• May 13th, 2019 12:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5676 posts
2501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Cutting drywall nicely and neatly......

I need to cut a hole through drywall to replace an outside wall faucet (for some absurd reason, the supply is shared with the powder room sink) which froze over the winter, and I will need to leave an access hatch.

I'm not good with a drywall saw.

A plumber came over to install a new shower a few months ago and he had this power tool that seemed to use a blade that was not rotary or reciprocal.

Was it an oscillating multi-tool by any chance or is there a better solution?
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
11 replies
Dec 4, 2009
322 posts
201 upvotes
It was an oscillating tool, buy one at CT and make a few practice cuts on a scrap piece in the garage...
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4267 posts
3698 upvotes
Toronto
Pros use a spiral saw as TrevorK said, but an oscillating multitool is just as good for straight lines and you can use it for many, many other tasks (sanding, etc.)
Feb 5, 2019
174 posts
154 upvotes
Likely an oscillating multitool. Makes nice clean cuts in drywall and baseboards. You can usually find Mastercraft branded one in the range of 50-60 or a Dewalt for 80-100 via Amazon.

The blades that come with the dewalt are of much higher quality btw.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1385 posts
1780 upvotes
Get a good oscillating tool. It will do a good job and cutting out drywall but you can use it a a sander, cut trim and baseboards or anything else really.

I have a bosch its one of my most useful tool around the house. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bosch- ... 1001070419

Spend a little more than a black a decker and it will last you a lifetime.
Battery powered is nice for small jobs but for any extensive use (esp sanding) corded is better.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5676 posts
2501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Thanks all. I'll look at getting Dewalt 20v cordess as I already have batteries for it. Does tool-only mean no accessories or everything except battery/charger?

Just to verify that you can set cut depth with this tool? At least I think the one the plumber used (Mlwaukee given colour of the box he had it in) did.

Looking at gong to KMS Tools for one.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
If you use a square or even a ruler if you don't have a square, trace a nice square hole on the wall. Cut it out with a drywall saw nice and neat. Then buy a spring-loaded access hole cover that fits over top the hole. It'll cover up the rough cuts and you won't even need to buy any fancy tools.
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
41 upvotes
Dewalt tools are cheaper at IHL in Vaughan or Mississauga hardware. As for blades for cutting drywall they get work out fast. So you can use the amazon ones for it, and higher quality for wood and other stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2150 upvotes
GTA
thriftshopper wrote: Thanks all. I'll look at getting Dewalt 20v cordess as I already have batteries for it. Does tool-only mean no accessories or everything except battery/charger?

Just to verify that you can set cut depth with this tool? At least I think the one the plumber used (Mlwaukee given colour of the box he had it in) did.
I have the XR brushless Dewalt 20v, its a great tool-used often. Tool-only means no battery/charger, mine had a few blades included. There is a depth stop, basically adjustable rod that clamps onto the tool....never bothered with it.
I also own Dewalt's version of Roto Zip, rarely used since I got the oscillating tool. Far less dust with oscillating tool....what I like is how a straight line can be cut half way across a joist so the repair drywall patch is easy to install. Door jambs when installing flooring are easy to get a great fit....take a scrap piece of flooring/tile, rest the blade on it and cut the jamb perfect height.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
I just run tape around the blade to use as a depth guide. And don't be too worried about perfect cuts, the spring loaded access hatches will cover the cut lines.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4810 posts
1340 upvotes
Who cares how nicely you cut it, as long as it's square. The access cover will hide it forever.

I wouldn't even bother buying a new tool if you can avoid it. Just use a pocket knife (or equilivant). 60 second job.
Let's hug it out