• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2019 4:42 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto

Cutting a circular hole in laminate flooring across 2 planks

I have to cut a 2 1/2" hole into laminate flooring across two planks. What tool should I use that will not destroy the boards? Tried the google but couldn't find much.

EDIT: These planks are not installed, I'm cutting a hole for a drain.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
21 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote: I have to cut a 2 1/2" hole into laminate flooring across two planks. What tool should I use that will not destroy the boards? Tried the google but couldn't find much.
The key is to prevent the pieces from moving and then hole saw with fine teeth.

So clamps a lot of clamps

Alternative option is like a band saw going real slow and then sanding it to smooth it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: The key is to prevent the pieces from moving and then hole saw with fine teeth.

So clamps a lot of clamps

Alternative option is like a band saw going real slow and then sanding it to smooth it.
I thought of this, I don't have a 2 1/2 so I would have to buy it. I really didn't want to buy anything just for this one hole. lol

What do you think about a jig and sanding?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote: I thought of this, I don't have a 2 1/2 so I would have to buy it. I really didn't want to buy anything just for this one hole. lol

What do you think about a jig and sanding?
Ive never had a steady enough hand for a jigsaw And fine work. Lol
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Ive never had a steady enough hand for a jigsaw. Lol
I'm doing this obviously on test planks, but will test it and let you know.

:thumbsup:
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Oct 25, 2014
165 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
if you dont' want to buy a hole saw just for that, trace the line and cut it with a bandsaw? (or a jigsaw if you don't have a bandsaw, or a a handsaw if you have neither)

Should be fairly easy if the plank are not installed yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
You don't need it very clean, right? Like a vanity sink or something will go on top?

Oscillating multi-tool would be good for fine work like this and you can use it for many other things around the house. Because there's no sawing motion like with a jigsaw or other saws, you can even just hand hold the board with one hand and the tool in the other. The oscillating motion won't rip/tear the laminate like other saws.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: You don't need it very clean, right? Like a vanity sink or something will go on top?

Oscillating multi-tool would be good for fine work like this and you can use it for many other things around the house. Because there's no sawing motion like with a jigsaw or other saws, you can even just hand hold the board with one hand and the tool in the other. The oscillating motion won't rip/tear the laminate like other saws.
Nothing on top. It's for the clean out in the basement, but I'll be cutting a piece to go over it. I would prefer it to be as clean as I can get it. I can touch it up provided the damage isn't too great. The only oscillating tool I have is a dremel. I don't really know if it would be powerful enough to cut through. Will give that a shot too since I have nothing to loose.

It's located in the mechanical room/gym.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Nothing on top. It's for the clean out in the basement, but I'll be cutting a piece to go over it. I would prefer it to be as clean as I can get it. I can touch it up provided the damage isn't too great. The only oscillating tool I have is a dremel. I don't really know if it would be powerful enough to cut through. Will give that a shot too since I have nothing to loose.

It's located in the mechanical room/gym.
For most people a "Dremel" is a rotary tool and that's too small for the job. Just google "oscillating multi tool" to know what I mean. Dremel also makes an oscillating multi tool (they call it a Multi Max), but I'm guessing you mean Dremel's rotary tool.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
you can cut with a jigsaw, just undercut it and then you can either sand it out to the correct diameter or make small additional cuts
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10979 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Sounds like you gotta cough up some dough and get something if you want a clean cut guy!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
you don't have to cut a round hole just because the cleanout is round. You could cut a square out.

Whichever tool you use, put tape over the laminate before you cut, it'll help to minimize chipping
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Whenever I run into a situation like this I buy the right sized hole saw, then I have it for next time. I’m now building my 5”+ collection.

Ask a neighbour... someone will have one. I think I have a 2.5” Forstner bit even.
Sep 25, 2003
284 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Even with a hole saw, the cutter can run on you and cause more damage on the surface if you’re not careful when it starts entering the material.

If you don’t want to spend money on a cutter, I would put some masking tape over your desired cut, draw the circle over the two boards, clamp and just cut it out with a jigsaw or
by hand with a coping saw or keyhole saw.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Laminate flooring can be really hard, that makes it brittle and easy to chip. There are blades that cut on the downstroke made for laminate, that way it doesn't pull up and chip.

You can accomplish the same by flipping the board over....best to use a fine tooth blade made for metal.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Zamboni wrote: Laminate flooring can be really hard, that makes it brittle and easy to chip. There are blades that cut on the downstroke made for laminate, that way it doesn't pull up and chip.

You can accomplish the same by flipping the board over....best to use a fine tooth blade made for metal.
Bosch makes a reverse cut jig saw blade that’s pretty good. Think I’ve seen it at RONA, might be t-shank.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
Score the laminate with a knife before cutting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)