Shopping Discussion

Damage to washer during delivery, what should I ask for?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 7:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes

Damage to washer during delivery, what should I ask for?

Bought a washing machine & dryer from Lowe's that they delivered. Dryer was fine, but washer has scratches all down the one side.

They only offered 10% back ($90). I said I'd rather have it replaced, but will apparently take 2-3 weeks to arrive as they have to order another one.

What is fair compensation? They keep pushing me to keep the old one, which I might consider for the right price.

I feel like if I get a replacement, I should get some compensation anyways for the hassle of waiting?

17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
Fair compensation would be an extended warranty, because you don't know how those scratches were created.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2880 posts
2892 upvotes
GTA
Hmm, so are you able to hook up and use 'damaged' washer now, with no issues if returning "used washer" to replace with 'new'?

Extended warranty sounds reasonable ... they have to pay for shipping to get new one delivered + delivery back to warehouse ... and what happens to the scratched one.

Sounds like they are trying to mitigate their losses by having you keep the scratched washer.

If you get a replacement, I doubt they will give you any compensation, for the hassle of waiting, however you can always try.

And if that doesn't work, and you're comfortable with keeping 'scratched washer', how about ask for 20 - 25% discount, and see what they say?
[OP]
Oct 7, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Hmm, so are you able to hook up and use 'damaged' washer now, with no issues if returning "used washer" to replace with 'new'?

And if that doesn't work, and you're comfortable with keeping 'scratched washer', how about ask for 20 - 25% discount, and see what they say?
No, I refused delivery since it was damaged so it went back to the store. They're trying to convince me to take it back instead of ordering a new one.

I was thinking of asking 30% or equal value in extended warranty to make it worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2880 posts
2892 upvotes
GTA
Ah, so you have no washer (or your old one) to use until you receive new one in 3 - 4 weeks?

Hmm, hopefully, if they send it back to you, it won't come with more scratches :(

At this point, if it were me, I would ask for a new one that is undamaged, with a 10% discount!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35074 posts
21041 upvotes
Center of Universe
+1 for extended warranty.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15375 posts
8256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Let's put a little thought into this...

I would go to a 'discount' appliance place that sells the units that have been dinged and scratched - all major appliance retailers have such a location as it happens to all of them. Check out their average mark-downs on those units and use that as a basis for your compensation.... judging from the price differences I saw, 10% off is no-where near enough compensation and Lowes knows this as that's why they are pushing you to take the deal.

Here's an example of what I mean that I found online - Whirlpool WFW85HEFC washing machine at Best Buy which is currently on promo for $959.99 ($190 off their regular price) - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/wh ... 56199.aspx?. Best Buy also has a scratch and dent one for $767.99 or $192 off the promo price or $382 off their regular price - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/wh ... 47023.aspx?.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14884 posts
2860 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Minimum 20% off. I'd take extended warranty instead though.
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
287 upvotes
I had a fridge delivered to me that was scratched towards the bottom, I was given another one a few weeks later but the delivery guys didn't pick up the one that was scratched, it's been over 2 years, it's in my basement loaded with stuff.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3233 posts
1579 upvotes
Mississauga
Extended warranty without question.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
weedb0y wrote: Minimum 20% off. I'd take extended warranty instead though.
Why not both?
20% off plus the extended warranty.

I wonder why Lowe's doesn't just have the scratched panel replaced.
They don't pay nearly as much for replacement parts as the consumer and they probably have staff on hand that can replace the panel.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
krs wrote: Why not both?

I wonder why Lowe's doesn't just have the scratched panel replaced.
They don't pay nearly as much for replacement parts as the consumer and they probably have staff on hand that can replace the panel.
If replacing panels were that easy and cheap, the would be no 'scratch and dent' sections in appliance stores.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15413 posts
16505 upvotes
Oakville
OP, what store did you buy from?
Last year I had a washer/dryer delivered from them. The delivery company Ovation Logics is a nightmare.
First they delivered a week late. Then they didn't show up the first day. The next day they said they'd be there at 1pm, but didn't show up until 8pm.
Then they dropped the dryer so and damaged it so it wasn't square, so they took it back, leaving the washer.
A week passes and they haven't delivered. Home Depot offers $100 off for my trouble.
It eventually takes 3 more weeks and many calls and visits to HD before it's delivered.
I ended up with $300 back but it really wasn't worth all of the trouble. The set was about $1400.
A year later and I'm very happy with the LG set, but still have PTSD when I see the washer/dryer section in the HD flyer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Ottomaddox wrote: If replacing panels were that easy and cheap, the would be no 'scratch and dent' sections in appliance stores.
I had a panel replaced - the top of a washer that some service man climbed up on and bent.
Panel wasn't cheap - around $200.-
But that was for me as a consumer, Lowe's would pay half that or less.

The problem is that it's too much of a hassle to do this for items in the scratch and bent section which are often older models and the cost would not be recouped.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2007
59 posts
25 upvotes
krs wrote: Why not both?
So I asked for 25%, but they wouldn't go above 10% (or 2 yrs extended warranty, both only worth about $100 in value).

I said I'd rather have a new one for that. At least they expedited shipping, so instead of the 3 weeks they said at first, now the replacement will be delivered within the week.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2224 posts
1570 upvotes
SW Ontario
As them for Gift Cards instead of cashback ... you will get more and it costs them less.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2052 posts
1486 upvotes
Home Depot sent me a new stove top and fridge (in separate orders). Somehow, they got both of them damaged on arrival. Refused delivered and just used the old one... but it did take three weeks before they shipped a new one in.