Automotive

Dad is getting a new RX350. Best security system?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2022 5:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes

Dad is getting a new RX350. Best security system?

My 75 year old father is set on getting a new RX350. He'll be parking it in his garage but he often visits my house and my brother's house and stays for the weekend. He also spends a lot of time at the local rec center (pre covid).

What third party security systems are best considering the Lexus factory ones can get easily bypassed by theives who know what they're doing?

Is a simple steering wheel club helpful?

Thanks!
80 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32078 posts
19294 upvotes
Toronto
the club is no match to a professional thief. It only take them 30 seconds and if he wants your SUV, he will take it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes
30 second eh? Yikes. I thought it would provide at least some of a deterrent.
booblehead wrote: the club is no match to a professional thief. It only take them 30 seconds and if he wants your SUV, he will take it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes
Interesting! I assume this would void the warranty if he got this installed? Maybe I should let the Lexus dealership install it :)
Xtrema wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9639 posts
9150 upvotes
hank755 wrote: Interesting! I assume this would void the warranty if he got this installed? Maybe I should let the Lexus dealership install it :)
I would assume dealership may stay away from custom alarms or kill switch install.

But @Booblehead's recommendation cost more but keep your warranty intact.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19718 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote:
+1 for kill switch. No it won't void your warranty if installed properly and it's less likely to be a problem compared to an immobilizer. Not as convenient as immobilizer though.
Last edited by engineered on May 12th, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1615 posts
2291 upvotes
Just have good insurance. He will be paying a premium to insure it anyway so they are taking the risk. Unless he keeps gold ingots in there, no need to do anything else IMO
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19718 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA
Or just keep it in the garage.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1951 posts
683 upvotes
ORLEANS
My dad got his rx350 last year. He’s about 58. Came from a BMW X6 but liked his previous lexus. He went back and I told him about the thefts. We got him ghost immobilizer installed.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
The Club or similar is the best. For the simple reason that thieves targeting the Lexus vehicles (and others modern cars) are using the radio frequency amplifier technique.

Throwing a physical lock will complicate / delay the robbery enough that they should move on to the next target. Especially with so many surveillance cameras installed in homes. It's too risky to spent time dealing with different controls.

Also, think about protecting the air bag if you live in a high crime area. https://www.amazon.ca/Oklead-Universal- ... B07HRHQ7KK

Also:

** Do not leave keyless FOBs near the front door of your home overnight; rather leave the keys as far away from the front door as possible

*** Consider leaving keys in a container that will block the keyless FOBs signal, such as a Faraday bag / box
20145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Best security? Don't buy one LOL

As @motomondo mentioned, best thing to do is keep the fob far away and in a faraday box.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19692 posts
20145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RaphaelG041 wrote: Just have good insurance. He will be paying a premium to insure it anyway so they are taking the risk. Unless he keeps gold ingots in there, no need to do anything else IMO
You clearly have no idea how often these are stolen and how easy. It's not about insurance, it's a pain in the ass to have to go through the whole process of starting the claim, waiting for time to pass so insurance can officially deem the car missing, paying deductible and buying again which may leave one in a negative equity situation.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7139 posts
4048 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: +1 for kill switch. No it won't void your warranty if installed properly and it's less likely to be a problem compared to an immobilizer. Not as convenient as I've though.
I know there are insurance companies in Montreal that do something like this and it doesn't void the warranty (the ones I've seen, add a "circuit interrupt" behind the dash and you have to place a magnet fob over the specific spot to start to start the car.)
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16779 posts
5371 upvotes
Toronto
The stock Lexus alarm system should be fine if you take precautions on protecting the keyfob. You can get a metal box with tin foil or a small metal box (i.e. Faraday cage) that you can take with you to put the keyfob in. This prevents people from trying to get a signal from the keyfob and start the Lexus. I am not sure if this works, but here are some examples: https://www.amazon.ca/Faraday-Protector ... B0894BVQSM AND https://www.amazon.ca/SHISHUO-Car-Key-S ... B07CZDCJSS

Other items like this can be found here: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=faraday+box

You might want to ask your Dad to get a few quotes from various insurance companies and they can give you an estimate on how much the insurance is. If the rate is high, and they tell you that it is stolen often, you can ask them what alarm system/theft deterrent systems they recommend as they will know what works and what does not.

Think of it this way: You will be PAYING for the insurance, so if it is stolen, you get another vehicle. If you put all sorts of things to deter thieves, they might just ransack the vehicle, damage it and insurance may cover the repair costs. The vehicle won't look the same and you will be driving a new vehicle that may look butchered.

With any appealing expensive vehicle, you just need to do what is reasonably possible to prevent it from getting stolen.
Nov 27, 2014
58 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like latest model you can track through their mobile app.. recently my neighbors old RX350 stolen from covered parking . It took 3 weeks for police to found car in Missisuagua .. meanwhile his insurance company gave him latest model of Same car .. told him that if he loose again then it will impact his insurance..now he is parking his car in garage all time .(day n night )
Last edited by khotvikasp on May 12th, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32078 posts
19294 upvotes
Toronto
If you file enough claims for your stolen vehicles, insurance company will surely jack up your premiums to the moon and/or dropping you totally on renewals. Of course, you will still get to drive a brand new one every time after it is stolen. hehe.