• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2021 10:32 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
369 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto

Cutting Baseboard

I am not someone who has skills and expertise of doing day-to-day household stuff. I am learning every single day and taking different challenges. But every now and then i need some help and guidance and this is one of those days.

I have a den which i want to convert to my small office. The problem is that i can't find a chest + my office table there side by side due to baseboard. So i want to cut baseboard from certain places (where table's leg going to be) to make room. The question is how to. I live in a condo and due to small space, i don't have tools. Actually i don't even know what tools i need. Where to start and how to start. So any tips/guidance would be appreciated.

Another option that i can do is that i can remove baseboard all together from that side of teh wall. The wall is adjacent to the washroom. though that side of washroom only has towel stand and washbasin (commode is on the other side). If i have to remove baseboard then how to go about.

Any tips, guidance, what tools to use etc would be appreciated. thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1887 posts
1602 upvotes
GTA
So you have a desk with flush legs to the top and you want to remove baseboard to save yourself 3/4" in the room?

Maybe just get a desk with a top that over hangs legs?

I dont really get what you're trying to do, and I feel like it's gonna look ugly, but....

If you want to remove small sections of baseboard you probably want to use a multitool. Or, remove it all and install new ones with clean cuts exactly where you want it.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
369 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: So you have a desk with flush legs to the top and you want to remove baseboard to save yourself 3/4" in the room?

Maybe just get a desk with a top that over hangs legs?

I dont really get what you're trying to do, and I feel like it's gonna look ugly, but....

If you want to remove small sections of baseboard you probably want to use a multitool. Or, remove it all and install new ones with clean cuts exactly where you want it.
Desk is not the only thing. I have desk + a chest/cupboard (whatever you want to call it). The chest is like a rectangle box with no legs. so its taking 3/4" from left side of the wall. I am trying to place table on right side which is taking another 3/4 from right side. I like the idea of removing the baseboard altogether but i don't know how to. thats why i made this post.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1887 posts
1602 upvotes
GTA
hyph3n wrote: Desk is not the only thing. I have desk + a chest/cupboard (whatever you want to call it). The chest is like a rectangle box with no legs. so its taking 3/4" from left side of the wall. I am trying to place table on right side which is taking another 3/4 from right side. I like the idea of removing the baseboard altogether but i don't know how to. thats why i made this post.
As per my last post, to remove a section and make a nice cut, you'll want a multi tool.

To remove the whole thing a small prybar and hammer will do the job. A knife to cut the caulk would be helpful too. If it's really on there put a piece of wood on the wall to spread to force out or pry where a stud is to avoid damaging the wall.

Could probably youtube it to get a better idea.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3294 posts
2044 upvotes
Mississauga
A multi/oscillating tool is what you need. However I would ask you to reconsider. Unless your chest and desk are going to be installed forever in that place, it is going to look ugly. When you cut the baseboard out, the gap between drywall and floor will be visible.

An easier good looking solution is to take out the entire baseboard from that wall. Then out chest/shelf and desk in place. Then install baseboard around these as if the chest and desk are built in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)