Food & Drink

Cutting boards.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2023 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4918 posts
3117 upvotes
Milton, ON.

Cutting boards.

What do you guys use? I have an itch for something new for my kitchen. Currently I have oxo plastic boards in rotation.
24 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11378 posts
2325 upvotes
I have a mix of wood and plastic.

2 wood ones and 2 plastic ones
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7681 posts
2921 upvotes
I have about 10 wood ones in a stack on my counter. All different sizes. Some I use to cut fruit or cake but never onions or garlic. They serve double duty as trivets for hot pans that need to come off the heat quickly.

I miss the product, "Cutting Sheets", one use disposable cutting boards. I had a friend who was very allergic to all nuts and fish. I could cut stuff on these and know it was safe for him.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Different Boards for different uses
Wood - Bamboo - Plastic

PLASTICS
Red = Raw Meats
Blue = Raw Fish
Yellow = Raw Chicken
Black = Cooked Meats … esp for items off the grill (black doesn’t show charcoal marks )
Green = Veggies
Light Blue = Cheese
White = Onions & Garlic
Clear = Citrus & Fruits

Bamboo = used for Bread

Wood … mostly used for presentations …
Like Cheese Boards, Charcuterie, and if we carve a Roast / Turkey

I like the fact that all the plastic ones can go in the DW so they get sanitized
We’ve sourced them from different kitchen / household stores over the years

Like others we do this cuz of folks with allergies
And any sort of flavour / cross contamination

Bonus … cuz each cutting board has a distinct purpose
They wear better / last longer
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11378 posts
2325 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Different Boards for different uses
Wood - Bamboo - Plastic

PLASTICS
Red = Raw Meats
Blue = Raw Fish
Yellow = Raw Chicken
Black = Cooked Meats … esp for items off the grill (black doesn’t show charcoal marks )
Green = Veggies
Light Blue = Cheese
White = Onions & Garlic
Clear = Citrus & Fruits

Bamboo = used for Bread

Wood … mostly used for presentations …
Like Cheese Boards, Charcuterie, and if we carve a Roast / Turkey

I like the fact that all the plastic ones can go in the DW so they get sanitized
We’ve sourced them from different kitchen / household stores over the years

Like others we do this cuz of folks with allergies
And any sort of flavour / cross contamination

Bonus … cuz each cutting board has a distinct purpose
They wear better / last longer
Do you use cleaver? I have a super sharp cleaver and I started to find that it was sort of chipping away at my plastic ones; like scoring it and as I scored it some pieces came off. Where for wood I don't see it. So I use wood for meats now when I have to use something like a cleaver for chopping or even cutting; not some crazy mincing etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
speedyforme wrote: Do you use cleaver? I have a super sharp cleaver and I started to find that it was sort of chipping away at my plastic ones; like scoring it and as I scored it some pieces came off. Where for wood I don't see it. So I use wood for meats now when I have to use something like a cleaver for chopping or even cutting; not some crazy mincing etc.
Don’t use a cleaver much
Mostly a chefs knife

The one board that’s the worse for wear is the black one (Cooked Meats )
It indeed has some well worn grooves from hacking apart things cooked on the Q

But hey … plastic = cheap to replace
So at some point I’ll do that

Truth … I moved to colour coded plastic after attending a cooking school course
It’s been a good move
Cuz I feel things are more sanitary
And wood boards cost a fortune to replace
And are difficult to clean / maintain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9276 posts
5103 upvotes
I am in the market for one and am holding out for a maple one. Maple is a bit more expensive than some of the others but I am using one right now and I really like it. RCSS had a maple one in their 3-week Christmas flyer but the stock never made it to my local store. I was totally disappointed.
Newbie
User avatar
May 23, 2022
49 posts
42 upvotes
Scarborough
I use 2 plastic ones different sizes. I find wooden boards dull my knives faster than the plastic ones, even though they look prettier.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29362 posts
14858 upvotes
So @PointsHubby covered colors (to a higher degree than some restaurants lol) but so far no one has mentioned size.

I personally use 13x18 boards because they're about as big as you can reasonably get into a dishwasher on the bottom rack. Plus if you have half sheets and cooling racks, one on top of this provides a great surface for carving meats. The tray catches juices.
I also keep an 18x26 board around for when I have a lot of work to do like holiday chopping.
With being a size snob said, I do keep like a couple 6x8 boards around for a fast job like a quick cheese cut for a snack but I would never do any "real" work on them. I love my real estate.

Also all mine are plastic because they're dishwasher safe.
I'd love a butcher block one day but I don't have the square footage. Maybe if I move back into a house. Also if I win the lottery because those aren't cheap.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 7, 2007
1337 posts
262 upvotes
Various sizes of Epicurean. Lightweight, dishwasher safe, grippy on counter (if you get the models with rubber corners), low maintenance. I have a large wooden board as well, but it isn’t used nearly as often.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1525 posts
1069 upvotes
Ripley
I don't own one. I've always just cut stuff on a corelle plate. Big pieces of meat are cut on a corelle platter.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
zeddy wrote: I don't own one. I've always just cut stuff on a corelle plate. Big pieces of meat are cut on a corelle platter.
Downside to cutting on a plate or platter is the finish is relatively fragile
Over time it will graze, scratch, or crack
And we’ll generally speaking plates are harder & more expensive to replace
If you can find a matching one at all
Than the odd cutting board
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
I've got a large birch board I keep on the counter for all veggies, cheese, bread. Its huge, 24x18x1.5" thick. I use it multiple times a day. If I'm making sandwiches its always on the board not the countertop, its basically my work station.
I have a large bamboo I use for cooked meats and 2 thick plastic that I use for raw meats that get washed in the dishwasher.
Last edited by Keelie on Jan 18th, 2023 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1525 posts
1069 upvotes
Ripley
PointsHubby wrote: Downside to cutting on a plate or platter is the finish is relatively fragile
Over time it will graze, scratch, or crack
And we’ll generally speaking plates are harder & more expensive to replace
If you can find a matching one at all
Than the odd cutting board
Some of my Corelle plates are 40 years old. Circa 1978 gold flowers. So far so good.

I get my mother's hand me downs so I have 4 mixed sets. I've never bought or owned new dishes.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12403 posts
7541 upvotes
14" x 20" maple https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000CFKMH/

Bought this for $45 6 years ago & still going strong.

I found plastic was dulling knives faster. I also don't like how you end up with hacked out grooves & potential plastic shavings when chopping on plastic.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13428 posts
7683 upvotes
Ya we got a variety of plastics, and wood ones.

We have 2 which we primarily use for meat, and the rest are for anything.
Images
  • IMG_20230117_071915.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Gutty96 wrote: Ya we got a variety of plastics, and wood ones.

We have 2 which we primarily use for meat, and the rest are for anything.
Oooh, nice pull out in your kitchen cupboards
Def gonna make a spot for Cutting Boards when we get a new kitchen
For now
They just live in a wooden “chicken & egg” crate
https://www.jysk.ca/taastrup-wood-crate ... -14-5.html
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
My main cutting board which has been with me for 20 years is a very solid heavy wood board, 16x13 and a thick 1.5 inches.
Then I have a smaller and much lighter wood one and a small plastic sheet one for lesser jobs.

When we moved last year, I was heartbroken when I thought I lost my main wood board in the move and realized new ones of similar quality can be 200 friggin’ bucks! Happily, I finally found it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)