• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 8:12 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2007
72 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Current prices in USA for gas and groceries

If you considering grocery shopping in US.

Gas,milk,eggs beer ...
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6252 posts
2431 upvotes
I am currently in Cape Cod MA - gas is as low as $2.35 USD/3.8 litres.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2007
72 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
It was $2.55 per gallon in Niagara Falls, NY last weekend and $1.14 per liter in Toronto
[OP]
Feb 16, 2007
72 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
$10 Canadian dollars for 90 eggs It is a good deal in my books.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12685 posts
9915 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I think most of us know there are things to be found in the USA that are cheaper than in Canada
(And vice versa, there are things in Canada that are cheaper than in America)

This video is all well & good in that it presents that info

BUT ... it does nothing to explain to the Traveller that there may be RESTRICTIONS on actually importing many of the goods featured in this video into Canada

EVERY Cdn travelling outside of Canada should be aware of those facts
And how some of the RESTRICTIONS / LIMITATIONS may apply to their shopping / importing plans

CBSA - I Declare = https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... e-eng.html
CFIA Info for Travellers = http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 9648516990

As well, things may change from time to time ...
Be it a situation with Tariffs
Or ... an issue with some Food / Agricultural Product
So something that is permitted today ... could be restricted tomorrow

My best advice ... do your research BEFORE you shop
Or ... play it safe and don’t cross the border (either direction) with any AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS or FRESH FOOD
(Be it ... Meat, Poultry, Fish, Seafood, Eggs, Milk & Dairy, Fruits Or Veggies )
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3806 posts
2025 upvotes
Gotham
PointsHubby wrote: I think most of us know there are things to be found in the USA that are cheaper than in Canada
(And vice versa, there are things in Canada that are cheaper than in America)

This video is all well & good in that it presents that info

BUT ... it does nothing to explain to the Traveller that there may be RESTRICTIONS on actually importing many of the goods featured in this video into Canada

EVERY Cdn travelling outside of Canada should be aware of those facts
And how some of the RESTRICTIONS / LIMITATIONS may apply to their shopping / importing plans

CBSA - I Declare = https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... e-eng.html
CFIA Info for Travellers = http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 9648516990

As well, things may change from time to time ...
Be it a situation with Tariffs
Or ... an issue with some Food / Agricultural Product
So something that is permitted today ... could be restricted tomorrow

My best advice ... do your research BEFORE you shop
Or ... play it safe and don’t cross the border (either direction) with any AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS or FRESH FOOD
(Be it ... Meat, Poultry, Fish, Seafood, Eggs, Milk & Dairy, Fruits Or Veggies )
Crossing into the US is not permissable with fresh food.

However, your post based on the highlighted link above and not crossing the border back to Canada with agricultural products and fresh food is contradictory. As long as fresh food such as fruits and vegetable are declared and, free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and/or plant debris plus proof or origin in some cases, one can import 250kg of fresh fruit/vegetable and 20kg of meat. That page was last modified on 2018-04-23.
Dec 6, 2012
350 posts
167 upvotes
Montréal, QC
ShoppingMad wrote: $10 Canadian dollars for 90 eggs It is a good deal in my books.
I'm pretty sure you are limited to 24 eggs, per trip, not even per person.
Sep 28, 2017
630 posts
403 upvotes
we do a weekly grocery shop in the US and have brought back meats, poultry and dairy products with no issues. they only crack down on things if there is a recall in effect for certain items (meats, dairy), but we always check that before buying... and yes we declare all our grocery. i've been able to cross back with 2 cases of beer as well without issues or having to pay duty. so i would say it depends on the cbsa agent and how you project yourself when being questioned if you have a good experience or bad one.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12685 posts
9915 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
batcave wrote: Crossing into the US is not permissable with fresh food.

However, your post based on the highlighted link above and not crossing the border back to Canada with agricultural products and fresh food is contradictory. As long as fresh food such as fruits and vegetable are declared and, free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and/or plant debris plus proof or origin in some cases, one can import 250kg of fresh fruit/vegetable and 20kg of meat. That page was last modified on 2018-04-23.
Used to work for Customs.

My post was merely to say the video presented only showed price differences... it did not go into the actual RESTRICTIONS & LIMITATIONS

Like the BAN currently on many fresh foods being imported into the USA
(As you mentioned)

Or how Canada has RESTRICTIONS by weight, quantity etc on particular items (did you even read the link you highlighted ? )

Example ... Meat & Poultry = not more than 20 Kg per person, including 1 Turkey
Diary Products = not more than 20 Kg, with high rate of duty after $ 20 Cdn Spent
Etc

Most people INCORRECTLY think that Groceries are entirely Duty Free / Free Game when going to the USA
Even for a Day Trip
They are not. There are these RESTRICTIONS & LIMITATIONS still / always in effect
(Of which there are many, and they change often enough ... by Ag Can, dependent on health & safety issues
Someone mentioned Eggs ... for awhile, Raw Eggs of any sort were banned entirely )

Including one’s regular Out of Country Personal Exemptions ... $ 0 - $ 200 - $ 800

So this video just showing comparison prices could be misleading
And Travellers cannot plead ignorance to the law ... by not declaring or under-declaring
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3806 posts
2025 upvotes
Gotham
PointsHubby wrote: Used to work for Customs.

My post was merely to say the video presented only showed price differences... it did not go into the actual RESTRICTIONS & LIMITATIONS

Like the BAN currently on many fresh foods being imported into the USA
(As you mentioned)

Or how Canada has RESTRICTIONS by weight, quantity etc on particular items (did you even read the link you highlighted ? )

Example ... Meat & Poultry = not more than 20 Kg per person, including 1 Turkey
Diary Products = not more than 20 Kg, with high rate of duty after $ 20 Cdn Spent
Etc

Most people INCORRECTLY think that Groceries are entirely Duty Free / Free Game when going to the USA
Even for a Day Trip
They are not. There are these RESTRICTIONS & LIMITATIONS still / always in effect
(Of which there are many, and they change often enough ... by Ag Can, dependent on health & safety issues
Someone mentioned Eggs ... for awhile, Raw Eggs of any sort were banned entirely )

Including one’s regular Out of Country Personal Exemptions ... $ 0 - $ 200 - $ 800

So this video just showing comparison prices could be misleading
And Travellers cannot plead ignorance to the law ... by not declaring or under-declaring
I do not buy animal products in the US so I'm exempt. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I have a print out of that page in my glove box for reference.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11519 upvotes
Why is everything a video nowadays?
PointsHubby wrote: Used to work for Customs.
I've always wondered how many people were over (for agricultural) and got waived.
Like would you or your colleagues waive 90 eggs for example?
It's a lot but obviously not enough for a restaurant.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5838 posts
1674 upvotes
Montreal
Magister wrote: I'm pretty sure you are limited to 24 eggs, per trip, not even per person.
death_hawk wrote: Why is everything a video nowadays?

I've always wondered how many people were over (for agricultural) and got waived.
Like would you or your colleagues waive 90 eggs for example?
It's a lot but obviously not enough for a restaurant.
I can't find anything about restrictions on eggs. I've brought back as many as 60 without issue.