• Dec 21st, 2004 8:34 pm
Tags:
None
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1645 posts
12 upvotes
I too have been to the Steeles/Don Mills ESM. The service there is horrible and the waitresses are pretty rude and unattentive usually. The food has definitely gone way down over the years. It is unlikely I will return to ESM, the Don Mills location especially. Much rather drive up a bit to Hwy 7 for Baton Rouge, Keg, Fazoolis etc.
Heatware: 40-0-0
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15455 posts
1367 upvotes
Scarborough
I love ESM's italian wedding soup.

the one at Eglinton and Pharmacy is not bad.
Oct 26, 2004
35 posts
GTA
actng wrote:I love ESM's italian wedding soup.

the one at Eglinton and Pharmacy is not bad.
totally agree with you. their wedding soup is awesome. i love the fact that it's endless bowl, so i once just ate a couple bowls of soup and was so full with soup that i had to take my main entree to go.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
Guess I've been lucky.. I've always had good experiences at ESM.. though I've never been to one in Toronto. *Shrug*
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4190 posts
17 upvotes
I totally have to agree with this thread, East Side Mario's is a pretty pathetic representation of good Italian food. The servings are small, the service is crappy, but most of all the food generally blows, it's like a bad north american take on what true italian cuisine is.
Oct 22, 2003
149 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
but it isn't supposed to be authentic Italian food..

They call themselves an American-Italian Eatery.
Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1846 posts
154 upvotes
Central Ontario
No problems with ESM here either, but I've never been to those locations that you mention.

I was at an ESM with an Italian-born friend and he said the pasta was good, so that must say something.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
I'm pretty happy with ESM @ Sherway. Service is great and food is tasty. Haven't been to the locations you've mentioned, though.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1502 posts
60 upvotes
The one in town is great but I did go to the Don Mills/Steeles location too and it was TERRIBLE.

They obviously need to hire management that give a damn about the food quality/service.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4190 posts
17 upvotes
JustMike wrote: I was at an ESM with an Italian-born friend and he said the pasta was good, so that must say something.
Yeah but I'm Italian, and I can tell you that the food is brutal in comparison.
Jun 27, 2003
489 posts
Toronto, Ontario
an Italian man like I would also say the food is good cuz we're used to eating real Italian food... but if you really want the best real home cooked style Italian food just go to St. Clair & Dufferin... or if you want fancy dinner with the lady go to these fine places too..

Luce - 30 Mercer St. at the Hotal Le Germain
ViBo - 2995 Bloor St. West

try the Veal Canelloni, Stuffed Artichokes.. Italian Halibut.. amazing stuff!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4190 posts
17 upvotes
Eternal Blue wrote:an Italian man like I would also say the food is good cuz we're used to eating real Italian food... but if you really want the best real home cooked style Italian food just go to St. Clair & Dufferin... or if you want fancy dinner with the lady go to these fine places too..

Luce - 30 Mercer St. at the Hotal Le Germain
ViBo - 2995 Bloor St. West

try the Veal Canelloni, Stuffed Artichokes.. Italian Halibut.. amazing stuff!!!
I've been to Vibo, good food, I agree with that. Haven't been to Luce yet.

Okay, maybe I wasn't being as helpful by just stating East Side Mario's sucked for Italian cuisine and not offering an alternative.
(My summer job used to be delivering pricey imported italian foods to restaurants in the GTA so I'm pretty familiar with the quality of ingredients used and I got to know which chefs were good and which weren't).

So anyways. I'll offer some good alternatives for Italian restaurants as well.

Sotto Sotto - 116A Avenue Rd (Try the 12-ounce Provimi veal chop seasoned with rosemary or the great Tiramisu!)
Noce - 875 Queen W ( The 'Piccata di vitello' is a must, it's veal btw, great service as well)
Grano - 2035 Yonge (try the grano quotidiano, or the torta di fango, very busy although)
Grazie Ristorante - 2373 Yonge (very busy restaurant, so you might have to wait a LONG TIME, but once your in, it offers a more casual dining experience, it's more hip, and aims for the younger crowd, good if you want a quick bite and more relaxed, good pizza, I like the 'Firenze" one, its really good, comes with, pesto, grilled chicken and eggplant, tomatoes and mozzarella )
Biagio Ristorante - 155 King St. E. (more lower key, and you'll see an older crowd, not as casual but the service is very good and so is the food and decor)
:D