• Jan 31st, 2020 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6278 posts
6748 upvotes
Edmonton

Dairy Queen prices are insane

I noticed on their website the other day that they had a deal for "BOGO" ice cream sandwiches and dilly bars. I haven't had them in a long time and I figured why not? I went in and grabbed (2) 10 packs of dilly bars and brought them to the front. Your total comes to $25.19. I said... "Oh no, they are Buy One Get One Free" and the lady says "Yes, that's right. Each box of 10 is $23.99". Face Screaming In FearAstonished Face I just laughed and walked out. I looked and they had NO PRICES posted anywhere. I guess they just hope some sucker comes in and doesn't notice. Also noticed that 8" blizzard cakes were around $40 each, for a super small cake.

Is it just me or am I living in a bizzaro world? When did DQ become so expensive?
123 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2657 posts
3189 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, this is why I don't really go there, just to get their poutine only.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19857 posts
8174 upvotes
Toronto
Ya crazy prices. Only times I went was when I had the $1 Dreamsicle cone deal. Otherwise it's not worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1394 posts
632 upvotes
Vancouver
To be fair everything is getting expensive. I mean a Mcdonalds meal is over $10 unless you use a coupon.

Their chicken strip meal is still decently priced though compared to other chains.
Sep 24, 2004
947 posts
562 upvotes
Scarborough
The only time I've bought the DQ Blizzard is when they have it at 50% off around Christmas time. Haven't been there in almost 5+ years.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Blame the minimum wage hike. The owners are not going to eat the raise.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
I really don't think it's that unreasonable. 10 bars for $2.39 each seems ok to me. You are getting 20 bars for $1.20 each with 2 for 1

if you walk into any convenience store and buy any type of ice cream sandwich or ice cream bar you are paying almost $3-4 each.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: Blame the minimum wage hike. The owners are not going to eat the raise.
The prices were as high before that. When a business makes most of its money in summer months it has to raise prices to keep operations afloat throughout the year.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7646 posts
4561 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote: Blame the minimum wage hike. The owners are not going to eat the raise.
Really? People are still parroting that argument?

DQ has always been expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6378 posts
6213 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Really? People are still parroting that argument?

DQ has always been expensive.
Dunno about DQ but all the restaurants in my city have raised prices by 20-30% since the minimum wage hike
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1423 posts
1103 upvotes
British Columbia
Yes the prices are high but prices have steadily gone up everywhere, restaurant chains included. DQ in particular makes its money on ice cream treats mainly so it's not as profitable 3/4 of the year. I find the food there is fairly poor, fast food wise.

I go there for ice cream cakes about 3 or 4 times a year and blizzards occasionally too, I live close to a DQ. I'm constantly doing a double take at the cake prices, those cakes used to be around 20 dollars but I have lost track of how many years ago that was. Face With Tears Of Joy

That said, single serve treat prices are fairly comparable to random dessert shop places in town or even about the same as walking into a convience store and buying a single ice cream treat.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4376 upvotes
Put blame where it belongs. The dairy cartel, and governments too scared of the dairy lobby to kill off this scam once and for all.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13765 posts
17847 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: Dunno about DQ but all the restaurants in my city have raised prices by 20-30% since the minimum wage hike
RFDers are always talking about "the minimum wage hike". Of course you mean Ontario's. Well every province has had minimum wage either go up or not go up at all different times compared to Ontario's, and prices are up everywhere.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12516 posts
1430 upvotes
Brampton
TomLafinsky wrote: It is not the prices at Dairy Queen that are insane, but the people who go there Face With Tears Of Joy
Are you talking about bbw's?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6545 posts
6850 upvotes
Vancouver
DQ is actually the closest fast food outlet to my home for the last couple of years, so I occasionally stop in there for a milkshake, burger and fries, and a DIlly bar, which comes to around $10. But only because the receipt always offers a free Dilly bar for rating your transaction online, so I do that and get the Dilly bar on my next visit. I never see any other discount coupons for my local DQ. (... and I just got one in the junk mail!)

A&W is the next closest ff outlet, and their prices are about the same with a discount coupon. Although it irritates me that there are always 2 sets of A&W discount coupons making the rounds locally that each name a different set of local outlets - and my closest one is always the one with the higher prices. I have also noted that same local mall has a grocery store that sells 2x big, juicy, fresh lean beef hamburger patties with embedded cheese bits, ready for grilling, along with 2 fresh big delicious Kaiser buns with sesame and/or poppy seed coating if you want, for a grand total of $4. It takes 10 minutes to grill them up at home and throw on some condiments, and it's way more delicious than what I can get from either DQ or A&W.
Last edited by Scote64 on Jan 23rd, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5320 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
I always hear about how good their regular (non ice cream) food is but have never tried it.
Apr 10, 2019
485 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
kindred_99 wrote: I always hear about how good their regular (non ice cream) food is but have never tried it.
Same. I've been wanting to try it for years but when I'm craving a fast food burger it never crosses my mind. I'll check my phone for a nearby A&W, BK, McD, Wendy's or Harvey's but never DQ.
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
19 posts
14 upvotes
kindred_99 wrote: I always hear about how good their regular (non ice cream) food is but have never tried it.
I know. Its kinda weird to get food at a place known for ice cream.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20075 posts
3951 upvotes
Toronto
someone16 wrote: To be fair everything is getting expensive. I mean a Mcdonalds meal is over $10 unless you use a coupon.

Their chicken strip meal is still decently priced though compared to other chains.
You can't have 12 years of interest rates hovering around zero without hyperinflation. Shrinking product sizes and reducing quality only goes so far. It's inevitable that price increases would start to finally appear. It has nothing to do with the minimum wage, and everything to do with their landlords and suppliers demanding more money.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1487 posts
995 upvotes
Manitoba
DQ was our go to place before in our town but when the previous owners sold it, the overall quality of the store went down and have not gone back eaten there since then.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)