Expired Hot Deals

dropbox.com

D-link gigabit switches; dgs-1008d $55, d-link dgs-1005d $39 (ncix)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2010 5:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2006
35 posts
4 upvotes

[dropbox.com] D-link gigabit switches; dgs-1008d $55, d-link dgs-1005d $39 (ncix)

More offers from dropbox.com
Two very well-regarded and -engineered switches. They are one of the first 'environmentally friendly' gigabit switches to have come to market.

D-LINK DGS-1005D CNET Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/switches/d-link ... 40496.html

D-LINK DGS-1005D Price Comparison:
http://pricecanada.com/p.php/D-Link-DGS ... 05D-15986/

They should price match the units as well using the on-site utility.

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1460251/040411.jpg[/IMG]
15 replies
Apr 18, 2005
274 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
Are these much better than the Trendnet green switch that was on sale at Dell for $29 a few days ago? I've been using that for quite a whiles now...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3340 posts
810 upvotes
The Trendnet switches are fine for residential & SOHO use - I have three in my LAN and they are solid - got them last year when they first came out and paid $30 each, also from Dell.

This implies that the D-Link deal is cool, at best.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2006
1689 posts
78 upvotes
Nitroman wrote: Are these much better than the Trendnet green switch that was on sale at Dell for $29 a few days ago? I've been using that for quite a whiles now...
Dpubtful there'd be much if any difference, it's an unmanaged switch fer cryin' out loud. Honestly I still can't believe the market still demands a premium for low-end gigabit devices like these
Aug 18, 2009
624 posts
176 upvotes
Probably not a bad deal for a D-Link, but if you don't mind the brand, the Trendnet TEG-S50G and TEG-S80G sell for about those prices when on regular price.

So far I had no issue with my Trendnet 8 port switch (TEG-S80G) and it goes on sale for 30$ once in a while on Dell.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6574 posts
1196 upvotes
You can get a Trendnet 8 port gigabit switch for $30 on sale regularly.

Basically you are paying the extra for the D-link brand and because the fact that they first created the "Green" ethernet technology for consumers products.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18246 posts
1237 upvotes
I wish it had free shipping, I need two of the 5port ones
Jan 2, 2006
695 posts
25 upvotes
Oakville
thanks OP.....was looking at picking up this switch.
Feb 13, 2006
322 posts
5 upvotes
sorry but what are these switches for? do they serve the same purpose as a normal router? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6574 posts
1196 upvotes
The Great Raj! wrote: sorry but what are these switches for? do they serve the same purpose as a normal router? thanks
No, they don't serve the same purpose as a normal router.
Basically it just adds gigabit ports to your existing router if you happen to run out of ports or if your current router does not have gigabit ports. These are gigabit switches, that means your network computer to computer communciation speed is theoretically 1000Mbps, you can not achieve 100% of that speed because its advertisement but it does help transferring files between computer to computer on the same switch faster, no it will not make your Bell or Rogers internet speed go any faster.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4706 posts
1979 upvotes
WFH
Nitroman wrote: Are these much better than the Trendnet green switch that was on sale at Dell for $29 a few days ago? I've been using that for quite a whiles now...
I read a lot of reviews and came to the conclusion that a lot of people are having issues with this switch. I did buy the Trendnet in Nov for $30 and so far so good but 2 months isn't really long enough to form a solid opinion.

One comment I will make though is that the D-Link switch is very likely built around the same Realtek chipset (RTL8368S/RTL8214) that the Trendnet uses and based on the same reference design in which case the only real differentiator would be the build quality and price.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2462 posts
155 upvotes
GTA
I have Trendnet 8-port giga green switch and wifi n + 4-port giga green router. No problem at all. Recommended ;)
Jul 4, 2005
264 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
I've got the 5 port Dlink. Works great. Next time I would get the 8 port though. You lose one port on your router connecting to the switch and lose one port on the switch. Overall you only gain 3 or 6 ports. This is assuming you have a gigabit router and have lots of computers/rooms to hook up.
Jan 12, 2007
273 posts
62 upvotes
I was just browsing gigabit switches because i missed out on the Dell DoD Trendnet greennet S80G gigabit switch and i found this one:

http://www.bewawa.com/trendnet-10-100-1 ... etail.html

This one is just an TEG-S8 switch but I'm not an networking expert and can't really figure out what the differences are from the TEG-S80G.

Does anyone know if this one is a good deal at 39.99? Comparable to the S80G?
Apr 19, 2004
911 posts
411 upvotes
Earth
These are $29.99 at Zellers right now. Clearence I just bought one. D-Link DGS-1005D

None left in Aurora (GTA) YMMV

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)