Automotive

Which currently available hybrid vehicle system is best? Can it beat diesel on highway MPG?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2017 8:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes

Which currently available hybrid vehicle system is best? Can it beat diesel on highway MPG?

I'm not talking about MPGe where Chevrolet Volt probably takes the crown but just in terms of the engineering design for simplicity and reliability. If VW's TDI is currently shot and we don't really have a lot of diesel engine cars available at the moment that offer good highway MPG, what are some great highway cruisers that sip fuel and are still powerful enough on city roads ( i.e. Prius-like performance)?

Is Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive really the most reliable there is?

Thinking about potentially driving 100-150 km a day with 80-90% of it being on highways. No I'm not going to become an Uber driver but yeah maybe carpooling is best. :)

Hybrid and Electric Cars 2017-2018: The Best and the Rest
http://www.caranddriver.com/best-hybrid-electric-cars
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
868 upvotes
Ottawa
Hybrid won't help you on the highway very much.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top ... ghway.html
If you drive a lot, comfort quickly becomes more of a top priority than just straight fuel economy. I could get 30 MPG easy on the highway in my 2000 Impala, and that thing was built to cruise the highway in comfort. And many of the top end fuel economy numbers are theoretical test gaming, anyway.

Real world fuel economy: http://www.truedelta.com/mpg
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4393 posts
926 upvotes
If you're planning on doing that much highway driving, test drive a CVT equipped Civic or Accord.

Though even the VCM equipped V6 Accords and TLXs get excellent pure highway mileage.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes
Thanks both. I have an 11 Accord (non-CVT - conventional 5 AT) and I'm getting around 11-13 km/L, which is about 26-31 MPG.

So no point considering a more fuel efficient car since the depreciation hit (and potential repairs costs; my Accord has been almost bullet proof and after 2018, I will be doing DIY maintenance, no repairs, completely) will be significant on 2014 and newer cars?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4393 posts
926 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks both. I have an 11 Accord (non-CVT - conventional 5 AT) and I'm getting around 11-13 km/L, which is about 26-31 MPG.
Is that combined mileage? Have you ever tried resetting a meter while you're on a stretch on the highway and see what mileage you get there. That might give you a better idea of your current Accord will get if you do end up driving so much. On a TLX with AWD, for pure highway stretches I'm seeing low to mid 5L/100 km, so whatever may be said about it, it's a great highway cruiser. :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes
There is no MPG reading. It's all done during fill ups, haha.

Wow, 18 km/L on the highway beats even hybrids in city driving.

Hey, the upcoming one's grill is fugly, so be glad you got yours earlier. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4393 posts
926 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Hey, the upcoming one's grill is fugly, so be glad you got yours earlier. ;)
I'm kinda warming up to it. Might be acceptable it as long as the refresh is significant; such as getting the recently demoed Acura interior and UI and the rumored V6 Turbo. The 3.5 is a great engine but it's hard to compete when everybody else in that segment has much more powerful engines as an option.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2706 posts
1229 upvotes
Calgary
How do you guys know what's good when looking at km/L? I've never seen that metric used anywhere except this forum. I realize you can use a calculator to quickly convert to L/100kms but why?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes
^ km/L is much simpler in my head.

If my car can travel 13 km/L and I know my fuel tank can hold 45 L, then I know when to fill up based on how many kilometers I've traveled (585 km in this case). The fuel gauge is a good guide (but I read it's not so accurate it's just a floating mechanism or so I read). Not sure about temperature correction at the pump but I have had some days where the low fuel light lights up and I only have 1-2 liters remaining (fill up to 43 L).

I know this is not good to run the tank empty during winter so I fill up when there's 1/3-1/4 left.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20709 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The Prius, Accord Hybrid and Malibu Hybrid all get better mpg on the hwy than any diesel car available today.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3223 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
aleks wrote: How do you guys know what's good when looking at km/L? I've never seen that metric used anywhere except this forum. I realize you can use a calculator to quickly convert to L/100kms but why?
I find km/L makes no sense whatsoever. It's a metric that is non-standard and rarely used anywhere. L/100 km is much more standard and makes much more sense when discussing in a public forum and trying to make comparisons.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes
Little Tim wrote: I find km/L makes no sense whatsoever. It's a metric that is non-standard and rarely used anywhere. L/100 km is much more standard and makes much more sense when discussing in a public forum and trying to make comparisons.
Yeah, I usually convert to L/100 km or to MPG to compare against other driver's fuel economy but when I'm assessing my fill up needs, I use km/ L. Makes more sense to drill down to how much I can drive per L since that is the basis of our fill ups -- by the liter.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14884 posts
1180 upvotes
Markham
SLee wrote: Is that combined mileage? Have you ever tried resetting a meter while you're on a stretch on the highway and see what mileage you get there. That might give you a better idea of your current Accord will get if you do end up driving so much. On a TLX with AWD, for pure highway stretches I'm seeing low to mid 5L/100 km, so whatever may be said about it, it's a great highway cruiser. :)
There's no way you're getting low to mid 5L/100km on a TLX AWD

I bet you're reading the on-board computer during a downhill stretch of highway

You can find my real world fuel economy numbers on fuelly under my username

That said, I won't recommend this car for extended highway driving because of the vibration issues and the garbage 9 speed zf transmission. There's a reason why this car is so cheap to lease.

