Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Curtis GPS - $47 at Canadian Tire (not only Kingston!)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2015 11:31 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1528 posts
1277 upvotes
Upstairs
Anyone else notice when using a US map in iGO...NY for instance, the street names is not displayed on the top or bottom bars (it's blank), but TTS still work...it does say the proper street name. Anyone know how to fix that?
Nov 15, 2008
192 posts
258 upvotes
Montreal
I said it before, I think having 3 forums is dividing the community we're trying to build.. so I've decided to disable the wiki forums and link to skipper's instead. wikidot is great for wikis, but I must say I'm not too impressed by their forum feature.. vbulletin should be better in the long run.

I think the biggest challenge now will be to get ppl to stop posting here and post in the forums instead. Isn't there a way for the OP to block new posts to the thread and mention skipper's forums in the first and last post of the thread?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9567 posts
2139 upvotes
Montreal
RedBargainz wrote: Anyone else notice when using a US map in iGO...NY for instance, the street names is not displayed on the top or bottom bars (it's blank), but TTS still work...it does say the proper street name. Anyone know how to fix that?
What map set are you using and what version of the software?

From the main menu of IGO8:

Click SETTINGS

Click > (the arrow in the bottom right)

Click About

Click Maps (bottom left)
animous wrote: I said it before, I think having 3 forums is dividing the community we're trying to build.. so I've decided to disable the wiki forums and link to skipper's instead. wikidot is great for wikis, but I must say I'm not too impressed by their forum feature.. vbulletin should be better in the long run.

I think the biggest challenge now will be to get ppl to stop posting here and post in the forums instead. Isn't there a way for the OP to block new posts to the thread and mention skipper's forums in the first and last post of the thread?
Once the deal runs dry (it's starting to run dry in many areas, well not Montreal though...he he!), we can get a moderator to post one last post to go to the wiki and then to move it to expired deals and lock it.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3190 posts
30 upvotes
does anyone know the Windows CE version that is installed in this curtis gps device?
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1528 posts
1277 upvotes
Upstairs
yuprules wrote: What map set are you using and what version of the software?

From the main menu of IGO8:

Click SETTINGS

Click > (the arrow in the bottom right)

Click About

Click Maps (bottom left)
Igo 8.3.2.64873
United States - New York 2008.Q2

Street names work fine with Canada 2008.Q2
Jul 6, 2008
201 posts
56 upvotes
animous wrote: I think the biggest challenge now will be to get ppl to stop posting here and post in the forums instead. Isn't there a way for the OP to block new posts to the thread and mention skipper's forums in the first and last post of the thread?
Animous, thanks for setting up the wiki. I've been having fun contributing to it (some of the screen shots) :cheesygri

As for the forum, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Eventually once everyone "modifies" theirs, this is going die down I would guess. And when this thread dies down due to the lack of supply, hard core users will head over to the forum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6556 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
dinesh_zee wrote: does anyone know the Windows CE version that is installed in this curtis gps device?
5.0. Its on a sticker on the back of the device.
This space for rent
Nov 15, 2008
192 posts
258 upvotes
Montreal
morris_the_cat wrote: It is between the speaker icon and the date, at the botton in miomap. I can't believe this thing won't rotate the screen!
I'd also love for the screen to rotate.. a bunch of the better games would finally be usable. I thought GAPI might be able to do it, but if an app or game doesn't use gx.dll, then I don't think GAPI is used. I tried to install nyditot, but when I reboot I think what was in Windows disappears. I'm pretty sure I saw a post with solution for that, but I can't find it..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9567 posts
2139 upvotes
Montreal
RedBargainz wrote: Igo 8.3.2.64873
United States - New York 2008.Q2

Street names work fine with Canada 2008.Q2
I went into plan mode and simulated route from smack downtown New York (21st) to the airport, showed all street names at the top and bottom.

Mine is 8.3.2.71348.

Same map set as you do. Looks like there is a bug in your version of the software.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5159 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
KosMos wrote: That's ok if you are talking about 'stock' poi files, for example 'canada.poi'.
But if you need to use 'custom' poi-files, from poifriend for example, you should put them to 'userdata' folder.
I put .kml's into content/userdata/poi and now i can see them in the manage poi section. However when i put canada.poi into content/poi i cant see it anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9567 posts
2139 upvotes
Montreal
So when you search for a POI in all categories you don't see any near by businesses except your "personal POI's"?

