Shopping Discussion

Customs Fees On Free Replacement

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 8:17 am
Sep 21, 2020
1 posts

Customs Fees On Free Replacement

Hi there! I'm so sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm a little new but I have no idea where to go or who to ask for advice in this situation.

Recently, I bought a jacket from an indie clothing store for around $100CAD and I paid for USPS shipping. The item got here fine, I didn't pay any fees on it - however, the item itself was damaged. I talked to the seller who was incredibly gracious and immediately shipped out a replacement free of charge for me. However, they used UPS for this and now I'm getting a $50 import/brokerage fee coming up. The package is set to come tomorrow and I don't know what I should do in response? I technically did not pay for this second package and if I have to pay $50, I'd rather just not accept it, somehow, if possible.

Thank you so much for reading, all advice is appreciated!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cobbleflinch wrote: Hi there! I'm so sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm a little new but I have no idea where to go or who to ask for advice in this situation.

Recently, I bought a jacket from an indie clothing store for around $100CAD and I paid for USPS shipping. The item got here fine, I didn't pay any fees on it - however, the item itself was damaged. I talked to the seller who was incredibly gracious and immediately shipped out a replacement free of charge for me. However, they used UPS for this and now I'm getting a $50 import/brokerage fee coming up. The package is set to come tomorrow and I don't know what I should do in response? I technically did not pay for this second package and if I have to pay $50, I'd rather just not accept it, somehow, if possible.

Thank you so much for reading, all advice is appreciated!
I have been through this before with USPS / Canada Post, and I was able to get the money back.

The fact that it's UPS complicates things. You need to contact UPS immediately and explain the situation. Have your documentation ready. UPS has changed things now so that they deliver first, and send you a bill in the mail later on. So you need to 'intercept' this process as early as possible to get things fixed.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya should have contacted Canada Customs / CBSA ... BEFORE you got the replacement shipped
So you’d have the correct paperwork in place to either waive the Duty & Taxes on the second shipment
Or to have filled out a Goods Returned Form

Now your choices are gonna be more limited
And you’ll be out of pocket for 2x the Duty & Taxes upfront
And need to file for a REFUND from CBSA
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/cour ... o-eng.html

Here’s a decent explanation of how it works
https://www.pcb.ca/post/returning-onlin ... -cbsa-9954
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
contact the seller they need to contact the ups brokerage dept to update the customs paper work to have it declared a free warranty replacement there are no fees then.

when the ups driver comes just tell him to hold the package at the ups depot till the seller can get the fees resolved. do not pay the fees up front its a lot more hassle to get them back if u do.

your other option is to call ups and tell them u wish to self clear the package. ups will email the paper work to u then u have to take it into to your local customs office and show them the details that it was a free replacement. the customs office will give u some paper work back showing that u cleared it then u email that back to ups and they will release the package to u.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
PointsHubby wrote: Ya should have contacted Canada Customs / CBSA ... BEFORE you got the replacement shipped
So you’d have the correct paperwork in place to either waive the Duty & Taxes on the second shipment
Or to have filled out a Goods Returned Form
I have done the B2G before. But how do you avoid the UPS brokerage charges?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: I have done the B2G before. But how do you avoid the UPS brokerage charges?
The only certain way to avoid UPS brokerage charges is to ask the seller to send the item by USPS. If that is not possible, find another seller.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aaron158 wrote: contact the seller they need to contact the ups brokerage dept to update the customs paper work to have it declared a free warranty replacement there are no fees then.

when the ups driver comes just tell him to hold the package at the ups depot till the seller can get the fees resolved. do not pay the fees up front its a lot more hassle to get them back if u do.
+1

I suspect the seller chose UPS because it's faster and more expensive than USPS, and they wanted to resolve the issue ASAP. Contacting the seller also has the "pay it forward" advantage that hopefully they'll learn something new about how best to send stuff to their northern neighbours.
your other option is to call ups and tell them u wish to self clear the package. ups will email the paper work to u then u have to take it into to your local customs office and show them the details that it was a free replacement. the customs office will give u some paper work back showing that u cleared it then u email that back to ups and they will release the package to u.
The problem with this option is that the original item arrived by mail without any duty/taxes charged. So there is no paperwork. That could complicate the argument that you already paid for the original item. Further issues could be that the "local" customs office may not be convenient and/or pandemic-related restrictions.

If it was me, I'd push the first option hard before considering the second.
veni, vidi, Visa