Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1058 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton

CX-5 vs Rav 4

I can get the CX-5 GT all in for 38K and the Rav 4 Limited for 43K with teacher benefits.

I see that most websites say he CX-5 is the better overall and better drive, but Rav 4s maintain their value longer.

Is the gap between Mazda and Toyota still that large?

Is the extra 4K for the Rav 4 really worth it?

And considering we're in June, should I just wait for the 2017 models, even though they will carry a higher interest rate?

Thanks guys
21 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
CX5 is better period.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
CX-5 because

-Better looking
-More fun to drive
-Better fuel economy
-Higher quality interior materials
-Safer
-Cheaper price
-Made in Japan
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
RAV4 is better. Look at JD power reliability ratings, CX 5 received only 2 points out of 5 which means cx5 reliability is below average while RAV 4 received 4 out of 5 which is above average

Cx5 base engine is underpowered. 2.5L has slightly better fuel economy. CX5 missing features like lane departure and adaptive cruise control

RAV4 is more spacious, smooth ride and comfortable seats

For the above reasons id pick RAV4.
Mar 30, 2007
507 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
I test drove both recently and ended up buying a used Rav4 Ltd simply because the price was better. They both have their pros and cons. Other than price what drove my decision was more leg room in the back seats and cargo room in Rav4.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1058 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton
Where is Rav 4 made?

I've seen 2014 Rav 4s going for more than 2016 CX-5s. Not sure what that's about lol
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1722 posts
1559 upvotes
Toyota for resale value. The best thing about Toyota ownership is when you sell it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Zero Hope wrote: The best thing about Toyota ownership is when you sell it.
The best thing about Mazda ownership is when you drive it. :D
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
My wife just bought the Mazda CX-5 GT and she loves it, which is saying something as prior to buying the car, she told me she didn't really care what car she drives.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
RAV4:
Better looking.
More comfortable.
Resale value.
Reliability.
Less prone to rust.
More dealerships to fix car if anything goes wrong.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 7, 2013
173 posts
66 upvotes
I would go with the RAV4 based on reliability as well as resale value.

Honestly, few people buys these two cars because of how "fun it is to drive", its usually more for utility/AWD/safety.
My experience with a 2016 RAV4 - decent overall - interior trim better than in the past but still has a fair bit of cheap plastic. Suspension is slightly stiff, and in terms of power - still slightly underpowered.
Gas economy is decent depending on how you drive it - I find you need to keep it in the higher RPM range if you want it to accelerate a bit.

The car does its job well and if you want a reliable car with no hassle ownership - I would still go with the RAV4.
Yes, you are paying more in the beginning - but you also will get more money back if you sell it down the road.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
The one thing that keeps me from buying a Toyota is the Windsor dealership. Least trustworthy bunch I've ever dealt with.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
RAV4 for sure, the limited edition is sweet as well. Resale value is higher as well as its reliability. I'm currently driving a new RAV4 2015 and do not regret it at all. Great ride.

Honestly the RAV4 looks better than the cx5 but it all comes down to preference.

MADE IN ONTARIO AS WELL!
Dec 28, 2011
351 posts
137 upvotes
TORONTO
2 time CX5 owner. Love the vehicle. Very fun to drive and in my opinion is way nicer looking then the RAV4, though I'm biased because I never drove the RAV4.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1058 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton
I could also get the CRV Touring Edition (top right of the line) for 1k more than the Toyota. Worth it?
Mar 30, 2007
507 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
peji911 wrote: I could also get the CRV Touring Edition (top right of the line) for 1k more than the Toyota. Worth it?
dont overthink this. they are all good autos and will last you a while. If you are saving cash on cx5 go with it. After a few months the charm of all the extra frills fades away but the monthly payments dont. buy the cx5 and save the $5k.
Mar 4, 2013
671 posts
533 upvotes
Don't fall for the "Made in Japan" label from Mazda. I had a brand new Mazda that was made in Japan, it ran fine for the first 2 years but after that parts started failing one after and other. Obviously, they cheap out on parts. Mazda is always selling at a lower price than Honda and Toyota for a reason.

In your case, I would recommend getting the Rav4 XLE hybrid instead of the gas limited. Yes, you will not get some tech features (which I won't miss) but you get 20 more hp and much better mpg. Also, you get Toyota reliability and resale value.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I would choose the CX-5 over the Toyota. The drive is just so much better. It's more refined, feels direct and has:

Smart city brake support
Auto highbeam control
Lane departure
Rear cross traffic alert
Blind spot detection
Radar cruise control
Adaptive front lighting
I-Activsense AWD

The CX-3 looks better as well. The Toyota looks too much like the Jane Doe of cars
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
JD Power's Reliability is not too depenable according to below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/jd-p ... y-opinion/

Also, the CX-5 does have those features you mentioned, they may just have a different name but it does have the tech just no power gate and cross traffic.

Problem with RAV4 is it is no where as refined with the drive and insurance is likely much more since toyota parts and repair are more expensive.
Spyd3r wrote: RAV4 is better. Look at JD power reliability ratings, CX 5 received only 2 points out of 5 which means cx5 reliability is below average while RAV 4 received 4 out of 5 which is above average

Cx5 base engine is underpowered. 2.5L has slightly better fuel economy. CX5 missing features like lane departure and adaptive cruise control

RAV4 is more spacious, smooth ride and comfortable seats

For the above reasons id pick RAV4.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)