Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
469 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto

Damaged wheel hub?

I normally take my car to get my seasonal tires swapped at my friend's shop. Last winter I couldn't go so I took it to Canadian tire. This season I decided to just start doing it myself, so I got the tools necessary and after jacking up my car and removing the first wheel, I noticed the following:

http://imgur.com/hupfytm,Rstzt9A

This red mark and that bend wasn't on the other 4 tires. I mounted the remaining 4 all seasons and the car drives fine but I do notice a little bumpiness at low speeds (< 20kmph) but at highway speeds it's ok. I'm wondering if this is an issue that should be addressed. I don't know what caused it or when it could've occured either. Any advice?

This is a 2008 Honda Accord coupe v6, front driver side hub.
4 replies
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
58 upvotes
Although it seems strange that its only on the one wheel (have you ever had an axle replaced?), that is not damage it is normal. The indent is there and the nut is essentially bent into the groove cut in the axle so the nut cant loosen itself. Typically there will be a cotter pin or somesort of locking bolt, this is just one type of locking bolt.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1805 posts
512 upvotes
They bent the nut in so your axel nut won't spin off the cv axel when driving, my cars have a cotter pin there though, what did the other side look like ?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16623 posts
5238 upvotes
London
That's normal. It's a locking mechanism that prevents the big nut from rotating loose.

When the nut is installed and torqued, the tech uses a chisel to bend the tab to lock it into position