Sports & Recreation

Cycling in the Vancouver and Victoria area...

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2017 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1689 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto

Cycling in the Vancouver and Victoria area...

We try to make it out to Vancouver annually, and this year is no exception. I have taken my road bike out to Vancouver a number of years ago, but it was mainly just riding around/exploring type deal. This year, I'd like it to be a little more structured. Fitness aside, those that have an opinion/experience, let me know what you think. We'll be staying in Vancouver proper, and I'll be bringing either my R2 or S1. For "safety/awareness" reference I ride in downtown Toronto and have commuted through the city regularly.

Ride 1 - Vancouver to Tsawwassen to Victoria and back. I know I'll have to leave early. Ride to Tsawwassen seems straightforward aside from the shuttle through the George Massey tunnel. Ferry to Victoria. I'm looking at doing one of the routes on Ryder Hesjedal's Tour de Victoria, specifically the 90km "Legend" ride. How feasible is that route to do outside of a closed/event style course? Is it reasonably safe? If it is not a route that cyclists normally would take, is there another route between 80-100km that you would suggest? Let's assume it will be a 12 hour day (the last shuttle going north from the tunnel looks to leave at 6:30 pm). We potentially may be in town during the actual event. If that's the case, I'll just try and register.

Ride 2 - Vancouver to Whistler and back (via car service). I admittedly don't have a huge amount (read any) experience cycling beside cars on the highway. From what I've read, the Sea to Sky highway is frequented by cyclists and is generally safe outside of a couple of relatively short spots that you have to be a little more careful. Unfortunately, we won't be there around Fondo time, or I'd just register for that event. Opinions on that?

Any tips would be appreciated, as well as any other suggestions for 50-100km ride that I can leave from downtown Vancouver.

Thanks.
2 replies
Mar 29, 2007
161 posts
21 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote: We try to make it out to Vancouver annually, and this year is no exception. I have taken my road bike out to Vancouver a number of years ago, but it was mainly just riding around/exploring type deal. This year, I'd like it to be a little more structured. Fitness aside, those that have an opinion/experience, let me know what you think. We'll be staying in Vancouver proper, and I'll be bringing either my R2 or S1. For "safety/awareness" reference I ride in downtown Toronto and have commuted through the city regularly.

Ride 1 - Vancouver to Tsawwassen to Victoria and back. I know I'll have to leave early. Ride to Tsawwassen seems straightforward aside from the shuttle through the George Massey tunnel. Ferry to Victoria. I'm looking at doing one of the routes on Ryder Hesjedal's Tour de Victoria, specifically the 90km "Legend" ride. How feasible is that route to do outside of a closed/event style course? Is it reasonably safe? If it is not a route that cyclists normally would take, is there another route between 80-100km that you would suggest? Let's assume it will be a 12 hour day (the last shuttle going north from the tunnel looks to leave at 6:30 pm). We potentially may be in town during the actual event. If that's the case, I'll just try and register.

Ride 2 - Vancouver to Whistler and back (via car service). I admittedly don't have a huge amount (read any) experience cycling beside cars on the highway. From what I've read, the Sea to Sky highway is frequented by cyclists and is generally safe outside of a couple of relatively short spots that you have to be a little more careful. Unfortunately, we won't be there around Fondo time, or I'd just register for that event. Opinions on that?

Any tips would be appreciated, as well as any other suggestions for 50-100km ride that I can leave from downtown Vancouver.

Thanks.
Hoping Vancouver riders can chime in. I would also like to learn of some recommended routes as I am taking my bike to Vancouver in April.. Riding to Whistler is definately on my bucket list. Id like to do the Whistler Gran Fondo one of these years. Another bucket list ride would be the triple crown. This would be easy to get to if you are staying downtown. Ive never thought about going to Victoria to ride, seems like taking the ferry to Victoria just to ride and come back is a bit of a nuissance. I know a lot of people ride in Richmond but I expect it to be very flat there and we get enough of that in Toronto.
Sep 19, 2006
161 posts
38 upvotes
BC
spintheblackcircle wrote: We try to make it out to Vancouver annually, and this year is no exception. I have taken my road bike out to Vancouver a number of years ago, but it was mainly just riding around/exploring type deal. This year, I'd like it to be a little more structured. Fitness aside, those that have an opinion/experience, let me know what you think. We'll be staying in Vancouver proper, and I'll be bringing either my R2 or S1. For "safety/awareness" reference I ride in downtown Toronto and have commuted through the city regularly.

Thanks.

Hello,

The entire route for the Ryder Hesiedal Tour is very safe the population of Victoria is 300K in Greater Victoria.
I ride the roads all the time never had an issue regarding safety, lots of bike lanes part of the route is on country roads. Most people know the ride is on and usually stay off the road till about noon.
Munns Road is the most challenging part the BIG HILL, the rest is fairly flat, some rolling parts.

Any questions send me a PM love to help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)