause mine was just missing a piece but was still functionally intact. If city wasn't gonna pay for it I would have just left it lol.

Top