Check out the new Accord hybrid with its one of a kind hybrid setup... It's extremely unconventional and does well in its class size.
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4393 posts
926 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: There's no way you're getting low to mid 5L/100km on a TLX AWD
That's what I get both ways on a 18 km stretch of highway in Calgary, that while generally flat has some noticeable elevation changes and curves, using the onboard monitor. Which I've found is pretty accurate; it's optimistic by about 2-3%. Certainly city driving will knock it down given the weight and AWD but I was only offering the pure highway mileage as a comparison to Alan's Accord.
That said, I won't recommend this car for extended highway driving because of the vibration issues and the garbage 9 speed zf transmission. There's a reason why this car is so cheap to lease.
I haven't had the vibration issue, it's very smooth and the ZF isn't noticeable when shifting between 8 and 9.
Last edited by SLee on Jan 31st, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54388 posts
19225 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: There's no way you're getting low to mid 5L/100km on a TLX AWD

I bet you're reading the on-board computer during a downhill stretch of highway

You can find my real world fuel economy numbers on fuelly under my username

Check out the new Accord hybrid with its one of a kind hybrid setup... It's extremely unconventional and does well in its class size.
The thing with the Accord is the all new one will likely come out in September but yeah the hybrid might not until after 2018. 50 MPG is outstanding but not sure how it stacks to Toyota's reliability.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2700 upvotes
ON
Can't get much simpler/more reliable transmission than a gen1 volt and still have a dino burner in there (simplest/most reliable being electric motor only). Only has two clutches (between main motor and secondary motor, and on the other side of secondary motor and engine), and they only engage at 0rpm = basically 0 wear.
It's not going to give max hwy MPG, though. But the entire point of it is that you don't use gas 80%+ of the time (93% for me, currently), so it could get 20MPG and it wouldn't really matter that much. (I still get 5L/100km typically, which is good, but not great)
Engine not starting at all most days greatly extends engine reliability vs a hybrid that starts the engine every day but doesn't let it get hot enough in use.

Gen2 gets more complex, but much more efficient. Whether it's worth the trade-off, I don't know. Too early to tell long term reliability. Likely yes.

If all you care about is pure hwy MPG, then diesel probably still wins.
Sep 15, 2011
980 posts
502 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
I've got a 1.0L 3 Cylinder Turbo in my Fiesta. I drive 90km/day for my commute - almost entirely highway driving where I drive a fairly consistent 105km/h. I never have ANY traffic or stop lights and only 1 stop sign on the way to work and 3 on the way home. Obviously some optimal conditions, however there are lots of hills. During warm months I consistently get 4.5ish L/100km (as measured at the pump), during the winter (IE Right now) when Liberally warm my vehicle every morning I'm returning 5.7ish L/100km. This is running with snowtires. I absolutely adore my little car.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
631 upvotes
SLee wrote: Is that combined mileage? Have you ever tried resetting a meter while you're on a stretch on the highway and see what mileage you get there. That might give you a better idea of your current Accord will get if you do end up driving so much. On a TLX with AWD, for pure highway stretches I'm seeing low to mid 5L/100 km, so whatever may be said about it, it's a great highway cruiser. :)
You need to check your eyes. No way you are getting that kind of fuel economy. A TLX is no Prius.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4393 posts
926 upvotes
wal3145 wrote: You need to check your eyes. No way you are getting that kind of fuel economy. A TLX is no Prius.
VCM reducing the engine down to 3 cylinders and super-tall gearing makes it possible on a pure highway run with little traffic.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14884 posts
1180 upvotes
Markham
wal3145 wrote: You need to check your eyes. No way you are getting that kind of fuel economy. A TLX is no Prius.
He replied to my accusation already... He's reading the on-board computer for a small chunk of the commute

That's as useful as reporting a small downhill stretch on the 407 where I use 0L/100km as reported by my on-board computer

The 9 speed has wide range of gear ratios, but it's not magic... The TLX doesn't sip any less gas than its competitors nor does it accelerate any quicker... It's 9 speed for marketing.

Check fuelly for real world mileage as reported by its users
ShadowVlican