• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 10:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 12, 2008
396 posts
179 upvotes

Damage Cabinet

I just took possession of new construction house 2 weeks ago. 2 of the kitchen cabinet is damage. Would Tarion make the builder replace theses damage walls inside the cabinet?

Cabinet 1 is badly damage where you can really notice it being punctured.
cabinet.jpg

Cabinet 2 the wall doesn't look aligned properly and whats up with the nails sticking out?
cabinet 2.jpg
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1928 posts
694 upvotes
Kitchener
count yourself lucky if this is the worst thing wrong with your home.
Jan 7, 2013
708 posts
377 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Depending how the cabinets were installed, more damage might be done trying to fix what appears to be a pretty minor issue. If the outside of the cabinets look fine then I wouldn't bother
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2767 posts
1542 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey but they fixed it with painters tape.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2008
396 posts
179 upvotes
peelhic wrote: count yourself lucky if this is the worst thing wrong with your home.
Yeah, were lucky we didn't have any major structural damage. Maybe there is behind the walls and we can't see it.
Shaidin wrote: Depending how the cabinets were installed, more damage might be done trying to fix what appears to be a pretty minor issue. If the outside of the cabinets look fine then I wouldn't bother
What do you mean more damage might be done trying to fix it? What else can go wrong?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1494 posts
642 upvotes
Splitting hairs here. Doubt you'll get very far with complaining about damage on the INSIDE of the cabinets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5222 posts
637 upvotes
I'd just roll some white paint on it or put some tape in there and call it a day. Can't be seen from the outside. Why bother with something so small.
Jun 26, 2019
977 posts
733 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: Hey but they fixed it with painters tape.
As long as its structural painters tape you're good.

Really, its low quality builder cabinets, installed by cheap trades in a rush, sorry if this is too honest. Those gaps in the corners are just insane.

I would probably complain to your builder and see if they do anything about it.

Also, before loading up the cabinets Id put some weight on them, either push or pull down on them to see if they are actually stable. This would be my concern vs the looks. Just make sure everything is fastened to the walls and sturdy so you dont have a bunch of dishes crashing down on you.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2767 posts
1542 upvotes
Mississauga
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: As long as its structural painters tape you're good.

Really, its low quality builder cabinets, installed by cheap trades in a rush, sorry if this is too honest. Those gaps in the corners are just insane.

I would probably complain to your builder and see if they do anything about it.

Also, before loading up the cabinets Id put some weight on them, either push or pull down on them to see if they are actually stable. This would be my concern vs the looks. Just make sure everything is fastened to the walls and sturdy so you dont have a bunch of dishes crashing down on you.
To me it looks like base cabinets. I think there is laminate countertop resting on top.
Feb 25, 2004
958 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
It is crazy to have quality standards so low for the biggest expense most will do in their entire life. Seeing the replies and downvotes, it is obvious we (myself included) expect builders to deliver low quality and only hope there isn't something too critical (ex: structural) that was done poorly. Unfortunately it is unrealistic today to have expectations that the work will be done properly.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1494 posts
642 upvotes
JEDI Force wrote: It is crazy to have quality standards so low for the biggest expense most will do in their entire life. Seeing the replies and downvotes, it is obvious we (myself included) expect builders to deliver low quality and only hope there isn't something too critical (ex: structural) that was done poorly. Unfortunately it is unrealistic today to have expectations that the work will be done properly.
It's not that we EXPECT them to deliver low quality, but the honest truth is that they do. It's about volume building and getting the job done as fast as possible by the sub-contractors. That's why you choose your builders carefully and there are some that are better than others, so you have to decide if you want to buy that builder's house or not? I bought an Aspen Ridge home in 1999 and the finishes were not bad and they were rated pretty highly. Not sure what it's like now, but I know that some other builders' quality of build and finish did not compare to mine when I visited other friend's new build houses. In all types of work, you get what you pay for, and most big builders are all about speed and volume, so the subs aren't going to take care to do jobs well when they're on the clock and under the gun to get stuff done as fast as possible.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12597 posts
7322 upvotes
Markham
If that's inside/underside of the cabinet and you can't see unless you "crook" your neck, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Enjoy the new house....wait until the windows and or doors don't open smoothly because of settling/expansion.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45345 posts
5897 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I would worry less about the second photo, under the countertop, and worry more about the first one, assuming that gap is towards the bottom. That gap will open to the baseboard and will be a natural way for critters to go from the basement to your kitchen.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9983 posts
5255 upvotes
Paris
exrcoupe wrote: It's not that we EXPECT them to deliver low quality, but the honest truth is that they do.
Houses would be back to 1,000 square feet if we bought carefully built homes where the people were paid appropriately. Mass groups of houses are built with the lowest bidder who can get the job done as quickly as possible with the cheapest materials possible. It’s why we have “builder” quality vs “renovation” quality stuff.

I have 2 friends who were custom home builders in Oakville. One guy was all top notch, everything was premium and he could barely sell houses. The other guy did 5-10 houses a year and did really well, but he says people dont want to pay for quality, they want to pay for PERCEIVED quality. Bigger this, or bigger that. Junk materials that look pretty. Like a TV set. He retired i his 40s and moved onto to something else. Still in demand, but tired of it.
Last edited by Jerico on Dec 15th, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14633 posts
9032 upvotes
Toronto
Don't let it bother you OP. This is just the new 'life' with buying homes these days. High dollar for meh quality. You'll be losing a lot of sleep over the next 2 years if this really bothers you. Enjoy the new home.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1494 posts
642 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Houses would be back to 1,000 square feet if we bought carefully built homes where the people were paid appropriately. Mass groups of houses are built with the lowest bidder who can get the job done as quickly as possible with the cheapest materials possible. It’s why we have “builder” quality vs “renovation” quality stuff.

I have 2 friends who were custom home builders in Oakville. One guy was all top notch, everything was premium and he could barely sell houses. The other guy did 5-10 houses a year and did really well, but he says people dont want to pay for quality, they want to pay for PERCEIVED quality. Bigger this, or bigger that. Junk materials that look pretty. Like a TV set. He retired i his 40s and moved onto to something else. Still in demand, but tired of it.
Totally agree. Make it look nice, ignore the mess below the surface and don't worry about how many corners were cut.

As I write this right now, I have contractors fixing up my house and even though I've been working from home and watching every step, I still see corners that were cut and I had to call them on it. The nature of the business is that people don't want to pay for full quality work, they just want it to look nice and shiny, so the builders and contractors build to the customer desires.
Jan 7, 2013
708 posts
377 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Disciplinz wrote: What do you mean more damage might be done trying to fix it? What else can go wrong?
The act of trying to take apart the cabinet, removing the countertop, etc could damage your paint, walls, and baseboards
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9983 posts
5255 upvotes
Paris
exrcoupe wrote: Totally agree. Make it look nice, ignore the mess below the surface and don't worry about how many corners were cut.

As I write this right now, I have contractors fixing up my house and even though I've been working from home and watching every step, I still see corners that were cut and I had to call them on it. The nature of the business is that people don't want to pay for full quality work, they just want it to look nice and shiny, so the builders and contractors build to the customer desires.
This site is, in many ways, part of the race to the bottom. Someone can get me a box of detergent for 5 cents cheaper? I’ll buy there. But that 5 cents does come from somewhere...