Home & Garden

Damaged sidewalk after construction

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 6:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto

Damaged sidewalk after construction

There was some damage done to 2 sidewalk blocks during construction and I understand that the homeowner is financially liable for the damages that the city will have to repair. However, someone has marked 6 blocks to be replaced when there are only 2 damaged. I understand the city has a rule or a policy to replace 3 blocks at the same time but why are good blocks being replaced is beyond me and I will be the one footing the bill. They could replace the 2 damaged blocks and 1 good one between them but I can't get an answer as to why additional 3 are being replaced.

Has anyone dealt with the city on matters similar to this? This is in Etobicoke.
Images
  • 20201014_101304.jpg
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2398 posts
1623 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
They probably have a contract with the concrete supplier for a minimum purchase of concrete, in this case it would be enough for 3 sections.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1576 posts
1319 upvotes
GTA
rcmpvet wrote: They probably have a contract with the concrete supplier for a minimum purchase of concrete, in this case it would be enough for 3 sections.
Yeah, could just be a minimum charge thing, the concrete could cost the same either way, and the crew might have a minimum charge to might as well do more.

Have you been in contact with the City, have they said they will be billing you, and have they provided an estimate to you for cost of works? Even if it is T&M, you can still ask for a quote.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15127 posts
9592 upvotes
Toronto
IIRC, blocks are set in sets of 3 and based on your pic, the insulation sheathing is on the first and 4th block, hence 6 need to be replaced.
Capture.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
1153 posts
588 upvotes
Longueuil
They could simply cut between the blocks, I am not sure why they would have to replace the whole set of blocks if some some of them are good. At least that is what they do in my city, often they will only replace a single block. Concrete production has a major negative environmental impact, I don't think it would look good for the city to replace undamaged blocks.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: IIRC, blocks are set in sets of 3 and based on your pic, the insulation sheathing is on the first and 4th block, hence 6 need to be replaced.
Capture.JPG
What is an insulation sheathing on the sidewalk?
JEDI Force wrote: They could simply cut between the blocks, I am not sure why they would have to replace the whole set of blocks if some some of them are good. At least that is what they do in my city, often they will only replace a single block. Concrete production has a major negative environmental impact, I don't think it would look good for the city to replace undamaged blocks.
Yeah, insanity. They could just replace 2 damaged blocks and 1 in between them if they have a 3 block rule but whatever else needs to happen shouldn't be at a homeowner's expense.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15127 posts
9592 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: What is an insulation sheathing on the sidewalk?


Yeah, insanity. They could just replace 2 damaged blocks and 1 in between them if they have a 3 block rule but whatever else needs to happen shouldn't be at a homeowner's expense.
Concert forms without footings need something to prevent frost heaving and so if you talk a walk where there's slabs of concert, you'll notice something about 1" thick between slabs or in this case, between 3 sections or so of sidewalk. A 3 block rule is a rule, and how can you tear up a middle block without damaging an adjacent piece or keep that from lifting 2" into the sky after a few winters?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Concert forms without footings need something to prevent frost heaving and so if you talk a walk where there's slabs of concert, you'll notice something about 1" thick between slabs or in this case, between 3 sections or so of sidewalk. A 3 block rule is a rule, and how can you tear up a middle block without damaging an adjacent piece or keep that from lifting 2" into the sky after a few winters?
Expansion joint? They can replace 2 damaged blocks and a good one in between that will suffice for their 3 block rule.
Images
  • edi1.jpg
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1161 posts
351 upvotes
Oakville, ON
koffey wrote: IIRC, blocks are set in sets of 3 and based on your pic, the insulation sheathing is on the first and 4th block, hence 6 need to be replaced.

