Shopping Discussion

Customer started yelling & calling me an idiot repeatadly - what would you do?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2015 6:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
239 upvotes
Markham

Customer started yelling & calling me an idiot repeatadly - what would you do?

So today I had to deliver a parcel that was labelled "return to sender" but no reason specified. I delivered it to the address. About an hour later, the home owner found me on the route, and started yelling at me.

Customer: "WHY DID YOU BRING THIS TO ME? ARE YOU STUPID? DONT YOU SEE I AM THE ONE WHO SENT IT??
Me: I did see that but there was a mark through it and it was labelled return to sender. I apologize for the inconvenience but it's in your best interest to call the company (it was a store purchase) and ask them why they are sending it back to you.
Customer: I CALLED YOUR COMPANY AND THEY TOLD ME THEY DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AND IT WAS THE DELIVERY PERSON DECISION SO TELL ME WHY ARE YOU STUPID AND DONT READ?
Me: Again Ma'am, as I sai.. (interupted)
Customer: No ARE YOU STUPID AND YOU CANT READ? WHY DIDNT YOU SEND IT WHERE IT GOES, WHY DO YOU KEEP GIVING BACK TO ME? YOURE AN IDIOT HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE A JOB
Me: Ma'am, I (Interupted again)
Customer: NO YOURE STUPID HOW DO YOU DO THIS JOB YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING WHY YOU AN IDIOT FOR IT SAYS SENDER HERE I AM SENDER

I just pointed at the 1-800 number on the truck & in an agressive/loud tone I said "call them up for an explanation, if you follow me i'll call the police, now leave me alone" & I walked away.

I got back to my station & the supervisor gave me ***** for being rude to a customer. They said that they got a complain that I yelled & screamed at someone and then walked away.

In my *opinion*, the problem with the package had to do with the label. I suspect that they printed out the wrong label, because to me, at a quick look, the item label just didn't look right. I assume it got to where it was going, didn't scan properly, and was sent back. BUT I can't tell them that, because again, it's just my assumption, and opinion.

So curious, what would you do in the situation?

FYI, I have cut them off from future service due to harassment. Their deliveries will be held until an investigation has taken place, which could be 2-3 weeks.
Be Happy
44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5953 posts
4015 upvotes
beachdude wrote: I just pointed at the 1-800 number on the truck & in an agressive/loud tone I said "call them up for an explanation, if you follow me i'll call the police, now leave me alone" & I walked away.

I got back to my station & the supervisor gave me ***** for being rude to a customer. They said that they got a complain that I yelled & screamed at someone and then walked away.
How do customer complaints reach to your station so quickly? Is Canada Post's 1-800~ customer service that efficient?
Nov 21, 2012
353 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Find who he is, find where he works. Get him fired! Duh!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
239 upvotes
Markham
hvwozq wrote: How do customer complaints reach to your station so quickly? Is Canada Post's 1-800~ customer service that efficient?
From my understanding it depends on the type of complaint. A complaint with an employee is usually pressed faster to the station so it can be taken care of and handled. If it's a general mail inquiry like "Where's my parcel?" that's usually 24-48 hours response.
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1520 posts
1689 upvotes
I feel for you. That person was a psycho.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5108 posts
971 upvotes
T.
Your union will protect you....lol.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
Meh ***** happens. I would just brush it off and not push it any further. Don't underestimate the power of an angry customer! I have lost my job due to customer who have disrespected me and I retaliated. I've learned it's not worth it.
Aug 20, 2010
287 posts
76 upvotes
Strange idea:

If you're constantly encountering problems on your routes, since you've posted about problems before with people not accepting deliveries despite being home and then complaining you never made any attempt, several "he said, she said" situations where it's your word vs. aggressive and abusive customers.. why not find out if it's legal/OK with CP and/or the union to pay for and wear your own lapel camera?

I know it sounds weird and extreme, just that if I were in your shoes, busting my butt to do my job and then having people make frivolous complaints and outright lying, I'd spring for the piece of mind of having a camera recording to keep the peace and keep everyone cool and respectful in encounters and problems and have proof that I am doing my job competently.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4538 posts
1093 upvotes
Richmond
lol given his luck , the idiot will go why you record me! you invaded my privacy! !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
i was going to say this sounded familiar..

pretty frequent problems, and both times you get repremanded? hm
May 5, 2015
445 posts
424 upvotes
GVA
Glad you stayed as calm as you you did. Pretty sure I could not have...

Next time I suggest you pull out your phone and start recording. It may aggravate them a bit, but if the person you are dealing with has half a brain, they would understand that the recording will hold them liable for what they say and do to you. Along with covering your rear end.

Then a year later when everyone forgets about everything go smash every window at her house. Yup the person you were dealing with is not too much on the BrightSide -JK JK-
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Agree with pulling out your phone and recording them. You don't necessarily have to video them, but just get the audio. That way, you don't need to have the phone in their face.

There was another thread awhile back that was similar. The dude (audio) recorded the loser customer.

For kicks, you can turd in a box and leave it on their doorstep. Just make up a fake delivery company logo and slap it on the package :D .
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3185 posts
2850 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
beachdude wrote: So today I had to deliver a parcel that was labelled "return to sender" but no reason specified. I delivered it to the address. About an hour later, the home owner found me on the route, and started yelling at me.
Hmm...I detect a pattern here. Based on your earlier interaction with a customer, I'm thinking it may not be as one sided as you've described here. Having said that, staying calm is the correct course of action, but "if you follow me I'll call the police" and walking away was not the best way to handle the situation. I can think of a couple of ways to do it, but last time you made it obvious that you don't like de-escalation methods.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2488 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
I think OP needs to find another job, important rules of customer interaction is not to take morons seriously, nor their comments personally

i don't think you have the stomach for this OP if you're always posting here for e-Hugs
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4538 posts
1093 upvotes
Richmond
he got mad at this "an agressive/loud tone". Should have just kept to the original tone. If he follows you, drive back to your station and let him try to yell at you in front of your boss. Should have just done that lol. If he gets mad and continues yelling, then he's yelling at the entire department and at your superiors as well. And if he tries to file a complaint then, he will be ignored because he's yelling at everyone at the station. Next time let him follow you to the station and yell. ;) He'll probably get arrested for public disturbance and pissing everyone off there as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
medalgo wrote: I think OP needs to find another job, important rules of customer interaction is not to take morons seriously, nor their comments personally

i don't think you have the stomach for this OP if you're always posting here for e-Hugs
lol you think op will give up a canada post job? nope.

http://www.cupw.ca/ - nobody leaves a unionized environment that deals with government services.... its too cushy of a setup.
Feb 5, 2013
171 posts
40 upvotes
I'm sorry that so many people are blaming you for a *****ty customer's tantrum. Everyone knows that working with the public is complete balls. My sympathies.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
When someone complains, it's important that they feel someone is listening and that they are acknowledged. When they don't get that, it causes anger. Being heard is sometimes more important than actually getting a resolution to the problem.

Way to go, dizzup! ^
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Of course it's a typical psycho customer who is aging the victim after the fact. They just don't understand how the mail system works and you aren't the person to talk to regarding the return.

I think you should have just stopped, given him a blank stare and drove away. I know its a little more rude up front but it would have worked better in this situation.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)