Daily Use Dress Shirts

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2019 12:40 am
Feb 22, 2006
196 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Daily Use Dress Shirts

I wear dress shirts to work Monday-Thursday, with dress pants or chinos. I don't go high end, and I usually get my dress shirts from Banana Republic, Gap, Le Chateau, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, and Indochino, and usually pick up when I need it or if I really like the colour/style.

There are always so many sales with varying prices and/or markdowns, so I was wondering, what should be the average price point be to pay for a dress shirt? Is $80 reasonable or is that too high?
11 replies
Feb 24, 2018
967 posts
687 upvotes
$80 is what you should be paying for premium dress shirts that you're wearing to a business event or something when you wanna look really nice. For everyday, a $30-50 cotton shirt from Uniqlo or The Bay (their house brand) or Simons should do the job.
May 24, 2015
50 posts
8 upvotes
You can find $20 dress shirt deals at the bay. Uniqlo has great prices too.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I pay closer to $60 a shirt typically. But I pretty much only buy LL Bean shirts. They are about the only place I can get 36/37 inch sleeves in a men's large shirt. They also last.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Costco's Kirkland brand are great dress shirts that wear exceptionally well.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I like buying used Eton shirts. Lots available on ebay. I found a few on kijiji for good prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
Honestly, just buy ones you like at Winners and get them altered to size. Its only costs a little bit extra but you will be way more satisfied with a true fit shirt since a sloppy/baggy shirt just looks bad.
Dec 7, 2009
529 posts
356 upvotes
B-Town
nielboy wrote: Costco's Kirkland brand are great dress shirts that wear exceptionally well.
Kirkland dress shirts also have "slim fit" in some styles. Excellent value at about $23 per shirt, 100% cotton.

Lots with button down collars. Which I personally dislike.
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
44 posts
13 upvotes
I got mine at Costco. Calvin Klein 100% cotton for under $20+tax. This was a few years ago though.
Jul 4, 2019
49 posts
13 upvotes
costco and uniqlo are where i get my daily wear.
pretty decent if u ask me. i like to get my money's worth
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
When I first arrived in Canada I went to Indochino. They couldn't even get my size right, kind of a joke for the price you pay. I would recommend it if it was half the price maybe.

Went to Uniqlo since then and wife says the shirts looks better (for a third of the cost).
Jul 18, 2012
622 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
PHuth2 wrote: $80 is what you should be paying for premium dress shirts that you're wearing to a business event or something when you wanna look really nice. For everyday, a $30-50 cotton shirt from Uniqlo or The Bay (their house brand) or Simons should do the job.
what do you define as premium?
BillyBill wrote: I like buying used Eton shirts. Lots available on ebay. I found a few on kijiji for good prices.
Eton's are great shirts; I usually stock up on them around December when they go on their annual sale. Even at sale prices of 30%-40% off, they're around 140-220 new. But really, really good shirts all round.