• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 5:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2012
929 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Cutting your own hair

Can someone recommend a hair trimmer on Amazon? I don't want to cut my own hair but it's getting too long for my liking (especially the sides). Will probably have to give myself a buzz cut. Thanks.
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15925 posts
13157 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lol, what you aren’t gonna be part of the latest trend ...
The Covid No Cut

Tell ya it’s a thing
Lots of people gonna have to put off getting a har cut until their Barber / Hair Salon reopens

And ya some brave DIYers
Like yourself

Personally, I’d rather go the wait it out route
Ain’t no one gonna care what you look like when we all can go out again
Cuz everyone’s in the same boat
Got the same look going on

But do a HACK JOB on your hair
Ya people are going to definitely notice that until it grows out
Or you can get it fixed professionally
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6329 posts
1510 upvotes
Richmond Hill
just get something cheap from a known brand like Wahl and has decent reviews.
Oct 6, 2018
70 posts
76 upvotes
Amazon's got 1 month delivery, thats a fail for me. Local inventory is hard to find.
If anyone knows where you can buy one online with reasonable shipping (ie a week) please share!

Or if anyone knows where there is store stock in Greater Vancouver. much appreciated!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9524 posts
3812 upvotes
I have been shaving my head for years, so I am not missing a beat with this lock down of barbers and hair salons.

I have tried may different brands, cheap and expensive, wired and wireless over the years.

This little guy is by far the best one I used for self head shaves. It is not too wide you can't hold it up over your head, and not to small you take forever and end up missing hairs. No guard gives a nice clean look, but not so short is scratches on your pillow case.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was not a lot. I suspect under $50.
Images
  • IMG_20200413_163152.jpg
  • IMG_20200413_163206.jpg
  • IMG_20200413_163155.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1459 posts
498 upvotes
GTA
Bought the kit at costco, had my hair cut by a friend and it turned out okay.

My hair grows really fast, 2 weeks went by and Im ready for another cut. Even if she messed up, it grows back quick enough. It works for now...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21694 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
lol - I may have over-rotated on my purchases....

1. Ordered the Wahl kit from Costco (order confirmed!)
2. ordered the Philips multi-groom 5000 from Walmart.ca (order confirmed!)
3. also ordered the Remington Shortcut Pro from amazon.ca (order pending)

Thinking I'll keep and try the Wahl kit from Costco first......that should hopefully arrive first.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2904 posts
590 upvotes
Ancaster
I've got the Wahl Elite Pro. It's one of the best on the market.

You'll have a hell of a time finding one right now though.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3734 posts
1654 upvotes
Last night after watching a news segment on Atlanta, Georgia re-opening their economy it included barbers and hair salons. It showed what the "new norm" would look like getting a haircut. Patrons getting temperature checks before entering. Customers and barbers both wearing masks during the cut. One barber thought it was way too early and he didn't want to go back to work that early.

Really glad I invested in hair clippers and hopefully if my shipping notification is correct I'll get mine today. Crossing my fingers.

Personally, after seeing that news segment on haircutters, I most likely won't risk seeing a barber until probably September. In retrospective, my very last haircut the first week of March the person was already wearing a surgical mask when she gave me a haircut. However, I wasn't wearing a mask in the chair at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
nielboy wrote: I've got the Wahl Elite Pro. It's one of the best on the market.

You'll have a hell of a time finding one right now though.
Same one I have. Only bad thing is the cape is too small.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13866 posts
8934 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'm growing my hair long like a hippie! Save $$$

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2456 posts
742 upvotes
Gta
So I purchased this off amazon a few weeks back.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004OL ... UTF8&psc=1
When I ordered it it too was out of stock at the time but Nonetheless got it about a week to 2 weeks later.

Just cut hubby’s hair. Thought it turned out pretty good . Just followed the instructions and watched a video on you tube .
Sorry don’t know how to fix photos l hope you can make it out .
Images
  • 4FF54330-45FF-422F-972E-94023A3F3103.jpeg
  • 8810E056-0006-450C-9181-3B1C5033CA53.jpeg
Koodo member
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7010 posts
1363 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone tried the luckystar brand from amazon ? It was in stock yesterday
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4399 posts
839 upvotes
Newbury, ON
ji2o0k wrote: outside in the backyard - reminds me of this clip from American Wedding......LOL!!!

Well the lessons I learned:
- don't cut your own hair until you pretend cut in a mirror, one try with the wrong angle and its a buzz not a 9mm cut
- don't get a spouse to cut it (or fix up your flubs) if they have no sense of styling..
- some dogs seem to think cut hair is a tasty snack
- turns out a buzz cut is not as bad as you think it is once you allow a few days for the shock to go away
- OGX makes some low cost scalp shampoo and conditioner
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21694 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
^ this is pretty much me - I have my Remington shortcut buzz pro all queued up to use.......but hesitant to cut my hair myself.

I'll bite the bullet soon and just let it fly!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6055 posts
2395 upvotes
West GTEH!
Bought a Conair set from Costco a few years ago thinking to cut my Kid's hair. Never used it until yesterday when my Kid was complaining about his Mullet and sideburns getting too long since his last haircut 3 months ago.
For an Amateur Barber cutting hair using this Conair cutter, it turned out decent, surprisingly. Of course with the help of Youtube videos I got an idea of what to do.

Wahl, ConAir, etc. all these Brands will do a decent job cutting hair. At minimum these cutters will trim your hair.

Good luck.
😎