Automotive

Cyclist hit by a car... what should I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2016 11:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4008 posts
1890 upvotes
Mississauga

Cyclist hit by a car... what should I do?

So I got hit by a car this morning on my work commute. Going straight on green she was turning right. Cut me right off and I had no chance to break or avoid in any way. I am sore and scrapes and bruises. Bike is scratches up but otherwise ok.
Got her insurance, licence, car and contact info.
What should I do? Any advice would be great.
----------------
So to update I went to get myself checkout and clean out the scrapes and road rush. Nothing broken and will heal. Today I am going to get my bike checked out.
Should I file a police report? What will that do?
Also, I tried calling her last night and texting, no reply. You would think that if something like this happened the other person would show concern and care about what happened. This pisses me off more than anything. Not even a phone call to ask about how Im doing etc. No apologies.
----------------
And to update, police report filed.
60 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35601 posts
21667 upvotes
Center of Universe
Did you get checked out at the hospital or make an appointment with a family doctor?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5644 posts
1411 upvotes
i always wonder about these accidents.

i realize technically she is at fault -- but you were to the right of a car turning right.....should you not be more careful? when i ride my bike I know the car turning right won't notice me beside them so I wait. in fact i often go to the left of the car.

since you are not hurt (yet) and your bike is currently ok - maybe do nothing? and if you happen to be hurt in a couple of days call the insurance company to get some massages maybe?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
1. check up (yourself)
2. check up on bike (shop)

bill the driver if you had cost.

remember some of the soreness won't show up until a few days...but make sure you document with pictures especially once the bruising is visible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4008 posts
1890 upvotes
Mississauga
milolai wrote: i always wonder about these accidents.

i realize technically she is at fault -- but you were to the right of a car turning right.....should you not be more careful? when i ride my bike I know the car turning right won't notice me beside them so I wait. in fact i often go to the left of the car.

since you are not hurt (yet) and your bike is currently ok - maybe do nothing? and if you happen to be hurt in a couple of days call the insurance company to get some massages maybe?
I was going straight. She cut me right off. I mean turned right in front of me, didnt even signal. There was NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I could have done in 2 seconds.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO
milolai wrote: i always wonder about these accidents.

Cars don't always (never?) signal their intent of turning, sometimes people leave their blinkers on and forget... OP was lucky it wasn't more serious but can't really be blamed. The car is at fault, the driver should have checked over her shoulder etc, there is nothing OP could have done. Bikes also don't brake as well as cars and don't have anti-locking brakes, once you brake hard wheels lose traction, it takes 3-5m to stop and the wheels are drifting.

OP: get a checkup from your GP and contact the driver's insurer. Even if there are no consequences (but you said the bike is scratched, get it checked up to), you'd have done your due diligence in a timely manner. Insurers hate paying out and they probably have timeframes within which to report injuries, accidents etc. Better get the file open today and follow up in a couple of weeks than delaying and coming to them in a few weeks to open the file. Don't feel bad for the driver, it's their fault and that's what insurance is for.

--edit: Forgot to add, if you were wearing a helmet it will need to be replaced. It's the insurer's responsibility to reimburse you for that. And if you weren't wearing a helmet, hopefully this is your cue to get one so you don't get a cerebral commotion when (not if) it happens again. Also consider investing in a quality strobe on the front so you'll be more noticeable to clumsy drivers.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Jan 6, 2012
206 posts
63 upvotes
Brandon
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I was going straight. She cut me right off. I mean turned right in front of me, didnt even signal. There was NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I could have done in 2 seconds.
http://draw.accidentsketch.com/
Just draw the accident. Lefts and rights getting mixed up I think.
"DOORBUSTER" - LENOVOGATE 2014 😥
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
Take pics of the accident scene that shows the license plate and vehicle make and model. Get a full check up at the hospital.
Nov 13, 2005
263 posts
229 upvotes
Calgary
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I was going straight. She cut me right off. I mean turned right in front of me, didnt even signal. There was NOTHING and I mean NOTHING I could have done in 2 seconds.
I used to ride 30-40k each day to school and university. Have had enough close calls. You are probably in the right curb going straight. She is going straight but approaching an intersection, did she slow down, did you have any eye contact with her, her posture etc. You are in the vulnerable position, assume always the driver is the idiot, look at them, posture, eyes, hands, braking, slowing. You can tell when someone is about to turn in front of you or open their &$&@ door in front of you. Same thing like driving, ride defensively. On intersections if possible and traffic is clear, I would usually edge back closer to the middle of the lane to prevent this sort of thing and to also make sure opposing turning traffic knows I am going straight and do not turn into me, ( that's happened before, opposing side driver thought I was turning.... Yeah, 35 km/h on a bike and I'm turning...)

She was at fault but get photos, date them, might be a police report since it is vehicle/pedestrian but ask insurance company for guidelines.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13978 posts
8084 upvotes
Toronto
OP, if you are injured and need treatment, you can claim Accident Benefits (AB) through your car insurance.

If you don't have your own car insurance, and aren't listed on a policy anywhere, you can claim AB through the insurer of the lady who hit you.

