Entrepreneurship & Small Business

For customers shipping to me, can I use my business name?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 9:57 am
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

For customers shipping to me, can I use my business name?

Just curious as I have a repair request coming from the USA for the first time (everyone is local that I've dealt with for the most part).

Wondering if I need to give my real name or can I use my business name and address (it's a home business).

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
of course you can, as long as the customer is shipping you something related to your business activity
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Ok I didn't know.

They're sending me a Nintendo Switch which needs an chip replaced. Since my business is repairing video game consoles and other electronics, They can do it as (business name) then the rest of my address and that's it?

What happens if it gets sent to the post office if I'm @ work and not here to accept it? They always ask for ID when this happens to me with packages with my name on it so was just curious.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
your address will match, no? you can give this as the shipping address to your customer:

To: Frank Wong C/O nintendo repair systems incorporated
123 Anystreet
Toronto, ON, P0ST4L
Canada

and if you have a hard time to pick it up from the post office why not simply give a business card or any business document confirming the business name and address to the post office? If your a legit business you should have something like that, no?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
just a word of advice, i send packages to businesses all the time, but many offices have like 1000's of employees there so to make sure the package goes to the correct person, its always advised to put the persons name on the label. otherwise it may not get to him or her
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2032 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
Be sure they put your name on the shipping address. If god forbid you are not home when they attempt to deliver, picking up a package from depot can be frustrating if it does not have your name on. Business name don't mean anything to them. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
slavka012 wrote: Be sure they put your name on the shipping address. If god forbid you are not home when they attempt to deliver, picking up a package from depot can be frustrating if it does not have your name on. Business name don't mean anything to them. :)
+1

Put your full name on the address. Sometime I use "Chipfixer John Modder" as company name when I know Canada Post is delivering something to the office. One time I forgot to put my name and had to go back and bring vendors permit to shoppers to pick up my package.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
peteryorkuca wrote: +1

Put your full name on the address. Sometime I use "Chipfixer John Modder" as company name when I know Canada Post is delivering something to the office. One time I forgot to put my name and had to go back and bring vendors permit to shoppers to pick up my package.
This is where my concern was, guess I'll just use my full name.