Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 29, 2012
32 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO

Damage Repair Cost For Small Scratch On Bumper

I scratched my neighbor's 2003 Mercedes E500 while backing out. It has a small 'quarter size' scratch on the front left bumper. Today I got an estimate repair cost for $1100. The details for the repair are below:

1. Overhaul front bumper cover assy
2. Remove/replace front add w/fog lamps
3. remove/replace front add w/parking sensor
4. remove/replace front add w/headlamp washers
5. repair front bumper cover
6. refinish front bumper cover
7. remove/install left front combination lamp
8. remove/install front bumper assy
9. refinish front bumper cover
10. remove/install left fender moulding
11. repair left fender panel (alum)
12 additional cost - flex additive
13. Additional OPR Clear Coat
14. Additional Cost - Paint/material

This is a ripoff, please advise how should I proceed with this?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Well, since you caused the accident, you really only have two choices: pay your neighbour or tell him to go through insurance.

While I agree that it's a ripoff, there's nothing much you can do because you're at fault.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2012
32 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
My neighbor was washing his car and blocking part of the laneway when I was backing out. Is it legal to park your car on the laneway?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3643 posts
765 upvotes
Halong wrote: My neighbor was washing his car and blocking part of the laneway when I was backing out. Is it legal to park your car on the laneway?
hit a kid while you are backing out also if they are on ur driveway.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Halong wrote: My neighbor was washing his car and blocking part of the laneway when I was backing out. Is it legal to park your car on the laneway?
So you're telling me that you backed out without looking. What would you say if a kid was there instead of the car? :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10248 posts
2007 upvotes
The OP sounds like those biege corolla drivers who can't drive, hit someone on the road, and claim the other guy was asking for it by driving beside him.

He should just pay up and call it a day. He thinks maybe the neighbour should pay for the damages instead. Doesn't make sense does it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6140 posts
872 upvotes
Greely
OP, you're at fault. Man up and pay the estimate or tell him/her to call their insurance company.

Those are your options.
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
130 upvotes
Montr
So OP you went outside Sat in your car all this without looking around. Someone was washing his car behind your so the car is parked not even moving and you managed to hit the dam car?? Your license should be voided
[OP]
Apr 29, 2012
32 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
All I am saying is $1100 for a small scratch on the bumper is a ripoff, I am getting a few estimates from a few other repair shops. I am asking about laneway by-laws if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything.
spike1128 wrote: The OP sounds like those biege corolla drivers who can't drive, hit someone on the road, and claim the other guy was asking for it by driving beside him.

He should just pay up and call it a day. He thinks maybe the neighbour should pay for the damages instead. Doesn't make sense does it?
[OP]
Apr 29, 2012
32 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Actually, the garage laneway is very narrow, I was partially blocked by two other trucks parking in front of my garage. His car was behind the trucks, I scratched his car while I was maneuvering around the trucks.
tutchio wrote: So OP you went outside Sat in your car all this without looking around. Someone was washing his car behind your so the car is parked not even moving and you managed to hit the dam car?? Your license should be voided
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25651 posts
4790 upvotes
Halong wrote: All I am saying is $1100 for a small scratch on the bumper is a ripoff, I am getting a few estimates from a few other repair shops. I am asking about laneway by-laws if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything.
You can get all the estimates you want, he is entitled to ask for $1 million if he wants. If you don't give him what he wants, he'll go through insurance and you'll have an at-fault accident on your file. It may or may not raise your rates (probably will) but if you get a 2nd accident, claim or ticket, then you could be looking at a huge premium increase.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25651 posts
4790 upvotes
Halong wrote: Actually, the garage laneway is very narrow, I was partially blocked by two other trucks parking in front of my garage. His car was behind the trucks, I scratched his car while I was maneuvering around the trucks.
That's all irrelevant. He was parked and you hit his car, that's all that matters. Even if he was parked directly behind you, you can't just hit his car.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Halong wrote: All I am saying is $1100 for a small scratch on the bumper is a ripoff, I am getting a few estimates from a few other repair shops. I am asking about laneway by-laws if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything.
It doesn't matter. His car was stationary and you hit a stationary car. He could break a by-law and you're still at fault.

You can only hope that he'll accept the few other estimates, but because you're at fault he doesn't need to.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5691 posts
1448 upvotes
i hate people like you.

***** up - and then want to cheap out and waste his time. Ideally your neighbour tells you to suck it and goes through insurance.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4324 upvotes
Sounds about right. It's a Mercedes-Benz after all.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1344 upvotes
That's fine, but as others have already alluded to, since you're 100% at fault, you've got " 0 " leverage in this situation.

Going outside of insurance, the guy you hit can pick any shop he wants, so getting multiple repair quotes may prove to be meaningless - i.e. at the end of the day, HE gets to pick the shop HE wants.

So, you either pay him what he wants or you go though insurance with a ' 100% at fault ' claim - either way, you're snookered.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2839 posts
864 upvotes
Halong wrote: I scratched my neighbor's 2003 Mercedes E500 while backing out. It has a small 'quarter size' scratch on the front left bumper. Today I got an estimate repair cost for $1100. The details for the repair are below:

1. Overhaul front bumper cover assy
2. Remove/replace front add w/fog lamps
3. remove/replace front add w/parking sensor
4. remove/replace front add w/headlamp washers
5. repair front bumper cover
6. refinish front bumper cover
7. remove/install left front combination lamp
8. remove/install front bumper assy
9. refinish front bumper cover
10. remove/install left fender moulding
11. repair left fender panel (alum)
12 additional cost - flex additive
13. Additional OPR Clear Coat
14. Additional Cost - Paint/material

This is a ripoff, please advise how should I proceed with this?
Halong wrote: Actually, the garage laneway is very narrow, I was partially blocked by two other trucks parking in front of my garage. His car was behind the trucks, I scratched his car while I was maneuvering around the trucks.
OP, you're completely at fault. You hit his car, you had no right to do that (regardless of if your neighbor was blocking your driveway illegally). Even if he was blocking the driveway (which is illegal), you should've gotten him to move the car before you backed out OR called a towing company or police to complain and have it towed if it was really in your way (poor neighbor etiquette, but hey.) However, your judgement told you that you were able to maneuver through the cars safely -- so it's your poor judgement that is the source of the problem here. You had other options available, but you chose not to think or consider them.

For the record, $1100 is not unreasonable for having a bumper re-painted on a Mercedes-Benz. My girlfriend was given an ML350 as a beater (I know, right? :facepalm :) -- she has scratched the bumper before and we went to the dealership to get a quote on the repair. ~$4000 is the estimate that they gave us, so consider yourself somewhat lucky for not having to pay for the luxury MB treatment.
Jun 19, 2005
568 posts
go through insurance for peace of mind. that way everything is final with nothing else creeping up down the road.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8327 posts
2006 upvotes
Mont-Royal
You can do it myself. Mind posting a pic? I had a huge scratch so deep in metal and it was huge on the rocket panel of my 2 months old new acura tsx 2012, and did t myself. It wasn't perfectly done because of the weather and of my first experience, but you can easily get it done yourself with less than 100$ of tools including the respirator. Plus carquest has matching paint.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101