Travel

Cycling ACA Sierra Cascades : GPX , nav app or paper maps ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2020 7:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
142 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal

Cycling ACA Sierra Cascades : GPX , nav app or paper maps ?

Hi everyone,

In a few months I will be cycling the ACA Sierra Cascades from San Diego to Vancouver. Beside using google maps on my everyday routine, I have never used GPX files, or apps like ridewithgps and such.

Link to the whole ACA map : https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes ... twork-map/

Link to ACA orientation options : https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes ... pp-or-gpx/

On the second link, they show the difference between using their own app, or getting the gpx that I can use with whatever software I want. Anyone used their app before ? Does the basic (free) ridewithgps have the same features to begin with ?

For info I will be using a cell phone, not a cycling gps/computer.

Thanks for your input
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18948 posts
6125 upvotes
London
LaurentD88313 wrote: Hi ..... For info I will be using a cell phone, not a cycling gps/computer.
Try asking in the computer forum. As far as I know, you need higher end gps apps to be able to utilize gpx routes.

(regular gps app would automatically route you along the interstate. The app must be smart enough to follow custom route embedded in the gpx file like using certain scenic back roads)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8753 posts
4367 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There aren't that many roads once you get out of the big cities so not that easy to get lost.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10556 posts
3877 upvotes
Can’t help you with the gps but watched “pedal the world” on Netflix. About a German guy biking the world (using planes to hop certain places) decent adventure and story line. The last section is biking up the west coast of the USA. He gave up at some point far too rainy lots of wind.

Def don’t want to discourage you but give the film a watch i rather enjoyed it even if it was a bit German dry at times
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)