• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 1:07 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
42 upvotes
thornhill

customer service ambassador bombardier go train

I got called in for a "information session" for this position. Anyone went through this? What should I expect?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20532 posts
5989 upvotes
GTA
Its customer service, you patrol the train, answer questions. I got an interview call too but I found a job already. Was this posting from a few months ago?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
Does that position have the uniform with the hat and everything? Or is that only for the "ticket collectors" (the ones that verify proof of payment), or is this in fact the same job?
[OP]
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
42 upvotes
thornhill
its the folks on the train who open/closes the doors of the train, make announcements etc... I hear after a little bit you can be promoted to train conductor/engineer.

I imagine the interview would focus around customer service skills/safety.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
4347 posts
1256 upvotes
GTA
I went through it about 5 - 7 years ago, I was in a room with a bunch of other applicants, different people from different areas of the company come to talk about the position.

There was some group work and some group questions, lots of engineers and people with railway experience from places like Cn in the room likely due to the available promotional opportunities.
Jan 23, 2018
1 posts
I also got a call and email for this information session. Mine is actually tomorrow but I have decided not to attend.
After doing some further research on the position I discovered that Bombardier will not be operating GO Trains after their contract expires with Metrolinx in 2023.
This basically means that Bombardier Train Operators and Customer Service Ambassadors will be out of a job in 5 years.
You may want to take this into consideration if determining a career choice here.
Heres a link to the story: http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/07/21/m ... go-trains/
Dec 6, 2010
293 posts
69 upvotes
chrisjacksonnnn wrote: I also got a call and email for this information session. Mine is actually tomorrow but I have decided not to attend.
After doing some further research on the position I discovered that Bombardier will not be operating GO Trains after their contract expires with Metrolinx in 2023.
This basically means that Bombardier Train Operators and Customer Service Ambassadors will be out of a job in 5 years.
You may want to take this into consideration if determining a career choice here.
Heres a link to the story: http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/07/21/m ... go-trains/
You are right to take this info into consideration and to be cautious. First, working in rail operations is not an easy job. There is big difference between light rail and heavy rail operations.
Heavy rail being more dangerous due to the size, power, greater speeds, loads of the trains. Second, Bombardier is showing itself to be a problematic company (both air and rail divisions). That said, in the article you quoted the following doesn't make sense to me:

" However, Aikins said the winning bidder wouldn’t be precluded from using the services of Bombardier and the other two companies to operate and maintain the trains."

How does this make sense??

Also, why aren't CN or CP (or maybe even VIA Rail which has expertise in passenger rail service since the late '70s) operating GO trains to begin with? Many of the tracks GO uses were once, or are currently, owned by these rail companies. For example the Milton line is owned by CP Rail. And CN is regarded as the best Class 1 railway in North America with decades of experience.
And finally, why doesn't Metrolinx just establish its own in-house train operations division so they don't have to contract out?

If Bombardier does not get to operate the trains after 2023, I would think a fair number of their current employees would get re-hired by whomever wins the contract. But I could be wrong on that.

If there are any Bombardier-GO Train operators/CSA on here I'd be curious to hear about how you find the job and if you recommend it to prospective applicants..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5676 posts
1228 upvotes
This_is_your_Captain wrote: You are right to take this info into consideration and to be cautious. First, working in rail operations is not an easy job. There is big difference between light rail and heavy rail operations.
Heavy rail being more dangerous due to the size, power, greater speeds, loads of the trains. Second, Bombardier is showing itself to be a problematic company (both air and rail divisions). That said, in the article you quoted the following doesn't make sense to me:

" However, Aikins said the winning bidder wouldn’t be precluded from using the services of Bombardier and the other two companies to operate and maintain the trains."

How does this make sense??

Also, why aren't CN or CP (or maybe even VIA Rail which has expertise in passenger rail service since the late '70s) operating GO trains to begin with? Many of the tracks GO uses were once, or are currently, owned by these rail companies. For example the Milton line is owned by CP Rail. And CN is regarded as the best Class 1 railway in North America with decades of experience.
And finally, why doesn't Metrolinx just establish its own in-house train operations division so they don't have to contract out?

If Bombardier does not get to operate the trains after 2023, I would think a fair number of their current employees would get re-hired by whomever wins the contract. But I could be wrong on that.

If there are any Bombardier-GO Train operators/CSA on here I'd be curious to hear about how you find the job and if you recommend it to prospective applicants..
I'm pretty sure CN did run the trains until a few years ago.

I think the contract comes up for tender every 5-10 years and the winner cycles to low bid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)