• Jul 18th, 2020 10:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4516 posts
4930 upvotes

Cut the seafoam crap.

FINALLY - someone (albeit an annoying someone) explained Seafood better than I ever have.

Anyone who pushes this Seafoam crap is...well...an idiot.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6570 posts
4101 upvotes
Toronto
My head is dizzy. Forgot to turn audio only.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14952 posts
11399 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Does this stuff work?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 1, 2009
261 posts
239 upvotes
I trust my own eyes than Scotty. I've seen first hand using a borescope to look at the top of the piston before and after using seafoam. There's noticeable difference on the carbon build up.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2532 posts
1447 upvotes
Ontario
I think Scotty has ADD...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3672 posts
5565 upvotes
I use CRC Intake Valve cleaner sprayed directly into the throttle body once per year on my 2014 Hyundai Veloster weaksauce non-turbo GDI engine. This Hyundai engine is knows to be an older crappy GDI that carbons up bad... It contains PEA which works when used correctly.

Any fuel additive won't do jack on a GDI engine as it's direct injection and won't spray the back of the injectors. Port injected is different, but gas already has enough additives so will do a good job cleaning the injectors by itself.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8569 posts
5396 upvotes
Vancouver
All I know is when I had a carbureted motorcycle, every spring it would struggle to get warm even on full choke. Run seafoam through it and it worked wonders.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37412 posts
23485 upvotes
Center of Universe
Scotty is my #1 not trusted backyard mechanic.
May 12, 2019
438 posts
552 upvotes
1) Scotty is so annoying I swear to god I would love to sock him in the face to let him never yell again

2) Seafoam fouled my plugs and caused a misfire for me
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19184 posts
22074 upvotes
GTA
Scotty has at least 4 videos ranting at seafoam.
Quoting Scotty is like quoting Trump on epidemiology. Better to find a respected source.

It would not surprise me at all if Scotty believed the earth read flat or that injecting bleach would cure COVID19.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6334 posts
972 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Scott is a rantly old coot who lives in Texas. Credibility shot.
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2458 posts
3260 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Scotty and Doug Demuro need to fight to the death with both of them dying at the end.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1515 posts
1092 upvotes
Scotty has over one billion views, and while he has a style that can be annoying, a lot of what he says is worth hearing. He is also extremely wealthy now from you-tube.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16512 posts
5025 upvotes
Toronto
Seafoam for fuel cleaner is probably not the best thing. I have put 1/3 of a bottle of Seafoam in my engine crankcase and it removed the valve tick noise and made the engine feel smoother. I use synthetic oil from day 1 with 8K oil changes and the engine oil filler area appeared pretty clean and was surprised by the difference from adding seafoam! My approach is to get an oil change, add 1/3 of a bottle and monitor the oil for colour. When it gets dark, just change the oil. This way the new filter can trap any junk in the oil that the seafoam liquifies.
Jan 8, 2015
426 posts
365 upvotes
Mississauga
Used seafoam through the throttle body to help clean my valves and it fixed my misfires as a temp solution until I get them walnut blasted. No comment as a fuel additive though.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11428 posts
3800 upvotes
Winnipeg
to say seafoam doesn't clean is ridiculous heck air lines buys cases of it for a reason its Naphtha. Myself I never used it on an automobile with fuel injectors directly other than just as gas treamtment or with/just stabil for long storage periods to prevent foul gas moisture.

Mostly for auto? I would only use pea stuff too due to injectors.

But i have recovered with out carb rebuild a few chainsaws/trimmers lawnmowers and old outboards with just seafoam.....and time. Let it sit and break down the build up. If then no go....I'll start rebuilding.

But I always take the path of least resistance first. The biggest problem with smaller engines like mentioned....bad gas,bad mix and carbon build up and poor air/fuel lines/filters/clogged mufflers that were never maintained.

Pick the tool or product for the job. He's not wrong pea works for autos best. But the op's title is misleading that seafoam is crap? it does work for its intended use but its not for injectors pea is.

That said how much pea would be needed?, for how long? how quickly can it work?and how expensive is high concentrate pea? Isn't chevron tech like 50 bucks a bottle? Plus pea is mostly an additive in gas already.

Sometimes there is no magic pill that fixes everything. Somethings are just broke!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4428 posts
4343 upvotes
Richmond Hill
multimut wrote: Scotty has over one billion views, and while he has a style that can be annoying, a lot of what he says is worth hearing. He is also extremely wealthy now from you-tube.
Yes, but i find his style is very annoying.
Plus, he is always like any MB/BMW/Audi, or luxury brand are just pcs of junk money pit.
Only thing that worth buying is good old Toyota.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
May 12, 2019
438 posts
552 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Yes, but i find his style is very annoying.
Plus, he is always like any MB/BMW/Audi, or luxury brand are just pcs of junk money pit.
Only thing that worth buying is good old Toyota.
Good old Toyota? More like shitty old and slow 90's celica that he thinks is the best and fastest sports car ever. Its still got a distributor for ****'s sake.