• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 10:33 am
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
691 posts
253 upvotes
Ontario

Damage in my Condo from Upstairs Neighbour

Hi all, the ceiling in my condo was damaged by an upstairs neighbour. Their dehumidifier leaked into my unit. While the condo corp's insurance will likely cover the cost to fix the drywall, they won't cover the cost to fix the textured ceiling. The ceiling in the entire home will need to be re-done to avoid any seams.

I've been told that I would likely need to go through my own insurance for this, but I have a $1000 deductible. I don't want to be out $$ because of someone else's actions and I don't want my insurance going up. Has anyone been through this scenario before? Any advice?

Note: I haven't contacted my insurance yet as I don't want to start a claim just yet.
4 replies
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Your upstairs neighbour’s personal liability insurance should cover this.
Your insurance company should be going after your neighbour's insurance for this. Take lots of photos, document everything.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Jan 13, 2007
615 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I know someone going through something very similar as well. The neighbor in the condo upstairs had a water leak and damaged the drywall ceiling of their unit which was directly below. The people upstairs denied any wrongdoing or responsibility for the damages.

As I understand it, going through insurance is probably their best course of action. Unfortunately they will be out the deductible ($1,000) but is there anything else they could do to prevent this from happening again in the future? The condo association didn't want to get involved at all.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
691 posts
253 upvotes
Ontario
woofster wrote: I know someone going through something very similar as well. The neighbor in the condo upstairs had a water leak and damaged the drywall ceiling of their unit which was directly below. The people upstairs denied any wrongdoing or responsibility for the damages.

As I understand it, going through insurance is probably their best course of action. Unfortunately they will be out the deductible ($1,000) but is there anything else they could do to prevent this from happening again in the future? The condo association didn't want to get involved at all.
I'm sorry to hear this. In my case, we didn't know the source of the leak so the condo corp came out right away as they wanted to isolate the issue. They came into our unit and the upstairs unit to investigate the source. I even had a report which shows that the neighbour was to blame. Sounds like your friends' condo corp was being lazy.