Current wait times for electric vehicles

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 2:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2006
200 posts
5 upvotes

Current wait times for electric vehicles

Just trying to get a sense of the current wait times for an electric vehicle if I were to purchase one now. If you purchased one recently, can you please tell me which car you got and how long you’ve waited or have to wait? Thank you!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2079 posts
1380 upvotes
Durham
Not that I'm looking for one, but I was at Nissan last week and was curious. The Leaf is currently a 3 month wait.
Nov 28, 2017
58 posts
16 upvotes
We negotiated a Volt for a client recently - there are none out there, but we found a dealer who could still order one. it took about 9 weeks. We didny find any 2018 Leafs and thats all my client was interested in.

I hope that helps.

Regards
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1248 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered my 2018 Bolt November 2017 and just received first week of June. Dealer told me anyone ordering now would be 2019 model and up to 12 month delivery time.

More concern is if/when Doug Ford kills EV rebates if you are in Ontario.
Oct 20, 2010
629 posts
201 upvotes
i hope he keeps them. i was planning on switching to either PHEV or Full EV vehicle in the new year(making an order anyways)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
brockster wrote: I ordered my 2018 Bolt November 2017 and just received first week of June. Dealer told me anyone ordering now would be 2019 model and up to 12 month delivery time.

More concern is if/when Doug Ford kills EV rebates if you are in Ontario.
Order one and get it in writing that it is fully refundable. They will be happy to get an order through the dealership and it will keep your options open. The know they will sell a Bolt even without the rebate (which is probably going to stay as it benefits people who can afford a new car who are PC Party potential voters). Ford seemed to imply in a recent post election interview you would get a rebate on an $80k BEV.
Sep 13, 2009
120 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
Ordered my Volt 1 month ago today (June 11th). Factory confirmed the order but has not given a build date yet. Should be 2-3 weeks after build date for it to arrive.

I checked into the following when i was looking for PHEV's in early June 2018.
Honda Clarity: 6 month wait
Hyundai Ioniq: 6 month wait
Chevy Bolt 9-12 Month wait
Chevy Volt: 6-8 week wait
Tesla Model 3: unknown

I chose the volt because of the shorter wait time, liked the hackback style, and the 85km estimated range. My work commute is 75km daily. Ioniq and Clarity couldn't let me go all electric to work and back.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5898 posts
5071 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dhodgin wrote: Ordered my Volt 1 month ago today (June 11th). Factory confirmed the order but has not given a build date yet. Should be 2-3 weeks after build date for it to arrive.

I chose the volt because of the shorter wait time, liked the hackback style, and the 85km estimated range. My work commute is 75km daily. Ioniq and Clarity couldn't let me go all electric to work and back.
Kia still has some Soul EV stock for immediate delivery.
Sep 13, 2009
120 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
CanadianLurker wrote: Kia still has some Soul EV stock for immediate delivery.
Thanks. I ruled out the Optima PHEV (which looked REALLY nice, with A/C seats!) due to time wait and limited range, and I ruled out the Soul because of the BEV only and no PHEV option, as well as the limited cargo space.

I do a lot of camping outside the city up to 500km. Can't go pure BEV yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5350 posts
11202 upvotes
Ottawa
dhodgin wrote: Ordered my Volt 1 month ago today (June 11th). Factory confirmed the order but has not given a build date yet. Should be 2-3 weeks after build date for it to arrive.

Ford Fusion PHEV should be available right from the lot. At least Ford inventory checker shows some available.
Great opportunity right now with ~3k Ford Employee Pricing + 3k delivery allowance + 1k costco discount. +7k from Ontario if you manage to get it in time.
Electric range is not great though.
Apr 10, 2009
784 posts
223 upvotes
eGolf ordered Aug 2017.

Should arrive Sep 2018.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1753 posts
578 upvotes
Mississauga
well, wait time should improve since EVIP is offically cancelled now.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3084 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote: well, wait time should improve since EVIP is offically cancelled now.
Yeah and elon is wondering why no one is ordering model 3's in Ontario anymore!

He's like, come on it's only $65K very affordable!!!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
8045 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
tons of cancellations coming..
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
I canceled my deposit, the model 3 was only an option with a rebate (I need a bigger car anyways). I have a feeling there will be many AWD model 3 for sale in Sept. for a discount when the rebate doesn't come.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
some1not wrote: Yeah and elon is wondering why no one is ordering model 3's in Ontario anymore!

He's like, come on it's only $65K very affordable!!!
If reliability was bullet proof, I think many of us wouldn't mind.

Hopefully the Germans offer their upcoming BEVs at more reasonable costs / premiums over their ICEV counterparts.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
maverick09 wrote: Unfortunately I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. The Germans aren't able to produce a Model 3 competitor at its current price point. I think at least until VW comes out with their ID line in 2020-2021? We will only see 100K CAD BEV only vehicles (cars, cuvs, suvs). At least with the kind of range expected to go mainstream.

Jag I-PACE - $86K Base
Audi Q6 BEV - rumored to be $90k
Mercedes BEV CUV - I can't see them pricing it below its direct competition so $85k+
Porsche Taycon - $120k+

Eventually we will get to a price point comparable to ICE cars - I hold out hope that solid state batteries make a significant breakthrough in the next 5 years.
That's probably true. The Germans and Japanese will likely start offering BEVs in the mid to higher models. But the iX3 will be made in China and because there is a X3 ICEV, at least the premium for the BEV will be quite transparent. The base starts at $48k CAD here so maybe $68K for a barebone BMW BEV is grounded in reality and with 25% tariff in the US, maybe it makes sense to offload these babies in Canada. The i3 is pretty decent. It just needs a bigger battery pack to cover a longer driving range but people here on RFD are saying it's been a quite reliable vehicle for them.

But if Tesla thinks it can be profitable selling at $70k, I'm sure the Germans will too. They will also have to anyway thanks to dieselgate where all of them have been found to use some sort of defeat device, maybe not as egregious as VW but I've read that even MB and BMW are being investigated.

I don't mind waiting and though I'm not happy (for those wanting to buy a BEV/PHEV in Ontario) the EVIP is gone, a part of me was glad to see it go for now so the rationale side of me will just wait for a BEV with the following features -- AWD, 250 km (winter range), TMS, heated steering wheel, heated seats and higher reliability over ICEV counterpart, hopefully all for around $55k CAD. If not, I've got Honda's and a Toyota to tide my household over.

The Tesla would have covered a lot of my requirements but reliability and ongoing concern for the car operation are my main concerns. No point trying to save on gasoline costs that may get eclipsed by repair costs from year 9 onward.

There will be federal incentives down the road but don't know when tax exemption is going to kick in.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1898 posts
2313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
demanche wrote: I canceled my deposit, the model 3 was only an option with a rebate (I need a bigger car anyways). I have a feeling there will be many AWD model 3 for sale in Sept. for a discount when the rebate doesn't come.
How did that work out?
Pretty sure you have no evidence there is any discounting on Model 3.
Tesla basically sold out, unless you order, don't expect a discounted inventory Model 3 in Canada, they don't exist.