Then you have the wrong version of POI's for your version of IGO.

8.0 poi's don't work with 8.3
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1534 posts
78 upvotes
Scottie wrote: Does IGO 8 Tell you what side of the street stuff is on? Also how is everyone liking IGO8? it tried to send me up a 1 way street the wrong way and also my address is off by about 1 block.
This has been mentioned before and looks like a no go. I would really love to have this feature as I find it very handy on my Garmin GPS.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1534 posts
78 upvotes
kable2 wrote: USB is an industry standard. If the charger has a mini USB plug it will be 5v DC output. This will work fine with the unit.
Unfortunate it does not work. The battery pack comes with Ipod only hold 2 AAA battery, which does not have enough voltage. I would need a 5V device with 4 batteries. This one in Newegg.ca looks good but shipping is twice of the product itself !

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817801012

Product link;

http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/660
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1543 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville
sfrancis wrote: Unfortunate it does not work. The battery pack comes with Ipod only hold 2 AAA battery, which does not have enough voltage.
There might be voltage upconverting chip inside.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2004
1528 posts
1277 upvotes
Upstairs
yuprules wrote: I went into plan mode and simulated route from smack downtown New York (21st) to the airport, showed all street names at the top and bottom.

Mine is 8.3.2.71348.

Same map set as you do. Looks like there is a bug in your version of the software.
Tried it again in a bigger US city...it does work...must have been the small hick town I was in. Thanks.

I think I did find a bug though...when you enter onto I-87 for example and the drive is over 100KM, it only reads the first two digits. For example, if I need to drive 152KM on the highway, it says "drive for 15KM".
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1534 posts
78 upvotes
KosMos wrote: There might be voltage upconverting chip inside.
that's a good point. When I plug it in my Curtis the charging light stayed on for a few seconds and then disappeared. I would think that with upconverting chip you end up with a higher voltage but will have less current and this device may need certain level of current to work.
Oct 25, 2004
482 posts
40 upvotes
RedBargainz wrote: Tried it again in a bigger US city...it does work...must have been the small hick town I was in. Thanks.

I think I did find a bug though...when you enter onto I-87 for example and the drive is over 100KM, it only reads the first two digits. For example, if I need to drive 152KM on the highway, it says "drive for 15KM".
If in the US, did you try converting km to miles?
Oct 25, 2004
482 posts
40 upvotes
sfrancis wrote: Unfortunate it does not work. The battery pack comes with Ipod only hold 2 AAA battery, which does not have enough voltage. I would need a 5V device with 4 batteries. This one in Newegg.ca looks good but shipping is twice of the product itself !

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817801012

Product link;

http://www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/660
Try this one
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3205
$9.77 US but with free shipping. Expect about a month for delivery tough. It comes direct from Hong Kong.
Just saw it's backordered. You might want to try another model. They carry several. This one was interesting because it charges both ways.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3190 posts
30 upvotes
While I could get GPS signal with ease (instantly) while using IGO8, Garmin Mobile XT takes a LOT of time to lock down with a satellite.

Garmin Mobile XT says "Awaiting Better GPS Accuracy" for a LONG time before getting partial signal.

I don't have this problem with IGO8 and the default software in the device. What could be the reason?

Any ideas?
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)
Mar 7, 2009
82 posts
11 upvotes
Fredericton
dinesh_zee wrote: While I could get GPS signal with ease (instantly) while using IGO8, Garmin Mobile XT takes a LOT of time to lock down with a satellite.

Garmin Mobile XT says "Awaiting Better GPS Accuracy" for a LONG time before getting partial signal.

I don't have this problem with IGO8 and the default software in the device. What could be the reason?

Any ideas?

Garmin sucks on the Curtis.
Put it in sleep mode then bring it back out of sleep mode.
It loses the gps altogether, you have to go into the options and disable, re-enable it or exit and restart the software.
Sorry to say but it is not worth running on the Curtis unit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)