• Feb 2nd, 2021 5:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 23, 2016
72 posts
9 upvotes

Daikin furnace

Thoughts on daikin furnaces?

Starting to look Into replacing and found a company that has stellar reviews locally and the guy that came out to do the quote was great.

Just curious about others experiences with daikin I personally have not heard a lot about them but they come with a 12 year parts and labour warranty
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4569 posts
1579 upvotes
Never heard of them being in the HVAC industry ... https://daikincomfort.com/

Company has been established since 1924 ... so I guess they are good ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikin ... 97 years old ...

I had mine replaced with a Lennox ... and they have been around since 1895 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennox_International )
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2488 posts
909 upvotes
Woodbridge
If quotation was good, then go ahead with it. Haven't come across many Daikin yet but seems to be glorified Goodman. So if I have chose between two, I will certainly consider the price difference if there is any.
Twitchy15 wrote: Thoughts on daikin furnaces?

Starting to look Into replacing and found a company that has stellar reviews locally and the guy that came out to do the quote was great.

Just curious about others experiences with daikin I personally have not heard a lot about them but they come with a 12 year parts and labour warranty
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Dec 6, 2020
280 posts
255 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I am considering a Daikin HP but want to make sure it is a Daikin and not an Amana or Goodman.
As far as I'm aware, Daikin heat pumps with fans that blow horizontally (i.e. this style) have not been contaminated with Amana/Goodman technology. It's less certain what's inside traditional vertical airflow heatpumps (i.e. this style). It's possible they have been upgraded with Daikan technology but it's much more likely they're still using Amana/Goodman internals.

The engineering behind the horizontal-flow units is too different from the engineering in the vertical flow units for Daikin to readily stuff Amana/Goodman internals into a horizontal-flow heat pump.
Oct 19, 2020
322 posts
189 upvotes
The furnaces are just goodmans but with stainless steel heat exchanger and for the higher end ones like 2-stage variable, non-crippled controls. (gmvc96 is crippled by comfort-bridge and no thermostat staging with a generic stat) Can read my other posts for more info.

If the cost of the daikin is like $4 to $5k, you might as well get a better furnace to begin with like a trane/american standard or lennox/armstrong.

Daikin never was a residential ducted forced air company, they bought goodman and kind of merged the lines.
You can get a real daikin ac/heatpump with the same technology as their mini-splits that interfaces with the goodman style furnace.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5653 posts
2491 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
middleofnowhere wrote:
As far as I'm aware, Daikin heat pumps with fans that blow horizontally (i.e. this style) have not been contaminated with Amana/Goodman technology. It's less certain what's inside traditional vertical airflow heatpumps (i.e. this style). It's possible they have been upgraded with Daikan technology but it's much more likely they're still using Amana/Goodman internals.

The engineering behind the horizontal-flow units is too different from the engineering in the vertical flow units for Daikin to readily stuff Amana/Goodman internals into a horizontal-flow heat pump.
insertname2020 wrote: Daikin never was a residential ducted forced air company, they bought goodman and kind of merged the lines.
You can get a real daikin ac/heatpump with the same technology as their mini-splits that interfaces with the goodman style furnace.
I'm looking at a ducted central HP to replace the Carrier (pretty basic one which has pretty poor heating season efficiency - doesn't work well from around freezing and colder). How is Daikin for this kind of unit (~ 3-4t)? The other one in consideration is a Mitsubishi Zuba.

Backup heat will have to be electric (that the Mitsubishi may not need where I am). Fossil fuel heating is either unavailable (no NG in my area, and will likely never be) or expensive (trucked-in tank propane). -15C, which is the claimed temperature point where the Zuba starts to lose efficiency, is a temperature that might be seen once every 10-20 year here if at all and only for very, very brief periods. -9C seems to be the record low for this upcoming week.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Oct 19, 2020
322 posts
189 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I'm looking at a ducted central HP to replace the Carrier (pretty basic one which has pretty poor heating season efficiency - doesn't work well from around freezing and colder). How is Daikin for this kind of unit (~ 3-4t)? The other one in consideration is a Mitsubishi Zuba.

Backup heat will have to be electric (that the Mitsubishi may not need where I am). Fossil fuel heating is either unavailable (no NG in my area, and will likely never be) or expensive (trucked-in tank propane). -15C, which is the claimed temperature point where the Zuba starts to lose efficiency, is a temperature that might be seen once every 10-20 year here if at all and only for very, very brief periods. -9C seems to be the record low for this upcoming week.
The extended performance data of the unit/size needs to be checked, as well as the basic capacity ratings at 47 and 17F, and sometimes it's unavailable.

I believe the daikin line similar to the mits zup is the FIT, but not all inverter heatpumps maintain full capacity in cold weather. (hence the need to research carefully)
This one promises 100% heating capacity down to -4f, but no the performance data is on the website -> https://daikincomfort.com/products/heat ... ter-ducted

This one maintains capacity better than a conventional heatpump but it does drop off as it gets colder outside: https://backend.daikincomfort.com/docs/ ... d2f2b26_23
The 2 ton version looks no better than a regular hp, 3 ton is better.
Dec 6, 2020
280 posts
255 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I'm looking at a ducted central HP to replace the Carrier (pretty basic one which has pretty poor heating season efficiency - doesn't work well from around freezing and colder). How is Daikin for this kind of unit (~ 3-4t)? The other one in consideration is a Mitsubishi Zuba.
Which Daikin outdoor unit in particular? There's a lot of variance in performance among Daikin heat pump models depending on sizing and intended climate. For instance, the four ton version of SkyAir unit mentioned by insertname2020 will produce 13KW of heat at -14C, while the six ton version of the DZ20VC (also mentioned by insertname2020) will only produce 8KW at the same temperature. See Daikin's engineering data for more details.

For comparison, the largest Zuba (nominally 3.5 ton) produces 14KW of heat at -15C.

It's absolutely essential to look very closely at the engineering specifications for heat pumps to know exactly what you're getting. Make sure you look at the fine print on operating ranges, too. Some heat pumps have lower operating temperatures, below which they shut off entirely -- if you wind up with one of these heat pumps, you will need backup heat able to carry your entire heating load rather than just supplementing the heat pump.

Finally, make sure your contractor does a load calculation for your house so you get enough heat. 14KW might not be enough unless you have a small, very well insulated, house. You could need two heat pumps or considerable backup heat.

Unlike with conventional heat pumps and air conditioners, there's no harm in oversizing variable capacity heat pumps if you need more heat in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5653 posts
2491 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
middleofnowhere wrote: Which Daikin outdoor unit in particular?
Thanks for the detailed reply. I will have to do research as replacement is just a notion as long as the Carrier keeps working (could be just another 5 minutes, or another 5-10 years) and thus I have not researched in detail. The choice of Daikin heat pumps is somewhat overwhelming compared to Mitsubishi.

Temperatures here are very, very unlikely to (or have ever) drop to a point where the (better) heat pumps will start losing heat output (and hopefully never to a point where they might shutdown entirely). I guess I have to see what the dealers here recommend. House insulation is being (slowly) upgraded.

The HP is pretty much used only for heating as cooling isn't really required in our location. There was some need a few years ago when there were forest fires with lots of resultant smoke, but fortunately not the past couple of few summers.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.