PM me if you need more info
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4008 posts
1890 upvotes
Mississauga
Helmet always, strong blinking strobe in the front, strong blinking red at the back.
I took photos of myself, the car at the scene, her licence and insurance, got get phone number. Helmet is ok and not scratches so I am pretty sure I did not smash my head. Just feel shook up.
I could post photos of all this here but I dont think that would be right.... for now.
My shoulder took the brunt of this fall and now its hurting me more and more. But I can move it ok so its just bruising I think. I will still go to a walk-in clinic later on for sure.
I dont think you guys realize what I mean when I say there was nothing I could do. I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash. Happened right at Dundas and Breakwater Ct. in Mississauga.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13978 posts
8084 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Helmet always, strong blinking strobe in the front, strong blinking red at the back.
I took photos of myself, the car at the scene, her licence and insurance, got get phone number. Helmet is ok and not scratches so I am pretty sure I did not smash my head. Just feel shook up.
I could post photos of all this here but I dont think that would be right.... for now.
My shoulder took the brunt of this fall and now its hurting me more and more. But I can move it ok so its just bruising I think. I will still go to a walk-in clinic later on for sure.
I dont think you guys realize what I mean when I say there was nothing I could do. I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash. Happened right at Dundas and Cook St. in Mississauga.
as a fellow cyclist i know exactly what you are describing. I fear that very scenario everyday

The car is 100% at fault.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5644 posts
1411 upvotes
I understand. But you went straight directly in front of a car turning right.

The average person in a car will think you are at fault.

You may have not seen her signal as you were beside her.

is this how the accident happened?

Mar 29, 2007
161 posts
21 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: So I got hit by a car this morning on my work commute. Going straight on green she was turning right. Cut me right off and I had no chance to break or avoid in any way. I am sore and scrapes and bruises. Bike is scratches up but otherwise ok.
Got her insurance, licence, car and contact info.
What should I do? Any advice would be great.
Something similar happened to me before. I called the police and the officer came to the spot, took statements from everyone, and wrote a report in his note pad but said he would not file it so long as the driver made things right. If the driver reneged on his promise, then I was told to call the officer and he would then file the report and it would result in charges of dangerous driving for the driver.

I think you should give a statement to the police to start a trail of evidence and for legitimacy. It was my understanding that any collision between a car and cyclist, esp if there is an injury, should be called in. In my case, my bike took the brunt of the damage and I just got an estimate from my LBS afterwhich the drivers car insurance just paid the quote. Took about 2 weeks for me to get the cheque and I think they were just happy I didnt need any rehab. You sound like you might need some rehab so it might be more complicated. You will probably need a note from a doctor that says you need rehab. Some rehab clinics will bill the insurer directly so you will probably need some authorization from the insurer.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11013 posts
2111 upvotes
Toronto
TomKat2 wrote: Something similar happened to me before. I called the police and the officer came to the spot, took statements from everyone, and wrote a report in his note pad but said he would not file it so long as the driver made things right. If the driver reneged on his promise, then I was told to call the officer and he would then file the report and it would result in charges of dangerous driving for the driver.

I think you should give a statement to the police to start a trail of evidence and for legitimacy. It was my understanding that any collision between a car and cyclist, esp if there is an injury, should be called in. In my case, my bike took the brunt of the damage and I just got an estimate from my LBS afterwhich the drivers car insurance just paid the quote. Took about 2 weeks for me to get the cheque and I think they were just happy I didnt need any rehab. You sound like you might need some rehab so it might be more complicated. You will probably need a note from a doctor that says you need rehab. Some rehab clinics will bill the insurer directly so you will probably need some authorization from the insurer.
Id be pissed off and demand they be charged with dangerous/careless driving
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Id be pissed off and demand they be charged with dangerous/careless driving
Yes. If the driver passed a cyclist and immediately turned right in front of them, they shouldn't be on the road.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
How you describe, you were behind the car making the right turn. You are at fault for following too closely.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: How you describe, you were behind the car making the right turn. You are at fault for following too closely.
You presumably missed the part where the OP said "I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash."

If the car passed them and turned, the driver was clearly at fault and should at least get a careless driving ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
movieman wrote: You presumably missed the part where the OP said "I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash."

If the car passed them and turned, the driver was clearly at fault and should at least get a careless driving ticket.
Yea call their insurance and you need to emphasize that and dont mention you were rear or behind.

Start some physiotherapy and receive accident benefit min $20k if you can fill out all the correct paperwork and goto every appointment and don't forget to mention where it will be hurting and possible unable to ride a bike again.

After getting this from the insurance, go sue the driver.
Mar 29, 2007
161 posts
21 upvotes
movieman wrote: Yes. If the driver passed a cyclist and immediately turned right in front of them, they shouldn't be on the road.
Right after it happened I was hella pissed. The guy that got out was apologetic though, and I empathized with him having made a mistake. I empathized even more with him when his wife started to argue with the cop and I could see it in his facial expression that he wished she would shut up. I can see why people think charges should be given. Today if it happened again I would still feel conflicted. Really, it shouldnt be up to me to decide when to press charges though. Thats the polices job.