Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville

Cut off time for Amazon prime?

I placed an order on Tuesday at 10pm. The guaranteed delivery date they gave me is Friday. Shouldn't the guaranteed delivery time be Thursday? I didn't see anywhere on their website anything about placing your orders before a certain time.

Tuesday is Tuesday, and delivery on Friday means 3 days, not 2 days as guaranteed with Prime.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5694 posts
7123 upvotes
Lots of people have confusion about the delivery time. Delivery time is the time starting from leaving the warehouse (not when you place your order) until arriving your destination. Normally Amazon needs 1 day to process your order. Thus in order to fulfill your order, Amazon needs processing time + Delivery time. However, there is no guarantee how much time Amazon needs to process your order. Nonetheless, prime order has the highest priority, so the processing time usually is very short and at most 1 day as long as the product is "in stock"

Anyways, if your product is not getting within 2 days, you can complain it and they normally either give you credit or extend the prime membership.

btw, there is a cutoff time for same date shipping on each product. I guess the cutoff time is the same for other types of shipping

TagYoureIt wrote: I placed an order on Tuesday at 10pm. The guaranteed delivery date they gave me is Friday. Shouldn't the guaranteed delivery time be Thursday? I didn't see anywhere on their website anything about placing your orders before a certain time.

Tuesday is Tuesday, and delivery on Friday means 3 days, not 2 days as guaranteed with Prime.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Usually 1 day to process and 2 day to ship.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
There's a cutoff time of usually Noon.
If it's before then, they'll get it out the door on Tuesday for Thursday.
If it's after, it's already "next day" of Wednesday to Friday.

It's clearly listed on the checkout page (and some product pages) as to when processing will happen.
"Order within the next X minutes for delivery today/tomorrow/2day"

10PM is WAY beyond the cutoff time. There's not a chance anyone is still even working that late, let alone processing orders.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5651 posts
3568 upvotes
Depends on the item, but the latest time is around 3pm I think.
lcmt wrote: Lots of people have confusion about the delivery time. Delivery time is the time starting from leaving the warehouse (not when you place your order) until arriving your destination. Normally Amazon needs 1 day to process your order. Thus in order to fulfill your order, Amazon needs processing time + Delivery time. However, there is no guarantee how much time Amazon needs to process your order. Nonetheless, prime order has the highest priority, so the processing time usually is very short and at most 1 day as long as the product is "in stock"
For Amazon, 2-day shipping means it will arrive in 2 days provided that you make the order before the cut-off time.
Make an order Tuesday morning. Your guaranteed delivery date will be Thursday for 2-day shipping, and Wednesday for One-day shipping.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Depends on the item, but the latest time is around 3pm I think.
It also depends on the warehouse, the local time of the warehouse, the shipping speed, etc.
Same day has an earlier cutoff than 2 day and Ontario has a closer cutoff than Vancouver.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
Thanks for the responses. I assumed if you place the order before midnight, it would go through, especially if it's locally shipped.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2831 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
TagYoureIt wrote: Thanks for the responses. I assumed if you place the order before midnight, it would go through, especially if it's locally shipped.
Yeah...I'm thinking it's unreasonable to expect an order submitted in the late evening (and if you're on the west coast, it could be early morning on the east) to be processed that same day. :) While Amazon may be a 24hr operation in their warehouses, the late hours are likely spent working on those orders submitted earlier in the day. Now, if you submit your order at 3:00am in the west, it's already 6:00am in the east, so there's an early start for ye! :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
ALLCAPS wrote: Yeah...I'm thinking it's unreasonable to expect an order submitted in the late evening (and if you're on the west coast, it could be early morning on the east) to be processed that same day. :) While Amazon may be a 24hr operation in their warehouses, the late hours are likely spent working on those orders submitted earlier in the day. Now, if you submit your order at 3:00am in the west, it's already 6:00am in the east, so there's an early start for ye! :)
I sort of looked at it like Wednesday Morning they would see it & say "well, he's a prime customer and he ordered it last night, so we should ship it today because he did pay for the 2 day shipping"

Eitherway, i'll contact amazon, and they'll give me a month free of prime. Technically they're still in the wrong, in my opinion. 2 day shipping is 2 day shipping, regardless of time. if not, they should say "Prime means 2 day shipping before the cut off time of 10pm!" but that doesn't sound so good.