• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 12:28 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2016
29 posts
2 upvotes

Damaged Car - Insurance for Rental

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to this insurance stuff so I just want to post a quick question regarding my issue. Yesterday my neighbour's friend backed up into my vehicle (my car was parked in front of my house) causing damage. I have called the insurance and made a claim for it. I asked about rental vehicles and they said it is covered up to $1500. I read that if I'm 0% at fault and the other driver is 100% at fault, their insurance would cover my rental cost? Would I just go to Enterprise (insurance sent me there) and tell them the situation and they would deal with the billing? How would this work?

The situation is I'm 19 and need my car to commute to school (50km commute) so would they also allow me to drive the rental? I'm located in Ontario. I'm hoping someone could clarify my questions. Thank you very much.
7 replies
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
Voda14 wrote: Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to this insurance stuff so I just want to post a quick question regarding my issue. Yesterday my neighbour's friend backed up into my vehicle (my car was parked in front of my house) causing damage. I have called the insurance and made a claim for it. I asked about rental vehicles and they said it is covered up to $1500. I read that if I'm 0% at fault and the other driver is 100% at fault, their insurance would cover my rental cost? Would I just go to Enterprise (insurance sent me there) and tell them the situation and they would deal with the billing? How would this work?

The situation is I'm 19 and need my car to commute to school (50km commute) so would they also allow me to drive the rental? I'm located in Ontario. I'm hoping someone could clarify my questions. Thank you very much.
You might want to check with insurance to see if they can get you a car.
I believe most rental companies only rent to 21+ except for Hertz, which rents to 20+.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18505 posts
2877 upvotes
Langley
Don't the body shops in Ontario have loaner cars? I know it's common here since I've worked at a few of them.
[OP]
Aug 20, 2016
29 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the reply guys. I've called my insurance and even the representative there had no idea and directed me to another rental company, but since today was Saturday evening, it was closed. Regarding the answer from i6s1, I have not heard of body shops having loaner cars. I will try and ask them when I visit. I'm hoping they will have something since I'm in need of a vehicle for school :/
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1928 posts
694 upvotes
Kitchener
In ontario, if your are not at fault the rental is automatically included as part of your DCPD coverage. If you were at fault then you needed to have the OPCF 20 coverage which normally has limits of $1500 or so. Each company has slight different deefaults for the OPCF 20. OP, in your case since your not at fault the rental would be part of the DCPD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8879 posts
1461 upvotes
Ontario
not sure where you read that the other guys insurance would pay for your rental, as this is incorrect. In ontario when its a not at fault accident, you don't need the OPCF 20 (rental car coverage), you would automatically get a rental once the other party's insurance has assumed fault. The only thing I can think of is that they, your insurance, have not received confirmation of fault; therefore, have told you it will fall under the OPCF 20.. however, if this is the case, they would have also told you to pay your collision deductible until they received the confirmation of fault.

RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4368 posts
774 upvotes
go to a body shop and they have connections to enterprise rental and usually would bring the car to the body shop.
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
520 upvotes
NORTH YORK

Yes enterprise will rent you a car but only after you have authorization from the insurance company (through arms or calling it in.)
19-21 you need to have the dealership or insurance company pay for you to have a rental.

And bonus points for you is that they can't even offer you insurance as you are pretty much guaranteed to damage the rental (statistically speaking. )

And everything will be billed to your insurance company just so you know.

And do not ever take a rental from the body shop.