Capture.JPG
That's not insultation sheathing. That's just an expansion joint and the object you circled is a fiber board. You are on the right track though as they will be able to easily pull up the panels starting from the expansion joints. Otherwise they would cause damage to the adjacent panels if they only took the 2 panels out.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15127 posts
9592 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: Expansion joint? They can replace 2 damaged blocks and a good one in between that will suffice for their 3 block rule.
So sheathing, expansion joint, whatever you want to call it. Why don't you ask the city if you don't like what the answer is? I told you why.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: So sheathing, expansion joint, whatever you want to call it. Why don't you ask the city if you don't like what the answer is? I told you why.
Because the city's sloppy contractors can replace what's damaged if they try hard enough. It's being done in other municipalities, but for whatever reason, it can't be done in Toronto.
Sr. Member
Oct 30, 2017
563 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
How much are they charging you to get that replaced?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15127 posts
9592 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: Because the city's sloppy contractors can replace what's damaged if they try hard enough.
Ok, and if it was something of yours and someone else had to pay for it, would you want it done improperly just to save time/money? I elect to believe no. Do it right the first time and the way it's supposed to be done. In fact, I believe that you would spend the money and get it done right the first time around regardless of what it is.

Maybe you or your sloppy contractors should have been more careful and try harder. Maybe get your contractors to fix it or pay the bill.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
MetalGear wrote: How much are they charging you to get that replaced?
I don't know yet. It's coming out of my road damage deposit but it looks like the inspector is finding every reason to keep every penny of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Ok, and if it was something of yours and someone else had to pay for it, would you want it done improperly just to save time/money? I elect to believe no. Do it right the first time and the way it's supposed to be done. In fact, I believe that you would spend the money and get it done right the first time around regardless of what it is.

Maybe you or your sloppy contractors should have been more careful and try harder. Maybe get your contractors to fix it or pay the bill.
The city does very little things right. New curbs poured on my neighbour's property all cracked and chipped after the first month of finishing the job but no one is being held responsible for poor material quality and worksmanship.
Sr. Member
Oct 30, 2017
563 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: I don't know yet. It's coming out of my road damage deposit but it looks like the inspector is finding every reason to keep every penny of it.
How did the sidewalk get damaged to begin with? If someone you hired damaged it then they should pay for that damage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
MetalGear wrote: How did the sidewalk get damaged to begin with? If someone you hired damaged it then they should pay for that damage.
Most likely cement trucks when the foundation was getting poured. I did not see the cracks until the snow melted.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15127 posts
9592 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: The city does very little things right. New curbs poured on my neighbour's property all cracked and chipped after the first month of finishing the job.
Cracked and chipped is just probably wear and tear and from frost, sidewalk graders.... That doesn't equate to improper or incorrect method unless you've been there and watched with extensive understanding of the methods and procedures used/performed. I'm done with this thread. Hope it works out and you get a brand new properly installed sidewalk.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2080 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Cracked and chipped is just probably wear and tear and from frost, sidewalk graders.... That doesn't equate to improper or incorrect method unless you've been there and watched with extensive understanding of the methods and procedures used/performed. I'm done with this thread. Hope it works out and you get a brand new properly installed sidewalk.
It's actually another city inspector that said the quality of concrete used for concrete work is low quality.
Jr. Member
Feb 4, 2018
121 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
This was our experience from about 3 years ago:

1. We live in Toronto. We were concerned that a mature, city-planted tree on the boulevard (city-owned property) had damaged the bottom part of our driveway (damage was caused by tree roots).
2. We raised the issue with our municipal office--they directed a tree service company to survey the damage, and cut tree roots where necessary.
3. The tree service company used a saw to cut offending roots, but inadvertently damaged a big chunk off the edge of the adjacent sidewalk.
4. We reported the damaged sidewalk to the municipal office; we had concerns about people (young and old) injuring themselves.
5. A few months later, we received, by Canada Post, an invoice from the municipal office for just under $2000. to repair the damaged sidewalk. We were deemed liable for this expense because the damage occurred in front of our property.
6. We contacted our city councillor's office, explained the situation, and within 72 hours we received a revocation of the invoice. We specified we wanted a revocation by mail (Canada Post) as well as by email.

To date, this piece of sidewalk has not been fixed.

Top